NameSilo

BRANDROOT WANTS TO PAY YOUR RENEWAL FEES!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Coral Cove

Know your brand like the back of your hand.Upgraded Member
Impact
Hi everybody, we have new system rolling out at Brandroot soon. I wanted to get your comments and feedback before it's officially launched. Please let me know if you have any questions about the system or anything you thing we could change or make better. This systems is totally tentative and will likely be revised as we get more feedback and suggestions. We hope you like the idea!

tlTxpBI.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think this is a fantastic initiative!

By drastically lowering the risk and financial concerns for existing sellers, this scheme makes them more likely to stay with the platform and invest further, and it also makes the marketplace more attractive for larger players to adopt - ultimately this means more sales for Brandroot.

I would like to see this scheme simplified, whereby the entire sellers share goes towards settling the Brandbank loan if necessary (I hate owing money) and the account handling fee done away with. This alternative will make for a more financially robust platform, require less admin, reduce potential for accounting errors and is easier to explain to sellers. For me, by far the most important advantages of Brandbank are the peace of mind that it would offer during slow sales months and ensuring that I won't make a loss due to renewal fees. I am not concerned about making a profit from every sale - only the net profit at the end of the year. If you want to make up those handling fees elsewhere, I think it would be better to do it by raising listing fees slightly.

I would also modify the following rule with a clause: "Sellers taking part in Brandbank cannot remove their domains from Brandroot while their Brandbank is active, unless replacing them with domains of equivalent or higher value."
The main reason I say this is that I would like to be in a position to replace the worst names in my portfolio with better ones on an ongoing basis, which will increase my likelihood of sales at a decreased cost (by reducing renewal fees in the long term), and increase the quality of the marketplace, which will attract more buyers. Names with a low probability of sale will end up costing a lot more than their initial listing in renewal fees, and it is better to get them out of the system.

Another thing I like about this scheme is emphasizes the importance of accepting high quality names, since Brandroot is taking on unnecessary financial risk by accepting a dud. Increased quality is good for everyone.

Sales would need to be quite high each month for this to work. It puts Brandroot in an odd situation if they don't have good cash flow.

•••
Sales would need to be quite high each month for this to work. It puts Brandroot in an odd situation if they don't have good cash flow.

Sales are quite high. I did a quick calculation based on my own sales stats, and they have a healthy margin of safety. Other sellers have reported better sales rates than me. Liquidity shouldn't be a problem as long as they grow the marketplace carefully and have a savings fund for below average sales months.

•••
Yeah, I agree I prefer Brandroot to BB.

The BB marketplace seems too saturated, Brandroot seems to be choosing quality over quantity which I personally prefer as you get more exposure and hence higher probability of getting a sale. Their website is also easier to navigate.

•••
@Robozy thank you for the great feedback. Those are excellent ideas we will likely implement. The more we hear what our sellers want the better we can make our marketplace.

Of @Robozy 's suggestions, I like the switch out names for better ones idea. I don't like the raise listing fees or take the whole sale amount idea. Names vary a lot in value and it's just luck whether you sell a $1600. name or a $2200. name first. The payment amount shouldn't be a matter of chance and the seller shouldn't be penalized for selling a good name. Also, the amount of what is due to the bank will differ. So the take the whole thing strikes me as potentially quite unfair in practice. That said I could see a set amount like an additional $25-$50. charge tacked on at the end - at the time of the sale as a service/convenience fee in addition to the money owed for renewals. That would be the same for everyone and wouldn't sting like a monthly fee that racks up and defeats the purpose of the idea.

•••
@Enwych - I don't like the idea of raising listing fees either - your idea of taking a Brandbank service charge off the sale is better.

Regarding the paying back of the Brandbank loan, there is nothing unfair about paying back using the full sellers share when required (for most sales it won't be required because monthly sales are expected to exceed the loan balance amount on average - otherwise Brandroot wouldn't be able to offer this scheme).
For a normal seller, the total payout expected by the end of the year is identical under either scheme, as illustrated by this example of an account starting with 100 names and 3 sales:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10vP0gcB6Pk0mawU05_js179wqfMe6Chwq5_fL0OhNhU/edit?usp=sharing

In a normal loan agreement, the creditor demands repayment via regular installments, along with interest charges. Not only is Brandroot foregoing interest charges, they are also dropping monthly repayments AND they are writing off your loan account at the end of the year. This is a very sweet deal.

The main reason I am in favour of a repayment scheme that utilizes the full seller share if necessary is that it lowers the financial risk to the platform as a whole by reducing the potential bad debt burden. A financially robust platform is good for everyone.

•••
@Robozy I didn't catch the "if necessary" in the other post. That would be fine then. I thought you were suggesting just an additional fee on top of repayment to partially subsidize the whole scheme (in place of monthly maintenance fees) that would wipe out the seller's share for the first sale. Thank you for clarifying. I agree that the renewal fees should be paid at the time of a sale and reduce the seller's share to whatever extent. That makes sense.

•••
How many domains are listed on @Brandroot currently?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back