IT.COM

Can we expect a low estibot value from brandable domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Billym0351

Established Member
Impact
I'm new to domaining and apologize in advance if this is such a newbie question. So anyways, I've recently come across a domain I believe to be brandable and the estibot appraisal comes out to a whopping $200. Should this be expected?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you are not in a position to value some asset (stocks/domains/property/anything), please stay away from that business. That is as simple as that.

One should not purchase that asset until he gets knowledge to value that asset on his own.

Last edited:
•••
I fully agree with @nvdomains comment. Estibot is primarily based on cpc/search value of keywords contained in a domain, so it's no surprise it gives a low value for an invented domain.

•••
•••
If you are not in a position to value some asset (stocks/domains/property/anything), please stay away from that business. That is as simple as that.
So you were born with an innate ability to value domains?

Everyone has to start, and there are no school or university courses covering domaining to my knowledge.
I've recently come across a domain I believe to be brandable and the estibot appraisal comes out to a whopping $200. Should this be expected?
Yes. Estibot uses an algorithm which bases price on historical values (along with I'm sure some other variables like e.g. TLD and domain length), But it's not to be relied on.

If you want to learn about brandables start reading the Brandbucket thread here, and then go to sites which show historical sales data. dnbolt.com shows sales data from Brandbucket for the last 3 months, and you should get at least some idea of actual retail pricing for brandables from there. Then start learning about new company names, especially in the tech sector, so that you get a gist of what types of name founders and startups go after. Lots of resources here, and at least some members who will encourage rather than frustrate.

•••
If that is the way you understood my message, good luck to your approach. Added to ignore list.

Last edited:
•••
Cannot rely on estibot but there are some buyers out there who rely on estibot value.
I have a domain in the .asia tld with an estibot value of $ 39,000 USD :ahhh:

•••
Don't just rely on estibot, though some domainers regard estibot appraisal but not all so make use of additional tools such as Google Adword Keyword Planner for proper search volume and avg cpc, namebio for similar sales, Google Trends for recent trendpopularity of searched terms/keywords, also dnjournal is a source of useful content for all necessary domaining research.

Accept good suggestions, ignore poor advices and most importantly, keep research work on always, to learn and enhance skills/experience.

Hope, this helps.
Thank you

Last edited:
•••
estibot will help you to quickly find

1) meaningfull domains ( in foreign languages )
2) keywords search results
3) other .tld registered

these informations can be extremly valuable if evaluating a domain

the shown value
is a guestimate
ask a passenger on the street
they will be as exact

•••
estibot will help you to quickly
4) lose money

estibot will never quote a value below regfee, so it's as if you had nothing to lose. Except that few domains will ever sell, regardless of 'appraised value'...

•••
Estibot often overvalues domains.

Estibot valuations are often optimistic estimates of prices that end-users might pay, if you get lucky. Often you don't.

They are more accurate for 6-7 figure names.

for $xxx valuations they are so unreliable that I would not use them at all.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back