Dynadot

analysis Broker Offer Question - $10,000 Offer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Maggie Mae

Established Member
Impact
If a broker contacts you with interest to buy a domain, and the initial offer is $10,000, is there any way to determine what the market value is based solely on the offer?

I know there are many variables, in this instance, the domain is: 9L .com

Still kinda vague, I realize, just curious if the $10k offer correlates to value/resell price?

Thank you for any insight you may offer.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If it is a genuine broker, I would presume that they are working with a prospective buyer. I don't think they would think in formula terms like you mention, as a true broker is not buying to resell, but rather they are representing either a prospective buyer or a prospective seller.

If acting as a buyer broker, they have probably discussed with the potential client both their budget and comparable name sales to give an estimate of the value. It is likely the first offer leaves some room for negotiation, as others have noted above. But it is probably within the ballpark of what they honestly believe the name is worth.

While not every broker in world is mentioned, Elliot Silver,, has a list of domain brokers here.

You would have the option, if it is a valuable name with many potential buyers, of contacting a seller broker who would suggest a price range to you. If you do that, however, be upfront that you have already been approached by a buyer broker, and their offer. Sometimes two brokers work together to complete a deal. Of course each broker would need to be compensated, so having more than one may make the deal less likely to close.

Since it is a domain name already in use, I think the ultimate question is how much is the name worth to you, do you want to consider selling it, and is the return enough to cover the hassle it would be for you to abandon the name.

I presume you have already queried NameBio to and GD Appraisal to find similar domain names in the past, and queried the main brandable marketplaces to check out pricing on similar names listed for sale.

Best wishes however it turns out.

Best wishes.

Thank you very much for that thoughtful and informative reply, Bob!

I researched the person that contacted me with an offer. They serve as the middleman to protect buyer from price gouging. So business remains anonymous. Common practice.

But, I'm curious to a fault and I started researching to see if similar domains might be available using one of the keywords. Through that, I surprisingly found one similar domain owned by the person that contacted me with an offer. Not long afterwards, I noticed that domain now forwards to the multi-million company domain. What I don't know is, did this person contact me on behalf of the buyer, or as a domainer?

In looking at the multi-million dollar company's domain, and seeing all the ones that forward to their primary, it seems they have purchased, and use, quite a few as brand defense.

So, if I sell, they could be a potential buyer that I can contact directly, or have a broker assist. I've found a few other companies that use a similar name, so there are def possibilities.

My site, and other projects have stalled in the past year b/c of two family members becoming very ill and my unexpected role as caregiver, so it def has me thinking about paring down my responsibilities as I'm stretched thin.

Decisions ...

•••
Through that, I surprisingly found one similar domain owned by the person that contacted me with an offer. Not long afterwards, I noticed that domain now forwards to the multi-million company domain. What I don't know is, did this person contact me on behalf of the buyer, or as a domainer?
Really interesting. I guess if the price is what you consider fair, in a way it does not matter, but it is troubling if someone misrepresents who they are in the transaction. It is a positive sign the company seems very into using multiple domains for defense.

My site, and other projects have stalled in the past year b/c of two family members becoming very ill and my unexpected role as caregiver, so it def has me thinking about paring down my responsibilities as I'm stretched thin.
I am sorry to hear of your ill family members, and extra responsibilities and stress. I can see how reducing some responsibilities, if the financial reward is right, may make sense in your position.
-Bob

•••
Just reply with:

"Thank you for your interest, however we have invested considerable time and money in this domain, therefore we cannot accept such a low price.

However, if the right offer comes along, we may be willing to sell it."

That way, if they are really interested, they will bite harder.

•••
Cut the broker and contact with those companies directly if there'll be no TM issues.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Thank you very much for that thoughtful and informative reply, Bob!

I researched the person that contacted me with an offer. They serve as the middleman to protect buyer from price gouging. So business remains anonymous. Common practice.

But, I'm curious to a fault and I started researching to see if similar domains might be available using one of the keywords. Through that, I surprisingly found one similar domain owned by the person that contacted me with an offer. Not long afterwards, I noticed that domain now forwards to the multi-million company domain. What I don't know is, did this person contact me on behalf of the buyer, or as a domainer?

In looking at the multi-million dollar company's domain, and seeing all the ones that forward to their primary, it seems they have purchased, and use, quite a few as brand defense.

So, if I sell, they could be a potential buyer that I can contact directly, or have a broker assist. I've found a few other companies that use a similar name, so there are def possibilities.

Decisions ...
Congratulation on your offer.

The price of a domain is very subjective just like any intangible assets like painting, NFT etc. And the good thing is unlike other assets you are in total control over pricing and therefore solely decided by YOU based on your risk appetite, financial / cash flow status and plan. It may sell for a million or you will not find any new buyer in the next 20 years, so be realistic and decide accordingly.

There is one NP member here who first got US$ 5000 from a GoDaddy broker but after rounds of negotiation, he sold his domain for more than half a million (I think US$ 725K or something)

Please check his story here at NamePros. All the best

•••
Still kinda vague, I realize, just curious if the $10k offer correlates to value/resell price?
Hi
yes, it's a vague question, with nothing definitive to give an answer to.

i've read other posts by OP and they are all structurally the same.

without more info, this is just another click bait thread.

imo....

