Dynadot

Can direct .AU domains be registered by anyone?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

b_i_t

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
I read somewhere that Australia is releasing direct .au domain names, but it's not clear to me whether registrations will be open to everyone or not. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Only registered business can apply as need to register a business name with an Australian Business Number and hold a bank account along with lodge tax return under the business and pay tax on wages drawn etc. Without all of this you have no business. It isn't just like holding names you need purpose.

•••
People do register names but wouldn't be too difficult to get them as without all of this they can't keep holding.

•••
So .au's can't even be registered by regular Australian citizens? You have to own a business to get one?

Last edited:
•••
Aussies can pay and register but there is a time frame i believe to for fill rest of duties. I haven't had com.au domains for a while but same rules apply. Someone will probably elaborate later it is after midnight here.

Last edited:
•••
Aussies can pay and register .au domains .

•••
.au direct eligibility is quite different from .com.au eligibility.
For .au direct you just need 'an Australian presence'. You certainly don't need to have a business. There is a big list of definitions for 'Australian presence', and simply being an Australian citizen is one of them.
Of course, having an Australian business is another. Or even having a foreign company which is registered to conduct business in Australia is another.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back