Dynadot

question Celebrity Domains

NameSilo
Watch

Yugosavianguy

Impact
Hello,

I apologize if thsi has been asked already. I could not find this question answered during my search.

I saw a week ago a post that elonmusk.io had been purchased for 50,000 dollars by someone who is not Elon Musk. I was surprised when I heard that, since while that is a lot of money for someone like me, I was supprised someone rich did not buy that already.

I am new to domains and during browsing on whois.com, I notice many celebrity domains still available. Specifically of politicians I do not like ;). And they are as chep as 10 euros.

Why would someone not buy a celebrity domain? Is that there is risk of them being sued? Or that a webhosting service will not host it? I just would like to know before I waste money on purchasing one to potentially "prank" politicians I do not like :P

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nobody is going to say it is a good idea. Defend an accusation of slander against millionaires. Just to buy a letter to reply cost multiple times what you paid and some.

Last edited:
•••
Nobody is going to say it is a good idea. Defend an accusation of slander against millionaires. Just to buy a letter to reply cost multiple times what you paid and some.

Cool, thanks.

I'm not planning on slandering anyone. I was using the politician one more as a hypothetical example..really I'm planning on writing open letters. I've never seen this done before, and since it's my first amendment right to use my words, I don't see how this would be an issue.

I just wasn't sure why no one had thought about doing this beforehand?

Thanks a ton

•••
When you say "Why would someone not buy a celebrity domain?", I would say why "would you". Maybe the person that bought ElonMusk.io has plans, such as merchandise. Who knows. Personally, owning a celebrities name on the internet seems dumb, even a bit lame. I don't even think the real Elon Musk owns his .com, he doesn't give a *bleep*

•••
It really doesn't matter whether innocent or guilty defending accusation will send you broke.

•••
I bought it. Trying to get in touch with him. No slander involved only praise.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back