IT.COM

discuss .CA registration!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mr.Vin

Established Member
Impact
I'm new in this Domain Flipping sector. I don’t know many rules regarding this sector. I want to buy a .CA domain but when I tried to registration system ask me for some additional information. And its like without canadian residence any 2nd country’s people are not able to buy .CA domain.
Is it true? If anyone buy this domain without canadian residence is there any chance to get ban for the domain.
I get a domain name free at .CA extension and I like it very much. Can i buy the domain for me? If i buy the domain does the canadian authority take any action against it?

Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
try to contact epik.com support if they can help. gl

•••
•••
•••
Hello,

No, basically only Canadians can buy .ca (and some small number of others, like corporations who have registered trademarks)... which I agree with.

It wouldn't be a good use of your money anyway... I have a lot of .ca and a lot of .com, and .com are much, much better for making money. I think I've probably even lost money because of my .ca domains.

It's because Canada only has 40 million people, but if you have a useful .com, anyone in the world may want it. And a lot of Canadian companies will choose a longer .ca domain with extra words, rather than paying more for a short premium .ca.

And yes, if you do try to register .ca and aren't allowed to, CIRA.ca will eventually take away your .ca domains.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion

•••
Canadian address is necessary to register .CA names.You can give your friends or relatives address in Canada with phone numbers and register the name.

Last edited:
•••
+1 - you will need a Canadian address. gl

•••
Canadian address is necessary to register .CA names.You can give your friends or relatives address in Canada with phone numbers and register the name.

That's not sufficient to meet the requirements, and then you will lose the domains.

I'm from Canada, and I'm sure they knew I was a legitimate registrant (my registrant info had my company info, and web site, phone number, could see stuff via Google, etc.), and they forced me to send documentation showing I'm Canadian.

My first attempt didn't have good enough image quality, so I had to send a better version.

Anyone who is doesn't meet the CIRA requirements is simply "playing with fire" by registering .ca domains. You will eventually get caught, and they are strict, so you will lose the domains.

You can even lose domains if you put a business name for the registrant, but you are only a proprietorship (rather than a corporation).

Plus, as I detailed above, you can make more money with .com and other domains.

Last edited:
•••
The exact requirements are on the CIRA website.

Essentially you or the registrant needs to be a legal entity in Canada.

A summary listing:

Individuals
  • Canadian citizen

• Permanent resident

• Legal representative

• Aboriginal peoples

Non-individuals
  • Corporation

• Trademark registered in Canada

• Association

• Educational institution

• Hospital

• Government

•••
.ca's are for Canadians and Canadian businesses - so if you are not Canadian then dont buy them.

•••
Thank you guys for these suggestions.....

•••
There is a chance to buy it with Europe Registry. I don't know if it is work with .ca, but I had used Europe Registry to register domains with special requirements. But you have to contact them first. There is a set up fee and all will cost you about $69. But if the name really good so it is worthy to use their service. They'll help you with the documentation.

Last edited:
•••
Back