Dynadot

.mobi Can't use .mobi for regular site?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Is it true that you can't develop a .mobi like any other TLD's. Like say putting a vBulletin forum onto a .mobi.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are a couple of issues. The obvious being that the site would need to fit on a mobile screen & it would have to be valid xhtml. The site has to comply with the .mobi specifications. Another issue could be page size (kb). Larger pages cause out of memory errors on some of the simulators I have tried.

http://pc.mtld.mobi/documents/dotmobi_Switch_On_Web_Developer_Guide3.html

You might be able to reformat (or pay someone to do it) a script like vBulletin to render properly on a mobile. There is also the possibility of serving a different style sheet depending on whether the user is acessing the site on a mobile or a PC. The ease of doing this is dependent on how the script is built. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with vBulletin & what makes it tick so I couldn't advise on that.

•••
Just use a header-detect to detect if the user is a mobile or http and divert them to the correct content.

•••
ninedogger said:
Is it true that you can't develop a .mobi like any other TLD's. Like say putting a vBulletin forum onto a .mobi.

Think that there are 2 ways:
1- develop sites for mobile screen.
2- developm sites that links to mobile business .... such as:
cheapcalls.mobi can use as a normal site, it will look like cheapmobilecalls.com
or newfashion.mobi can be use as newmobilefashion.com

so depend on the domain to make it fit to the site style.

•••
many thanks for all the information, its been helpful

just one last question,

if say I didn't want to develop a .mobi I had for a mobile phone, and want to develop a full blown site. Is there a rule against that?

•••
ninedogger said:
many thanks for all the information, its been helpful

just one last question,

if say I didn't want to develop a .mobi I had for a mobile phone, and want to develop a full blown site. Is there a rule against that?

Yes.

The site has to work on a phone or they (.mobi) can pull the name. However, I haven't seen any reason why you can't have a .mobi site that also services PC users by serving a different style sheet upon detection of a desktop browser. It might require some thought though depending on how the site is put together &/or what script is used.

•••
ninedogger said:

As what has been said. In order to comply by Dot Mobi standards. The site needs to be viewable by a phone.

- Steve

•••
iNod said:
As what has been said. In order to comply by Dot Mobi standards. The site needs to be viewable by a phone.

- Steve
The rules are not quite as restrictive as some think. I underlined the minimum requirement which is that a message appear to a phone telling them they need a PC to view the site. :)

From the mobi guides:

What it Means
It is not the intention to restrict the uses that dotMobi registrants put their site to. However, in order to contribute to the overall usability and premium user experience of the dotMobi domain it is important that visitors to sites have the best possible experience of them, even if their devices do not support the formats that registrants wish to support. Consequently, at a minimum, visitors to dotMobi sites must receive a message that is displayable by their browser, directing them to a portion of the site that is accessible to them, or identifying the type of device that is necessary to experience the site properly.

•••
Fundraiser said:
The rules are not quite as restrictive as some think. I underlined the minimum requirement which is that a message appear to a phone telling them they need a PC to view the site. :)

From the mobi guides:

It appears you are correct. While it does state ALOT they want the user to be able to visit the site via a Mobile phone. It does not restrict to only Phones. But it does state they want "phones" and while that is incorrectly worded. By devices it should mean "portable" and not PC devices.

It does require the site to be viewable by a mobile phone. Or a specific section. So PC only websites are not allowed.

Thanks for correcting me.

- Steve

•••
iNod said:
Thanks for correcting me.

- Steve

Hey Steve,
I wasn't really correcting you, I was just showing why reading the small print can be fun. I also enjoy reading registrar and registry agreements in detail too which is really a scary thing to do. Most people probably have no idea the things they agree to in registering a domain name. At enom, they have it set up so that just logging in to your account means that you agree to any terms they may have changed in their terms of service.

I've read your posts before and notice you always try to help folks. Keep up the good work!

Rob

•••
Fundraiser said:
Hey Steve,
I wasn't really correcting you, I was just showing why reading the small print can be fun. I also enjoy reading registrar and registry agreements in detail too which is really a scary thing to do. Most people probably have no idea the things they agree to in registering a domain name. At enom, they have it set up so that just logging in to your account means that you agree to any terms they may have changed in their terms of service.

I've read your posts before and notice you always try to help folks. Keep up the good work!

Rob

lol, thanks for the comments. And to yourself, thanks for helping people.

I have read a few registrars agreements. Most are really long and use big words which have two meanings to try and fool people.

- Steve

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back