NameSilo

auctions Can't sell a single domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Cryptoearn.co

Established Member
Impact
I listed a domain for sale for the past 6-7 months. A few days back I listed it again with lowest at 1$.
In total, I got 3 bids 2,4,6
Now top 2 bidders have declined the offer and my domain is expiring on 4th Oct.

What should I do?
I am not going to do any domain selling.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You need to keep in mind most domains never sell.

They say a GOOD portfolio sells on average 2% of their domains passively a year (if priced and listed at all the marketplaces) .. so on AVERAGE, basically it takes about 50 years for a domain to sell. If you put the domain up at wholesale auction (which shouldn't be your goal in domaining if you want to make money), then that percentage goes WAY higher ... however .. if it's a bad domain, then no smart domainer will ever want to buy it because they probably won't be able to sell it.

Unfortunately when a new domainer is so new that they need to ask why they can't sell a domain even for a few dollars, it means the domain(s) is worthless .. and quite honestly there isn't much to do aside from put it up for a no-reserve $1 auction here at namepros and hope to get a few dollars for it.

In reality I'm sorry to say the real answer is that you likely need to get better domains.

For example, CryptoEarn // dot // co is a worthless domain .. if you offered to give it to me for free I wouldn't even bother because the chances of it ever selling are less than 0.01%. The only way it would sell is to a new domainer who doesn't understand domains. Take some time to learn a bit more about what makes a good domain .. because in the end there is no magic solution that can help anyone sell bad domains .. otherwise we'd all be rich! ;)

Last edited:
•••
•••
One URL isn't going to work... It's a numbers game. Shitty names do sell, but you have to have many shitty domains.

•••
You need to keep in mind most domains never sell.

They say a GOOD portfolio sells on average 2% of their domains passively a year (if priced and listed at all the marketplaces) .. so on AVERAGE, basically it takes about 50 years for a domain to sell. If you put the domain up at wholesale auction (which shouldn't be your goal in domaining if you want to make money), then that percentage goes WAY higher ... however .. if it's a bad domain, then no smart domainer will ever want to buy it because they probably won't be able to sell it.

Unfortunately when a new domainer is so new that they need to ask why they can't sell a domain even for a few dollars, it means the domain(s) is worthless .. and quite honestly there isn't much to do aside from put it up for a no-reserve $1 auction here at namepros and hope to get a few dollars for it.

In reality I'm sorry to say the real answer is that you likely need to get better domains.

For example, CryptoEarn // dot // co is a worthless domain .. if you offered to give it to me for free I wouldn't even bother because the chances of it ever selling are less than 0.01%. The only way it would sell is to a new domainer who doesn't understand domains. Take some time to learn a bit more about what makes a good domain .. because in the end there is no magic solution that can help anyone sell bad domains .. otherwise we'd all be rich! ;)

I own the .com CryptoEarn/com :), it's under brokerage atm.

Simple advice for the OP....buy .com only until you understand what constitutes value and demand in domain names. It will take time and a decent amount of studying because there are various factors to account for but eventually once you get it you'll start earning money on your domains.

Last edited:
•••
I second what the NPers have advised above.

I'd add one simple rule of thumb: in 99.9% of cases, word+word works for .com only as investment grade (meaning, yes, you can see lots of word+word in other extensions, but they probably were reg fee and no aftermarket price was paid).

Also, word+word in English has to make sense, although you can still sell high value names with not perfect structure.

So, Crypto/Earn/com, given how crypto can be hot, might work and sell eventually. But the more proper way would have been Earn/Crypto/com.

Again, BuyBooks is great, Bookbuy - not so much (unless, both are verbs like in Book&Buy)

•••
One URL isn't going to work... It's a numbers game. sh*tty names do sell, but you have to have many sh*tty domains.

Yes, it is basically a numbers game combined with luck. It is one important issue I do not like about this business in that you may have very good names and they are unlikely to sell to end-users if you have bad luck, with a not so good name selling because of good luck!

Of course, the above assumes they are reasonably good .com or .org names but with dot-co and numerous other tlds even with luck it will be very difficult, even worse then 1 sale in 100 years.

