Domain Empire

Can I register .name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello,

I tried to register a .name domain name, but it raise error. So I issue an touble ticket and they replied me as below. I am not sure is this true, because I saw many general names (.name) around here. Anyone can explain to me? Why? Thank you.

In case of .Name TLD, you cannot use general names like famous, sweet, name, etc.

The domain name has to be a proper name like george, sam, etc.

This is the Terms and Conditions of the .NAME Registry.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Really? That's strange... What was the name?

•••
that sounds like maybe the rules for third level domains, not second level ones.

•••
•••
You must tried to reg a third level .name, didn't you?

•••
Anyone else have more information on this? I have two . names registered and they are not proper names.

•••
Yes and with all the unusual and allowable names , how could they even try to check validity.

•••
I register at DirectI, but they just not allow. Can anyone please leave some names you have, if you already registered them? Thank you.

•••
Thats really odd it said that...

•••
In case of .Name TLD, you cannot use general names like famous, sweet, name, etc.

The domain name has to be a proper name like george, sam, etc.

This is the Terms and Conditions of the .NAME Registry.

If that's what is says, that's what it says. Last I checked they also stopped
the issuance of third-level .name domains and will stick to second-level.

Besides, that's what .name is for: personal names.

•••
It’s the first time I see that. I've seen many generic names registered in different languages. Unless it’s a new rule you shouldn’t get any error if the domain is unreg.

•••
Get georgewbush.name and sell it to him for more money than you buy it for :P

Seriously, unless you have a decient reason for getting a 'general' .name, forget about it and try another extension, like .co.uk / org / org.uk / me.uk / com ect. ect.

•••
I think I will just forget about .name and try others extension. Thanks for all advice.

•••
Personally, register a .uz before .name...

php.name was recently acquired by Pool.

You can register whatever you want under the .name root

Good luck, and try not to waste too much money with .name ;)

-Steve

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back