Domain Empire

Can we sell domain name with word 'google' in it ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

rameshdamma

Impact
can we sell domain name with word 'google' in it ? I want to sell makegoogle.com, I m not able to register it in marketplaces. please help.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just set up your own landing page, using Efty, for example. Won't have to wait too long for the C&D email/letter to arrive! :banghead:

•••
•••
•••
hmmm what about all those services that provide SEO for Google? or products to "game" google adwords or adsense? I remember there were some that used Google in their domains?

some are probably closed for business now due to all the Google updates.

•••
•••
It is clearly trademarked...proceed with caution

•••
•••
•••
Of course you can sell it. The questions are - can the buyer keep it? and can the buyer use it?

•••
Not a good idea.

Why do this when there are a million other names to invest in without the potential problems.

•••
Drop Larry Page an email that announces its for-sale status :ROFL:

•••
If your reg a domain with potential trademark issues
you really need to know what you are doing...

and the potential reward should be much higher then the actual risk

How much does your lawyer charge you?
if its below $300 per hour you need a better lawyer anyway

how high can you sell the domain?

( - no I am not interested in the answer - )

•••
You can use the name 'google' as long as you do not do anything what google does which is not really much. They are pretty much into everything. And here you trying to market Google itself (the principal). You have to look at this angle, would any business want to use the name 'google' in their business name - they would stay away from such. Yes we do see car dealer names like xxx honda , xxx toyota - but that is in 'agreement' with the car manufacturers.

You may think of a quick flip but the buyer has to see the viability of the name.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Although I would never knowingly use a TM in my domains, I thought there were cases where you could do this without breaking any TM laws. For example, criticism sites like:

ihategoogle.com
googlesucks.com
googlereview.com
googlesuggestionbox.com

(I don't know if these exist, but they're just off the top of my head.) These wouldn't be TM violations would they?

Also, there might be laws about profiting within these critique sites.

•••
I thought there were cases where you could do this without breaking any TM laws.

Sure. There are also circumstances where you can kill someone without breaking any laws either. There's self defense, war, execution, and so on. There are lots of situations where it is perfectly legal to kill someone.

HOWEVER, the general answer to the question posed on an internet forum such as, "Hey, can I kill the guy who lives down the street from me?" is "No."

It's more or less understood that the general question in this forum is in the context of domain names registered primarily for resale. Someone who repairs only Fiat automobiles, and who uses IRepairFiats.com as his domain name, thus making what in the US is a lawful nominative use of the domain name (i.e. a reference to a trademark as a truthful indicator of the type of automobile repaired), is not going to wander into NamePros and ask "Hey, can I sell this domain name?"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back