Dynadot

news Change to OneDrive Free Storage Limit

NameSilo
Watch

Atta

Top Member
Impact
Recently, I received an email from Microsoft that they changed the OneDrive free storage limit from 15GB to just 5GB. The text of the email says:

We want to let you know about some upcoming changes to OneDrive. On July 27, 2016, the amount of storage that comes with OneDrive will change from 15 GB to 5 GB. We are also discontinuing the 15 GB camera roll bonus. You can learn more at our FAQ.

There is no action you need to take, because your OneDrive account is currently below the new storage limits.

Just wondering what caused Microsoft to go so hard on free tier customers. It may severely effects those who are using OneDrive for storing their files, photos and more.

I mostly use Google Drive which is far better than OneDrive. What do you use?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There were a lot of people using onedrive to share whole movies and such

I also use onedrive since I have office365 (ie, annual payments) but I think it was a mistake on their part since G gives 15GB for free

•••
Yes! Sharing whole movies can be a reason Microsoft considered as misuse. Another reason can be Office365 annual subscription. They are actively looking to bring as many people as possible on Office365 platform.

•••
If only office worked .. excel has so many problems it's unreal. I constantly long for the 2003 version which was my favourite :)
still,
each office subscription comes with 5 licenses, each with 1TB onedrive storage, 60mins free skype and full office usage (ofc) .. that's not bad I think.
I was between buying office 2016 or paying the subscription, I ended paying the subscription for the above extras

•••
No doubt, the latest versions of Office are really cool. I like them too. I own OneDrive account since I created my hotmail email account. I am not an active user of it. Just thought it may effect some folks.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back