Dynadot

poll Branding Discussion: How do YOU pronounce Nike?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How do YOU pronounce Nike?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • "Nee-keh" (NΓ­kΔ“) after the classical Greek goddess Νίκη

• "Ni-Key" (naΙͺki) similar to the first name Mikey

• "Nike" (Nike) Like, Mike, Bike, Hike, Pike...

• "..." (Other) I like to be different. My pronunciation is dependent to my mood. Niiiiiiiiiiii-keeey

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chris Hydrick

Top Member
Impact
πŸ‘‡ WATCH ME πŸ‘‡

πŸ‘† WATCH ME πŸ‘†
This poll is in response to a comment from TLDInvestors recent article: namePros wanting threads to stay on topic.

Don says

May 26, 2019 at 12:36 am

"ive been going onto np for about 10 years and it has slowed down bigtime. the traffic is very low now and the simple basic comments of so called domainers has been watered down by alot of useless and irrelevant data. alot of people on np do not have a clue about a many topics and not alot of research is done into subject matter prior to regging domains. in short too many people on the site r not very savvy with limited intelligence and life experience it seems

for example one guy in a post thought the word Nike was pronounce bike and had no clue that the name derived from the greek goddess for victory hence they used nike for a sports company. His comeback that he said was who would know that factoid was his response.

well there u have it. brain dead snowflakes with limited intellect and any interest about the past present or future. thats why u see all kinds of crap domains.

but it has its positives"

Don, the commenter, ironic as it is, is referring to an off-topic subset of the currently trending 5G is not 4G thread.

Whats great about 5G domains is that they are names that can be used for a business. Like any name for a business. On the flipside you could ask, what is so good about the name Nike, or apple. What does an apple have to do with a computer.

Most people, who live in a region where apples are present, learn the word apple at a young age. Then apple poured a ton of money into marketing, and computers, and now a large part of the world knows apple as a tech manufacturer.

Why isn't Nike pronounced similar to bike? Surely not because of Nikes phenomenal branding efforts.

do u not know where the word NIKE comes from mate?

they didnt call it Nike cause its looks like bike if thats what u think.

U better read alot more man. how old r u anyways?

NIKE was a greek goddess that personifies VICTORY. Hence the name used in their sports gear

dah

How many people know this about Nike?

And does this explain why when people who have never heard of the Greek goddess, still pronounce Nike differently than the common 4Ls ending in -ike: Pike, Hike, Like, Bike, Mike

It's unfortunate that Don the commenter misinterpreted my words to the extent of "one guy in a post thought the word Nike was pronounce bike" as I clearly asked, Why isn't Nike pronounced similar to Bike?

Only asking to demonstrate Nike's branding power. In that, most people probably learn how to pronounce Nike as Ni-Key due to the shoe companies branding, before they learn about the Greek goddess Νίκη (Nee-keh).

More unfortunate, is that Don uses this example to justify his opinion of nP that "many people on the site r not very savvy with limited intelligence and life experience it seems".

Have a good day everyone.

And remember we, the people of the internet, come from all different geographics, diverse with all this of cultural and linguistic norms. What's normal phonetics to you, may not be normal to somebody on the other side of the pond.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
funny stuff!

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back