Dynadot

CGI Proxy -- Weird Error

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hey,

I used the reccomended installer to install cgi proxy on my server, http://install.xav.com/?p=cgiproxy , after installation i opened up the installed nph-proxy.pl file and replaced it all with the updated version released from jmarshall.com.. however whenever i rename it to anything like proxy.pl or nphproxy.pl it throws me an internal server error :S

http://www.jmarshall.com/tools/cgiproxy/nph-proxy-beta.cgi.txt

Is the source if that can help anyone to debug me :P

I've tried just manually installing it and it just gives me a white page... although when i run it in ssh it works fine :/

Thanks!

Sam Cleaver

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
you need to keep nph- in the name, so nph-whatever

•••
Why didnt i think of that! I salute you sir! Rep++; Out of interest is there anyway not to have it?

•••
Not sure, you could try using mod_rewrite.

•••
Yeah, .htaccess should work.

BTW, why are you using CGI Proxy? The new PHP proxy is better (IMO) than CGI.

•••
Hmm, it kinda works... but it does some dodgy things whilst you're using it, if you type google.com it goes there, click images and it says some error thing, then go to myspace.com and it gives you some huge alert :P

EDIT: I'm using CGI Proxy because i've had numerous issues with PHP Proxy, im currently using PHP Proxy on my proxy for beaver6813.com but its very very shaky with myspace and sites that use weird javascript, CGI Proxy on the otherhand (the latest version) has full javascript support. PHP Proxy when i tried to install the latest release also kept telling me that viewing the index.php file was forbidden every now and then, when its permissions said otherwise ^^

•••
tm said:
BTW, why are you using CGI Proxy? The new PHP proxy is better (IMO) than CGI.
I've always liked CGI Proxy more than PHProxy because of how easy it is to edit the layout and things. All you have to do is copy the form HTML and use it on any page whereas PHProxy has bunch of crap on it's index page that you need. (I haven't looked at the newer version, so I am assuming it's still similar to that.)

•••
Dan said:
I've always liked CGI Proxy more than PHProxy because of how easy it is to edit the layout and things. All you have to do is copy the form HTML and use it on any page whereas PHProxy has bunch of crap on it's index page that you need. (I haven't looked at the newer version, so I am assuming it's still similar to that.)

It's quite a bit less php but I agree it's a lot harder to customize than CGI Proxy. Thing is though, the amount of server resources it saves is ginormous. (hah, havn't used that word in a while :p).

•••
:) The newest version for PHProxy... even though it repeatedly didn't work as i said above for me, the guy has created a index.inc.php file that seems to be slightly easier to modify.. hes totally recoded it all :/ Which in a way is good and in a way is bad :P

I guess i'll have to learn perl to make modifications to this script ^^

•••
You should really contact your host if a script like that won't work...

•••
tm said:
You should really contact your host if a script like that won't work...

I am my host :-} And it does work.. but because its like version 0.70 beta or whatever its really shaky and often decides to go on strike :P

•••
CGI takes up 10 times more resources than PHProxy does, thats one reason. CGI Scripts are harder to install because of all the different settings, it can work on one server and not on the next. CGI Errors are also hard to fix because they do not give detailed errors, just Internal Server Error, unlike PHP which gives a more detailed error.

Personally I stay away from CGI because it is very CPU intensive.. Very hard on VPS's and other things which is why alot of hosts block CGI Based Forums.

- Steve

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back