IT.COM

Can this cause me grief?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello NP'ers,

I have www.dumbfart.net and set it up as a milliondollarpage, except you can post pict of people you think are dumbfarts.

I did put this on the page "The views expressed and photos posted here are that of the poster and not that of the owners of the website"

Will this do? Can someone if thier pict is posted give me grief? What can I do for wording to protect me from anything?

Regards,
RickyG

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The problem is that someone will post a picture and then somehow let the person know that their image is on the website. The question then is whether the person whose image is on the website will consider that they are being libelled, also they may complain that they have not given their permission for the image to be used. So, 2 things to check with a lawyer:
1. Do libel laws apply here.
2. Are images (with/without text) subject to various data protection acts.

I suspect that unless you are going to confine the site to political comment, then use of a website for personal abuse is going to cause you problems you can do without.

•••
Where can you get this script at. Thanks

•••
•••
Anyone else? How does Hustler get away with thier A--HOLE of the month? Besides them be a multi-million$$ company. Liable is liable...

•••
simply but a disclaimer or so... like : Pictures are not owned by: you

•••
So...... put this on the site?

The pictures posted are owned by the poster and not thoose of the owners of the website.

•••
I think that any type of disclaimer, along the lines of whatever you already have will be fine. I would also include a disclaimer for the posters that in the event of complaints by the person in the picture that all photos are subject to removal without notice.

That way if somebody does start complaining to much about their picture being on there you can just remove it.

Remember this is just my opinion, if you are really worried about problems consult a lawyer.

•••
Calling someone a "dumbfart" is not defamatory, as "dumbfart" does not convey an objectively factual assertion and is inherently subjective. It is manifestly a statement of pure opinion.

Anyone thinking otherwise would clearly qualify as a dumbfart.

•••
Thank you all for your replies. I am going for it and will also place a disclaimer just for backup.
RickyG

•••
RickyG said:
How does Hustler get away with thier A--HOLE of the month? Besides them being a multi-million$$ company. Liable is liable...

Hustler magazine (and other media entertainment products doing similar things) can easily get away with it because the people pictured are always "public figures," and so are fair game.

Therefore no disclaimer will help you, when it comes to encouraging people to post the pics of private parties without the permission of said parties, especially when it portrays them in a negative light. And of course I would have to judge that calling someone a "dumb fart" does indeed constitute a "negative light" violation. You just can NOT do it.

•••
Just because one is a public figure shouldnt change anything. Calling them a dumbfart should carry the same thing to a private person.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back