Dynadot

Cheap Web host for File Hosting Site

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm planning to start a file hosting site.. I'm searching for a web host for it.. Who do you think is the cheapest host which allow file hosting or file sharing site.. Please tell me about their plans.. :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For a popular file hosting site, you will probably need to purchase a high-hdd and high-bandwidth VPS or dedicated server.

Most shared/reseller hosting providers do not allow file/image hosting sites running off their shared servers.

•••
Google for file hosting providers, check those plans offering cheap dedicated deals serverpronto.com, hqhost.net.

•••
Why don't you try Amazon Web Services. These are the costs related to their file storage service:

Storage
$0.15 per GB-Month of storage used

Data Transfer
$0.10 per GB - all data transfer in
$0.18 per GB - first 10 TB / month data transfer out
$0.16 per GB - next 40 TB / month data transfer out
$0.13 per GB - data transfer out / month over 50 TB

Requests
$0.01 per 1,000 PUT or LIST requests
$0.01 per 10,000 GET and all other requests*
* No charge for delete requests

Hope it helps :)

•••
ixwebhosting.com
They offer you unlimited space and bandwidth.

They are not the scammer company

•••
I've used Ixwebhosting before. Not too bad at all! They come recommended at least.

•••
Most hosts won't allow you to use their space for file hosting. So you cannot pick a host just from what they offer.
There are many hosts offering huge specs on disk space and bandwidth, but they will not allow you to use them file servers.
So it would be better to ask the host before you sign up with them.
By the way, what is your budget?

•••
I think that if you google for file hosting or make search on WHT youn will find something interesting.

•••
•••
I think hes lookign to start his own. Just dont be fooled and read TOS many Oversellers put something to only give you 5 gigs space when thre advertizing 5TB

•••
JamesIsCool said:
I think hes lookign to start his own. Just dont be fooled and read TOS many Oversellers put something to only give you 5 gigs space when thre advertizing 5TB

Even that will not be a question as most will not allow you to use them as a file server.

•••
Try startlogic, bluehost, ipower or ixhosting. They are pretty good.

•••
You must also be aware of the server's php_max_file_size, if you are offering public file uploading. The default in PHP is 2MB I think, so people wouldn't be able to upload files bigger.

•••
james2002 said:
Try startlogic, bluehost, ipower or ixhosting. They are pretty good.

But I don't think that they allow file servers.
You will have to look for file server hosts specifically, or I would suggest you to start with a VPS or even a dedicated server, if you have budget and if you think that you will be growing soon.

•••
iHubNet-Matt said:
But I don't think that they allow file servers.
You will have to look for file server hosts specifically, or I would suggest you to start with a VPS or even a dedicated server, if you have budget and if you think that you will be growing soon.

Are you sure they don't allow file servers? I think file storage should be okay with shared hosting. If you are not sure, you can always talk to their customer advisers through live chat.

•••
yphanh2002 said:
ixwebhosting.com
They offer you unlimited space and bandwidth.

They are not the scammer company
Anywebsite that offers unlimmited space is a scammer sure you can get a 1 tb hard drive for 150 (after maintence and cpanel) but even then it has its limmits.

•••
There are lists of free file hosting sites available in the Net, but the best way out is definitely a VPS or dedicated plan. Cheapvps.com, serverpoint.com, vpsland.com, a2hosting.com, vpslink.com and many others offer vps plans, just make sure the host allows it in his TOS.

•••
I have used Netfirms to host file-sharing sites before. They are running a very good special (from Maximum PC) right now: http://www.netfirms.com/max

Cheers! :)

•••
There are lists of free file hosting sites available in the Net
I think that this way you shouldn't consider at all, unless you are ready for perpetual searching. :imho:

•••
james2002 said:
Are you sure they don't allow file servers? I think file storage should be okay with shared hosting. If you are not sure, you can always talk to their customer advisers through live chat.

many hosts, especially large oversellers won't allow file hosting in their servers. They will need a specific percentage of files directly linked to the website. This restriction along with others actually helps them to prevent a user from using the complete space they offer.

•••
My hosting is cheap below i just dont want to say the site cause i might get kicked of lol

•••
Be careful as well with "File limits". I've been with a host which says "800gb of space and 7.5tb of bandwidth" but in the small print it says that you can't have more than 20,000 individual files, so be careful of that. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back