IT.COM

.ca Domain Registration

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Raf

Established Member
Impact
Does anyone know here where I can buy .ca Domains that accept PayPal and don't require me to fill in any forms dealing with the CIRA. Please post any links to registars that you might have. Thanks. :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would say enom(they do paypal), but to be frank their .CA registrations are buggy and do not work well.

•••
Hmm, does anyone know any other places that allow you to register .ca domains and that accept PayPal?

•••
I was wondering the same thing.

•••
I found one place that does it, Monster Hosting.ca for anyone else that is interested. Remember that you must be a Canadian Resident in order to purchase a .ca domain. They are enforced by the CIRA. :)

•••
You can register .CA at DomainToolBox using Paypal. CIRA's requirements are a totally different issue. They are required to complete the registration

I will register them for you if you PM me,

•••
CenterPoint how much do you charge for a .ca Domain Registration, and what features do you offer and etc?

Nevermind CenterPoint I looked on your site. Seems like a good deal. But where are the domains registered through?

•••
Originally posted by Raf
CenterPoint how much do you charge for a .ca Domain Registration, and what features do you offer and etc?

Nevermind CenterPoint I looked on your site. Seems like a good deal. But where are the domains registered through?

Enom

•••
•••
Thanks again for your help guys. :)

•••
I believe there is no way to skip the CIRA registration.

•••
Well it depends really where you buy the domain, some places don't require the registration or information.

•••
Originally posted by Raf
Well it depends really where you buy the domain, some places don't require the registration or information.

Actually if you do not provide registration info to CIRA you risk having your domain cancelled

•••
Originally posted by CenterPoint
Actually if you do not provide registration info to CIRA you risk having your domain cancelled

After you do the registration with your registrar, CIRA then send you login details to their website and you have to go in and confirm all of the information with them. You only have 7 days to do this after registration (although one 7 day extension can be asked for).

Centrepoint - thanks for the help/advice and the solution - much appreciated.

•••
RAF, OK for me to PM you w/ a couple of CA regs?
If .CA rules are anything like .US, and I have been told they are, requirements and enforcement are fairly lenient. My guess is that they start out w/ strict enforcement to allow citizens to get 1st shot at the top names and then gradually loosen up and shift focus to revenue.

•••
I havent really thought about it like that, but basically the registar goes through the CIRA in order to get your .ca domain. Of course there are some registars that make you fill the form prior to registering for a domain but I guess this is for country purposes because they want residents of Canada to only purchase this domain extension from what I am aware of.

•••
RAF, sorry. Last message was actually directed to Centerpoint. Duh!

Is there a whois database up for .ca? I would be very curious to see who has gone about acquiring all of the California cities and social/economic icons ie Hollywood, LosAngeles, vineyard, surfing, beaches, (words that one would identify more w/ California then a
w/ Canada). Whether it is Canadian or US citizens that own these names, one way or another, there is a hell of alot of irony involved, particularly in the eyes of a California native.

Also, would you remind me of the postal short form used by Canada and how Canadians normally abbreviate the name?

Last edited:
•••
.la is the Los Angeles domain name and now .ca is the California domain name?

I wish there was a .ny!

•••
Originally posted by Grrilla

Is there a whois database up for .ca? I would be very curious to see who has gone about acquiring all of the California cities and social/economic icons ie Hollywood, LosAngeles, vineyard, surfing, beaches, (words that one would identify more w/ California then a
w/ Canada). Whether it is Canadian or US citizens that own these names, one way or another, there is a hell of alot of irony involved, particularly in the eyes of a California native.

Also, would you remind me of the postal short form used by Canada and how Canadians normally abbreviate the name?

BIG Difference!! .CA is the Canadian ccTLD and is marketed as such and has nothing to do with California.

.LA has been marketed as the extension for Los Angeles
as nobody was interested in the extension when it was Lao People's Republic

Next you will be saying .SC is South Carolina, .IN is indianna .JE is Jersey or even .AZ is Arizona

For a list of ccTLDs and registration information you may want to visit here
http://www.domaintoolbox.com/tlds.php

Yes there is a .CA whois and beleive it or not we even have drops and expiring names
http://www.domaintoolbox.com/expiring_ca.php

For information on the .CA extension visit http://www.cira.ca/

•••
Yup, .ca domain extensions is for Candian Domain Registrations, bit of a mix up between California and Canada.

•••
BIG Difference!! .CA is the Canadian ccTLD and is marketed as such and has nothing to do with California.

The people that are mixing up the intended use of the extention, are the people purchasing California citiy names and words that are strongly associated w/ California, and using the .CA . (BTW,I'm not one of them). Perhaps one possible solution to curb the confusion would be for Canada to annex California (or California to annex Canada). Then the people who registered LosAngeles.CA, Vineyards.CA, and Surf.CA would no longer be mocked for making such an idiotic blunder when they mistakenly confused the.ca tld for CA, the USPS official postal abbreviation of California.
Or, perhaps, the US and Canada could negotiate a trade and swap Quebec and California. Or better yet, Quebec and California could get together and merge as a new country named Quecal or Calbec. Depending upon the name of the new country (which would be determined by a coinflip using a neutral currency, say a eu coin, (not to be confused w/ Ecuador or a future tld), the new cc would be either .qc or .cq, not to be confused w/ .ca or .us, and, les voila!, everyone is happy! :bingo: :lala: .:hearts:

BTW, how do Canadiens abbreviate Canada?

•••
Your post was quite amusing Grrilla, Canadians abbreviate Canada as CA so I guess that might be the reason why the Canada domain extension is .ca. :D

•••
Right on good brother from the great white north!
It's the same deal here in the US w/ .us, although some go w/ the USA and in Kentucky have even seen US of A.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back