Last edited:
•••
I listed a domain for sale for the past 6-7 months. A few days back I listed it again with lowest at 1$.

What should I do?

Starting out in domaining you don't want to start with a two word .co if you only have the price of that registration to start with. You probably don't want to start domaining until you have a bigger budget than that.

You want to start with .com, you want to go through GoDaddy closeouts, NameJet 0 or 1 bid, find something you think got overlooked that has commercial appeal.

When you see names that look bad sell that can be for a lot of reasons, backlink profile, former website, etc...

This is not an easy business, and it's really not meant to just handreg a .co and put it at auction. What was the business opportunity for someone to bid on a brand new .co that has someone else explained would be better reversed?

The other thing about auctioning when someone bids and they are outbid, they have no responsibility, you can't leave them negative feedback, if the high bidder defaults, then you can give them negative feedback.

The number one thing when you handreg a name to sell, flip the script. make yourself the buyer.

Why would I buy CryptoEarn.co?
What other options do I have as a handreg so I don't have to pay a premium?

In .co there are many other options, so no one is going to pay a premium, trying to sell it on a domainer's forum is not the right place, people here know the business and know there are options for a crypto name in .co.

•••
OH MY! get out of domaining. It's not for you. Only way you're going to sell anything is if you buy top quality domains. The days of selling handregged domains are over. I mean once in a blue moon you're going to get lucky but that's like panning for gold somewhere in California. You'll eventually find a piece but is it worth the time you spent looking for it??

I sell about 1% of my domains a year just like @Artegy mentioned. And I am happy with that percentage. I mean I can sell 100% but it'll be at reseller prices and that's not ideal for me.

•••
I second what the NPers have advised above.

I'd add one simple rule of thumb: in 99.9% of cases, word+word works for .com only as investment grade (meaning, yes, you can see lots of word+word in other extensions, but they probably were reg fee and no aftermarket price was paid).

Also, word+word in English has to make sense, although you can still sell high value names with not perfect structure.

So, Crypto/Earn/com, given how crypto can be hot, might work and sell eventually. But the more proper way would have been Earn/Crypto/com.

Again, BuyBooks is great, Bookbuy - not so much (unless, both are verbs like in Book&Buy)

I agree. Although Earn crypto is an EMD whereas crypto earn is more of a brand. Book Buy is an excellent example of when the action verb doesn't quite make sense in combination with the noun.

•••

What should I do?
Message me your info (email address, if godaddy), and I send you the codes to a couple URL's that I'm going to let drop. IDecent URL's, but not in my current plan. AND, I have dropped domains before, only to see on the DNjournal sales board - so, you never know.

•••
Poor Fella has 200 posts - and 199 of them are "UP" for his failed sale.... :(

•••
Poor Fella has 200 posts - and 199 of them are "UP" for his failed sale.... :(

I think he should have learned after the 10th up.. persistence doesn't always lead to the outcome you're looking for.

•••
Unfortunately this is why I was concerned about the proposed Micro-Finance Program .. It's just an unfortunate fact that if you don't understand branding AND have a strong command of English, then you'll unfortunately have extremely little chance of succeeding in domaining. Even with those skills, domaining is a tough challenge .. but without those skills you're just going to waste money on domains that simply just will never sell.

I wish I could be a little more positive, but Crypo Earn is a bad awkward combination made infinitely worse by the fact it's in .co (I like .co for strong single word and single-term domains, but this Crypto Earn is just way too weak to ever be in the minds of an end-user.

I suggest you go back and listen to all the old Domain Sherpa shows .. it will also help you with your English at the same time.

All that said ,, at least the domain got a few bids even if they were later voided .. just goes to show that sometimes you can pass off a bad domain to other domainers who also are having the same problems.

I wish you luck with your domain, and I'm sorry for being harsh .. but it's better you hear the truth than to have false hope and spend even more money on similar domains.

