IT.COM

discuss Browsers payment option to capitalize domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Artem LuiN

Established Member
Impact
Some domains are valued less because of harder readability due to the modern browser convention of displaying the hostname in all lowercase. This can also cause problems for brands, for example w3 t.h.e.n.a.p.p ext - is this w3 T.h.e N.a.p.p ext or w3 T.h.e.n A.p.p ext? (random choice of domain)
I've run into this inconvenience myself where a site url had decreased readability and clarity.

My idea is if enough people and businesses request it, would some major browsers be willing to support a paid option to whitelist certain spellings for urls? This could be a significant source of income if enough people want it, especially if it's a finite-year subscription. The browser would always retain control over which urls and capitalizations to allow, and it would be easy for them to disallow capital i's (look like l's) and other potential-scam tactics. For example, a 2-year option for Firefox for a business wanting to capitalize the first word-letters of its two-word domain - that's a lot of recurring payments for Mozilla, and they don't have to accept any url's they don't want.

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Doubt it- sounds like a filtering nightmare to whomever got the job of white listing them. Better off leaving it the way it is, a universal lowercase format, and leaving it up to the domain/site owner to capitalize the website name properly on the actual web page using whatever coding they choose.

•••
That would be difficult to handle..
Who would regulate it ?
Without saying that google want to get rid of urls

•••
If first letter capitalization became a thing, I believe a fee might then be imposed before long on all domains so as to bring everything up to the new "Universal" format.

•••
Doubt it- sounds like a filtering nightmare to whomever got the job of white listing them. Better off leaving it the way it is, a universal lowercase format, and leaving it up to the domain/site owner to capitalize the website name properly on the actual web page using whatever coding they choose.
Are there such coding methods these days? Last I tried I could only capitalize Chrome and Firefox using a hack, and that was a few years ago.

I don't think it has to be difficult as a lot of automation could be used. The price won't be cheap - those businesses, individuals who really benefit would be willing to pay. Domain hacks could be filtered out automatically. I don't see a lot of need for any sort of screening of the domain owner

Last edited:
•••
That would be difficult to handle..
Who would regulate it ?
Without saying that google want to get rid of urls
The business behind the browser - so Apple, mozilla, google, etc.
Each individually, it being a service they offer

•••
From a domaining pov I think this is a good idea - This would increase the price of a large amount of domains, and add new posibilities

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back