Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
BrandBucket Drives $2.4 Million in Brandable Domain Name Sales in 2015

April 7, 2016 http://tldinvestors.com/2016/04/bra...ndable-domain-name-sales-in-2015.html#respond

BrandBucket announced 2015 sales in a press release out today. 2015 resulted in $2.4 million in sales and the marketplace has grown to 25,000 names. BrandBucket Drives $2.4 Million in Brandable Domain Name Sales in 2015 Los Angeles California Showing growth for the eighth consecutive year since opening its marketplace in 2007, BrandBucket.com reaches $2.4 Million in business name sales in … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Seems to be a lot of BrandBucket press these days. :P

•••
•••
now next
would be great
if they sell
some of

MINE

•••
•••
Well done BB!

Anyone has a list of what they sold lately?

•••
•••
Considering their reasonable average listing prices, that is lot of names sold. Nice job.

•••
Well done BB!

Well... done MK!

Anyone has a list of what they sold lately?
DNBolt.com has a list.

Michael Krell accounted for more than 20% of BrandBucket sales last month. 19/90

44849_67a176031064faaabb7989772688dc87.png
This may Look Intresting :D For March 2016 Note: Accuracy may or may not be 100%

ppp.PNG

BrandBucket Domains
12/18/2014: 8,095
4/7/2016: 27,774

19,679 +/- (Sold Domains / Removed Domains) = $196,790 in listing fee's

Michael Krell BrandBucket Domains:

7/29/2014: 448
4/7/2016: 4,581

"Over 400,000 names have been submitted with only 40,000 names approved."
40,000 x $10 = $400,000 vs 30% of $2,400,000 = $720,000

Did Michael Krell Pay $40,000 in listing fee's? He's contributed over 20% of the inventory since the "expansion." Listing fee's are not logo fee's. Once the fee is paid, a logo is created. These logo's are now BrandBucket's intellectual property. Intellectual property that belongs to BrandBucket after you pay a $10 fee + $XXX additional logo fee when it sells. You could pay $5 and receive a better logo from Fiverr than taking your chances of BrandBucket's no re-design policy (unless you receive preferential treatment)
mk1.PNG

*Above Comment from last week's TLDInvestors article...

I noticed one of Michael's sales didn't materialize. It had a sales tag on all week, and when the sale didn't go through, this domain was bumped to the top of the "recently added" section of the front page all weekend.. Have other people had their domains bumped when a BB sale fell through? No. (this wasn't the case with another sale that didn't materialize)

I know this is a "little thing" but there are many other "little things" that seemingly creates a pattern of preferential treatment.. To his credit, he may not even be aware of the preferential treatment, due to his large portfolio and BB director duties. Nevertheless, when his domains receive a type of treatment that other domains don't, he should recognize this, and offer the same advantages to ALL sellers.

Last edited:
•••
So for March sales the managing director sold 19 names and the closest rival sold only 3.

Really!?!

Starting to look a bit like a scam if they are not careful. I mean, paying for their overheads by accepting other names for $10 each but really only one person benefits.

•••
So for March sales the managing director sold 19 names and the closest rival sold only 3.

One of two closest rival is Boxador which is Margot from BrandBucket. They also had three sales in March. Though, with the 2,000+ domains listed, they don't have a great sales percentage. She hasn't listed new domains is quite some time, so they are not marketed through the newsletters and home pages like MKs.

Starting to look a bit like a scam if they are not careful. I mean, paying for their overheads by accepting other names for $10 each but really only one person benefits.

Remember what first made them gain popularity? FREE Listing Fee's if you took the time to vote.

This is before they made their top seller the managing director, and began hyping up their top sellers sales to entice more domainers to pay to play. As mentioned, MK went from 400 BB Domains to 4,000 BB domains, hence, by using insider information and perks, he retains a high sales percentage and advertises great returns. It seems that they value certain sellers votes more than others.

Last edited:
•••
Kind of defeats the point of a "crowd" platform doesn't it.

It's operating like a private platform where the only guaranteed winner is the Director, not the sellers who are paying for listings and crossing fingers for 1 or 2 sales a month.

Surely it must be an issue, or is everyone just happy putting up with it because there is no alternative.

•••
One of two closest rival is Boxador which is Margot from BrandBucket. They also had three sales in March. Though, with the 2,000+ domains listed, they don't have a great sales percentage. She hasn't listed new domains is quite some time, so they are not marketed through the newsletters and home pages like MKs.