Last edited:
•••
CryptoEarn.co is not so bad crypto + earn as words hav values and almost all good 2 words related crypto are taken... So it s a good begening but as said you need more names and more time

•••
Unfortunately this is why I was concerned about the proposed Micro-Finance Program .. It's just an unfortunate fact that if you don't understand branding AND have a strong command of English, then you'll unfortunately have extremely little chance of succeeding in domaining. Even with those skills, domaining is a tough challenge .. but without those skills you're just going to waste money on domains that simply just will never sell.

I wish I could be a little more positive, but Crypo Earn is a bad awkward combination made infinitely worse by the fact it's in .co (I like .co for strong single word and single-term domains, but this Crypto Earn is just way too weak to ever be in the minds of an end-user.

I suggest you go back and listen to all the old Domain Sherpa shows .. it will also help you with your English at the same time.

All that said ,, at least the domain got a few bids even if they were later voided .. just goes to show that sometimes you can pass off a bad domain to other domainers who also are having the same problems.

I wish you luck with your domain, and I'm sorry for being harsh .. but it's better you hear the truth than to have false hope and spend even more money on similar domains.

https://crypto.com/en/earn.html

Additionally quite a few companies using brand+earn in the crypto space. Another important lesson is to understand the trends of naming in the niche your investing in. You'll lose on opportunity if you don't study the trend. The trend is your friend.

Last edited:
•••
lol .. I was actually going to talk about knowledge of various business niches above .. but seemed to stick with the basics first.

That being said .. it could very well be that Brand+Earn is used in Crypto .. it's not proper English, which SOMETIMES can be overcome when used as a brand, but I don't really like the wordflow in this case ... but it's not bad enough to supersede a niche naming standard. What are the companies in question?

I just saw the link you posted .. while I really didn't like the linguistic combo before, seeing it in action it really isn't bad at all purely as a product brand (Earn = Earn Out) .. just to be clear though .. I'd still not buy the .co version .. pretty limited in scope in terms of usability for the .com (which I see you own .. lol) .. not an easy sale .. but you should hit a good multiple if it does actually pay off .. so not a bad risk/reward investment *IF* you got it at a good price! :)

•••
Domaining is like anything else..!
It's a game :
  • You have to learn the rules.
  • You have to learn how to play.
  • You have to learn what is good, and what isn't.
  • You have to make mistakes.
  • You have to practice.
  • You have to spend time and money.
Be patient, because it's everything except being «lucky». There is no luck... there is experience and timing. You have to study what works and what doesn't. To many people start in domaining by thinking they can buy anything for $10 and sell it for $1000. Domaining is not magical..!

In my beginning (around 2003) almost everything was wrong : Wrong names, wrong market, wrong timing, wrong decision..! I've mostly learn how to spend money and lose it by buying anything but good names. Why? Because I didn't know what was a good name, and what was the «market». I had to learn how to build some value around a name or a portfolio of names.

The difference between win or lose in this business is to be «ready» to spend time to learn. Just remember that «SUCCESS» in domaining has to pass through PASSION. Passion will soften the hard and dark side of it.

•••
lol .. I was actually going to talk about knowledge of various business niches above .. but seemed to stick with the basics first.

That being said .. it could very well be that Brand+Earn is used in Crypto .. it's not proper English, which SOMETIMES can be overcome when used as a brand, but I don't really like the wordflow in this case ... but it's not bad enough to supersede a niche naming standard. What are the companies in question?

I just saw the link you posted .. while I really didn't like the linguistic combo before, seeing it in action it really isn't bad at all purely as a product brand (Earn = Earn Out) .. just to be clear though .. I'd still not buy the .co version .. pretty limited in scope in terms of usability for the .com (which I see you own .. lol) .. not an easy sale .. but you should hit a good multiple if it does actually pay off .. so not a bad risk/reward investment *IF* you got it at a good price! :)
100% agree .co version is not ideal. For the term "Crypto Earn" itself...earning interest on crypto, microearning for tasks, task bidding...all in crypto seems broad enough for there to be decent vertical potential...the term is already in use and is searched 6,600/mo | CPC: $1.85...5 months ago the search volume was about 800/mo...so it seems to be ramping up and starting to trend. I can only hope for it to pay off in the long run, but I think my research has been sufficient enough to provide me a decent chance.