•••
Really interesting. I guess if the price is what you consider fair, in a way it does not matter, but it is troubling if someone misrepresents who they are in the transaction. It is a positive sign the company seems very into using multiple domains for defense.

I am sorry to hear of your ill family members, and extra responsibilities and stress. I can see how reducing some responsibilities, if the financial reward is right, may make sense in your position.
-Bob

Thank you, Bob

•••
Hi
yes, it's a vague question, with nothing definitive to give an answer to.

i've read other posts by OP and they are all structurally the same.

without more info, this is just another click bait thread.

imo....

Not a click bait post Biggie. Sincere question.

I'm still undecided on posting my domains online for discussion and search engine indexing, so I try to give as much info in my posts in lieu of the domain. I did not ask for valuation of the actual domain, which is why the post is in Discussions.

•••
Congratulation on your offer.

The price of a domain is very subjective just like any intangible assets like painting, NFT etc. And the good thing is unlike other assets you are in total control over pricing and therefore solely decided by YOU based on your risk appetite, financial / cash flow status and plan. It may sell for a million or you will not find any new buyer in the next 20 years, so be realistic and decide accordingly.

There is one NP member here who first got US$ 5000 from a GoDaddy broker but after rounds of negotiation, he sold his domain for more than half a million (I think US$ 725K or something)

Please check his story here at NamePros. All the best

Thank you for your helpful response, GreatBrand.in

•••

-Bob
Bob, have you ever written about the pros and cons of sharing domains online. I see some people share links to their portfolio. And others posts individual domains on social media sites and domain forums.

I've been hesitant to post mine, so curious if there is a pros and cons list.

•••
Bob, have you ever written about the pros and cons of sharing domains online. I see some people share links to their portfolio. And others posts individual domains on social media sites and domain forums.

I've been hesitant to post mine, so curious if there is a pros and cons list.
Thanks for question/suggestion. I have not written about that, and I agree it is an important topic. I have made a note in my longish 'maybe write an article on this' list.

I want to think about how it could be researched a bit more before committing either way. I see more cons that pros off the top of my head. Once one posts a name, and has no control over who will say what, there is a chance your name can be harmed.

Of course that can work in reverse too. If someone has great points you did not think of, or strongly supportive comments about the name, possibly that could help.

I will think more on this, and thanks a lot for the suggestion.

-Bob

•••
Thanks for question/suggestion. I have not written about that, and I agree it is an important topic. I have made a note in my longish 'maybe write an article on this' list.

I want to think about how it could be researched a bit more before committing either way. I see more cons that pros off the top of my head. Once one posts a name, and has no control over who will say what, there is a chance your name can be harmed.

Of course that can work in reverse too. If someone has great points you did not think of, or strongly supportive comments about the name, possibly that could help.

-Bob

Also, privacy; I see in domain conversations that there are ways to find out anything people want to know about the domainer. (?)

Theft? Can they be stolen from an account?

•••

-Bob

Also, not sure if this falls under the pros/cons topic, or a new one, but should we first use a domain in commerce to protect against someone registering the mark and trying to make our domain hold less value, and/or to file a URDP complaint in attempt to take over the domain?

•••
It's now been a week since you received the offer. Have you heard from or spoke to the broker again?
Have they raised their offer? Have you countered?

Since you are using this domain let them to continue to make you offers until you get one you really like.
I don't know if I would even counter anytime soon, just let them know you didn't have any plans to sell it.

I wish you all the best :xf.smile:

•••
Not a click bait post Biggie. Sincere question.

I'm still undecided on posting my domains online for discussion and search engine indexing, so I try to give as much info in my posts in lieu of the domain. I did not ask for valuation of the actual domain, which is why the post is in Discussions.

Hi

you haven't posted who this "broker" is or how they contacted you.
you haven't mentioned if you ever received an offer before
you haven't said how long you owned the domain or what the extension is
you haven't said if you earned any money from the name

only info you provided is, a fictitious broker, an amount from the sky and the number of letters in the unknown name.

and we're supposed to tell you if the offer correlates to resell value?

imo...

•••
Hi

you haven't posted who this "broker" is or how they contacted you.
you haven't mentioned if you ever received an offer before
you haven't said how long you owned the domain or what the extension is
you haven't said if you earned any money from the name

only info you provided is, a fictitious broker, an amount from the sky and the number of letters in the unknown name.

and we're supposed to tell you if the offer correlates to resell value?

imo...

Goodness, Biggie, I asked a question; which has been answered. None of the things you question are even required for the Domain Appraisal section of this forum.

You always come at me in attack mode. Just scroll past my posts. 🤦‍♀️

•••
You always come at me in attack mode.
Hi

just trying to squeeze out some real info.

as, the more you provide, initially, becomes the premise to draw any logical conclusions.

but that's only if you seek sound advice or just throwing hypo's out for convo.

just saying...

imo...

•••
First, the '9 letters, two words' means nothing; the domain could be AutoParts.com, worth $ a lot, or it could be PorkRinds.com, worth $ very little, or anything between.
PorkRinds.com is probably not the best example as it's built out by an end user snack food company hehe.

I get your general point though about a 9-letter 2-worder not meaning much.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back