Dynadot

Buying a domain but seller wants a percentage of future resale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NetworkPearl

Top Member
Impact
Hi,

I'm buying a domain from this woman (enduser) who has owned the domain for a few years but hasn't used it.

She's selling it now and we agreed to a price of $1,800 and she also mentioned ,she would like to suggest a 10% bump on future propensity , my terms.

What does this mean?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I found your thread this evening because it happened to appear in a news listing and the topic interested me, but the title of your thread "Buying a domain" is probably too vague to get many hits from people who are just browsing over in General Discussion. I would change the title if you can to something more specific and catchy if I were you, just suggesting.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with a phrase like that. So it's unclear if she means 10% on a future sale, or 10% of revenue earned with it. Future sale sounds more likely.

Either way, you would need to make a written contract for that, and then there is the question of how easy to enforce it would be in the event things go sour.

If you were the seller it is also possible to do domain leasing and domain licensing (people seem to virtually never talk about the latter unfortunately, as it tends to be all about the sale).

If it's 10% of revenue, then it seems the contract should also include means of auditing.

If it's a great domain then her request is certainly reasonable and understandable, especially at that price.

•••
P.S. What country is she in that she would use a phrase like that?

•••
pro·pen·si·ty
prəˈpensədē/
noun
  1. an inclination or natural tendency to behave in a particular way.
    "a propensity for violence"

It still doesn't make sense the way it was used.

•••
I agree that the use of that word is odd, instead of using "Repeat" or "habit".
Looks like you contacted a lawyer.
Have her explain in detail "Her terms" of her definition so that the meaning is transparent to both parties.

•••
I cleared this with her. Thanks everyone .

•••
So what the heck was she talking about?

•••
So what the heck was she talking about?
She wanted 10% cut if I sell the domain or make a company etc .Still don't get the other part tho.

•••
I increased my offer to $2,000 with no %.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back