Dynadot

Buyer at Escrow.com will not update domain as received

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
Hello,

Two weeks ago, I sold a domain via Escrow.com and the buyer paid for it the next day. The domain was transferred to the new owner and the WHOIS changed to a a privacy listing.

However, the buyer seems to refuse to update the domain status as received. I have emailed him twice without response or action. I've also contacted the support, but the only answer that I get is that I'll have to wait.

Anyone with a similar experience?

Approximately, how long might it take before they release the money, if he totally ignores Escrow.com's (and my) emails?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, I experienced the same issue a few months back. Buyer paid promptly but Escrow wouldn't release the payment until he approved the transfer. It took a number of emails to eventually get the buyer to respond - it took about 2 weeks from when I transferred the name across. Escrow were no help other than to tell me that I had to wait.

Surely they could improve there system so it automatically approves the transaction once the name has been transferred? Unnecessary delays and frustration.

•••
•••
I've e-mailed support asking about a non-responsive buyer in the past, they disbursed funds shortly after. Not sure if buyer has to mark as accepted. I would imagine if the inspection period is over and buyer's control of domain has been verified, they could release funds?

•••
I would imagine this is quite a common issue...

•••
How long was given for the inspection period?

Also did you loop in Escrow via [email protected] (with your Transaction ID in the subject) at any point throughout?

•••
However, the buyer seems to refuse to update the domain status as received. I have emailed him twice without response or action.
The buyer might not be receiving your E-mails. Try sending from another address/server.
I even had to whitelist escrow.com in the past, because their mailserver didn't have a correct PTR record. Many mail servers are pretty strict and this is enough to get SMTP transactions rejected...

I also had to whitelist certain gmail addresses, because a number of IP addresses belonging to Google are listed at Spamhaus. They have big chunks, like /16 IP pools, so the originating IP address will often be different for each message. Some addresses may be clean and get through, others not.

•••
Two words: Escrow Concierge.

•••
I've e-mailed support asking about a non-responsive buyer in the past, they disbursed funds shortly after. Not sure if buyer has to mark as accepted. I would imagine if the inspection period is over and buyer's control of domain has been verified, they could release funds?
Same for me. After the inspection period was over they released the funds.

•••
Seems like this issue is about to become more common with GDPR.

•••
Escrow.com deals with this issue frequently, I'm sure. Email them again, and forward them the transfer-related emails you should have received from your registrar -- and the confirming one you should get from the receiving registrar. (With every transfer or push, it's best to take screenshots as you do it.)

Last edited:
•••
•••
Escrow.com deals with this issue frequently, I'm sure. Email them again, and forward them the transfer-related emails you should have received from your registrar -- and the confirming one you should get from the receiving registrar. (With every transfer or push, it's best to take screenshots as you do it.)

I emailed them screenshots two days ago.

•••
I think I have the proof that I need:

1. The WHOIS changed just after payment.
2. The domain already points to a new website.
3. I have screenshots from Dynadot and emails.

Also, it seems like the buyer have not been in touch with Escrow after he received the domain. If he didn't receive it after payment, he certainly would wonder what's going on.

Thank you very much for all comments and suggestions guys! :happy:

•••
•••
Two words: Escrow Concierge.

Agree 10000%

More safe. There is minimum $100 fees but it is worth it.

1. Buyer paid
  2. Escrow confirm payment verified
  3. We transfer domain to Escrow.com without changing whois info.
  4. Escrow releases fund
  5. Escrow transfer name to buyer
We can sleep peacefully.

Thanks

•••
@Maul
Agree 10000%

1. Buyer paid
  4. Escrow releases fund
We can sleep peacefully.

Thanks

Sedo does this at no extra charge ;)

•••
Agree 10000%

1. Buyer paid
  4. Escrow releases fund
We can sleep peacefully.

Thanks

I will do this in the future, at least for domains with a little higher price. Thanks!

•••
•••

@creataweb thanks for the tag! It looks like our Support team already beat me to contacting the buyer and funds are on the way.

Concierge is great way to speed things up, especially if you're working with an inexperienced buyer. If all else fails Escrow.com will get in touch with the registrar directly to confirm transfer.

Cheers,
Jackson

•••
Perfect. Thanks Escrow.com! Case closed.

I will consider concierge for all transactions above $2000, in the future.

•••
•••
+ at Payoneer Escrow you can set how many days the buyer has to confirm/dispute... I usually set 1-2 business days.
So even if no confirmation from the buyer - PE does payout automatically.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back