Dynadot

discuss Can I drop an auto-renewed domain & not pay?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Hi
I registered a domain last year on 30/1/2019. Since it was ionos, I had to use PayPal and made a payment of $4 to acquire it. It was a hand registration and was an experimental purchase for a year. I was sure that if it doesn't sell this year, it won't sell ever.

I forgot to remove the domain from auto-renewal (which btw, they automatically sign you up and you have to opt out of it). Now, they sent me an email on 23-01-2020 that the contract would be auto-renewed ( which landed in my others folder)

Today, I see a message saying that I $20 will be deducted from my account. Now that is a lot for an experimental domain.

Is there a way to not pay for it? And let the domain drop.

Also, something I find odd is not enough reminders. This is unfortunate I believe, given that I'd have to pay $20 for that domain which doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't it have a 7 day drop policy?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi
I registered a domain last year on 30/1/2019. Since it was ionos, I had to use PayPal and made a payment of $4 to acquire it. It was a hand registration and was an experimental purchase for a year. I was sure that if it doesn't sell this year, it won't sell ever.

Don't assume that if a domain doesn't sell in 1 year that it will never ever sell in the future.

The right buyer might be ready to approach you in 2, 3 even 4 years from now.

and might even be prepared to offer you good price for it.

so if nobody has offered you within this year, doesn't mean that somebody wont offer in the future.

Matt Morgan

•••
You can't drop it and get your money back it is yours. Can only on new registrations request a refund for couple of days.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back