•••
Good names bad names 1% 99% wrong .com not time to buy .io on and on and on.
Looking for a enthusiastic broker not a negitive broker to sell 80 .com domains. As time as shown there are no bad names just not the insight on just how important a domain name is for your business. Your business domain is who and what you want to convey. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE NAME.

•••
Thanks everyone for the replies. This is the first thread in namepros that motivated me.
Else every single thread demotivated me and blamed me.

Secondly I want to share some history regarding cryptoearn(.co)

So during my college 2-3 years back, I came up with bitcoin and was really fascinated but though it was risky so that I would not invest on those but earn by getting commission.

So, I registered/grabbed this domain at a deal wrote a script to extract other sites contacting microtasking sites URLs and create a site.( Now just some stupid posts) Most of them being just diff in the crypto address and wrote another script to push my domain name in a chat box which earlier allowed 1 URL per hour. I did not earn a lot yes but I was happy that I was able to make passive income. And yes some referrals still pay(though not worth)

Also, during my site peak my site would rank 2-3 in Google search with "autofaucets" keyword.

At the very same time someone asked me for my domain. I declined my genuinely asking a lot than worth as I was confident I an still do passive income.

But soon the chat box disallowed posting links per hour and it also required manual intervention and now being employed I don't have time so thought of auctioning off.

But yeah learned a lot in this thread unlike other threads

P.S. those ups were not a script

Last edited:
•••
It's important to note that buying a domain and buying a domain with revenue generating content are COMPLETELY different things. When you got the offer it was likely at least 99% because of the website/traffic and less than 1% because of the domain.

And not to get on your back, but people were right to be angry at you .. I'm not sure exactly what happened with your auction, it seems NamePros decided it was void because you changed the timing. Regardless as to if NamePros was right or wrong, it was VERY wrong of you to give the voided bidders negative NP feedback based on what didn't even end up being a valid auction. It's fine for you to be angry at NamePros, because it was their decision (I am NOT saying they were right and I am DEFINITELY NOT saying they were wrong, I didn't see the unedited first post, so it's not my place to judge), but what is clear is that the auction was declared void and the bidders (unfortunately for you) had ZERO obligation to purchase your domain. You need to remove any negative reviews you unjustly gave AND send each person involved a genuine apology.

•••
It's important to note that buying a domain and buying a domain with revenue generating content are COMPLETELY different things. When you got the offer it was likely at least 99% because of the website/traffic and less than 1% because of the domain.

And not to get on your back, but people were right to be angry at you .. I'm not sure exactly what happened with your auction, it seems NamePros decided it was void because you changed the timing. Regardless as to if NamePros was right or wrong, it was VERY wrong of you to give the voided bidders negative NP feedback based on what didn't even end up being a valid auction. It's fine for you to be angry at NamePros, because it was their decision (I am NOT saying they were right and I am DEFINITELY NOT saying they were wrong, I didn't see the unedited first post, so it's not my place to judge), but what is clear is that the auction was declared void and the bidders (unfortunately for you) had ZERO obligation to purchase your domain. You need to remove any negative reviews you unjustly gave AND send each person involved a genuine apology.
Wow this is again too much for me.

•••
OH MY! get out of domaining. It's not for you. Only way you're going to sell anything is if you buy top quality domains. The days of selling handregged domains are over. I mean once in a blue moon you're going to get lucky but that's like panning for gold somewhere in California. You'll eventually find a piece but is it worth the time you spent looking for it??

I sell about 1% of my domains a year just like @Artegy mentioned. And I am happy with that percentage. I mean I can sell 100% but it'll be at reseller prices and that's not ideal for me.
"The days of selling handregged domains are over" You don't know or understand anything about business do you LarryDomain? Granted it takes a creative and innovative mind, but the days of selling handregged domains are far from over:xf.rolleyes:

•••
Buy premium quality names and forget everything. If your name is good, offers will come automatically.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back