Remember what first made them gain popularity? FREE Listing Fee's if you took the time to vote.

This is before they made their top seller the managing director, and began hyping up their top sellers sales to entice more domainers to pay to play. As mentioned, MK went from 400 BB Domains to 4,000 BB domains, hence, by using insider information and perks, he retains a high sales percentage and advertises great returns.

So, Margot has sale ratio of 1.8% annual? Wow, that sucks. Are you saying that effectively more than half of the sales comes from newsletters and if you did not sell right away or did not make it into newsletter, you chances of sale are basically the same as selling yourself?

•••
30% commission is to much, I avoid it for this reason, there is no reason any exchange should be charging you 1/3 commission, plus you fronting a listing fee.

•••
Are you saying that effectively more than half of the sales comes from newsletters and if you did not sell right away or did not make it into newsletter, you chances of sale are basically the same as selling yourself?

Yes & No. It's not as black and white as this. I've always been a big fan of the newsletter, but that's not all that BrandBucket does to sell domains. They have loads of information, traffic, records of customers keyword requests, tags, pricing, suggested domains etc. Michael has access to all of this, so on top of free and/or discounted listing fee's, I don't see how can continue to say he isn't receiving preferential treatment. It's insulting.

•••
I don't have problem with 30% if they can deliver it. But it sounds like what they are spending that 30% budget is on promoting their own stuff. At least, we have stats that MK is beating averages by over 1% annualized. He is doing it by either preferential treatment in promotions or by gauging insider information on what names to invest, what not and what kind of names would compete with his. Both ways, there is a conflict of interest and it is very unfortunate.

And also, it is not 30%, it is higher.

2000 sale - 600 commission - 100 logo - 10 listing = 1290 or 64.5%. So effectively you are paying 35.5%.

•••
2000 sale - 600 commission - 100 logo - 10 listing = 1290 or 64.5%. So effectively you are paying 35.5%.

So $1290 covers the cost of about 140 domains at $9 reg fee.

So you have to sell 1 out of every 140 you list to break even.

Odds aren't good at all especially being that most of these are just made up types of names.

I don't see any way to make a living doing this.

Charging to be listed and having to buy a logo sounds scammish to me.

•••
I don't have problem with 30% if they can deliver it. But it sounds like what they are spending that 30% budget is on promoting their own stuff. At least, we have stats that MK is beating averages by over 1% annualized. He is doing it by either preferential treatment in promotions or by gauging insider information on what names to invest, what not and what kind of names would compete with his. Both ways, there is a conflict of interest and it is very unfortunate.

And also, it is not 30%, it is higher.

It is a two way street, without user inventory there is no BrandBucket, or you can call it MichaelBucket, the average exchanges charge about 15-20%, the weighted average you showed of 35.5% is unheard of in any type of industry when it comes to %'s. You wouldn't pay it to a car dealer, or a real estate agent, why pay it to them, the more people that speak up, the more it comes into the mainstream.

It might have been easier to pay it when most of those names used to be reg fee, now that they are on everyones radar, I see reg fee brandables sometimes sell for $1xx-2xx as they seem to be brandbucket worthy, I am sure Krell is sourcing his brandables from similar aftermarkets, and has money to play with his high sell thru rate. When you carry more expensive inventory, you really have to increase margins, as the sell thru rate of 1.8% is typical of an average portfolio which typically doesn't have a 35.5% commission rate attached to it.

•••
I noticed one of Michael's sales didn't materialize. It had a sales tag on all week, and when the sale didn't go through, this domain was bumped to the top of the "recently added" section of the front page all weekend.. Have other people had their domains bumped when a BB sale fell through? No. (this wasn't the case with another sale that didn't materialize)

I know this is a "little thing" but there are many other "little things" that seemingly creates a pattern of preferential treatment.. To his credit, he may not even be aware of the preferential treatment, due to his large portfolio and BB director duties. Nevertheless, when his domains receive a type of treatment that other domains don't, he should recognize this, and offer the same advantages to ALL sellers.

More people need to read this post 10 times.

If this information will make anyone want to de-list with BB.

•••
It is a two way street, without user inventory there is no BrandBucket, or you can call it MichaelBucket, the average exchanges charge about 15-20%, the weighted average you showed of 35.5% is unheard of in any type of industry when it comes to %'s. You wouldn't pay it to a car dealer, or a real estate agent, why pay it to them, the more people that speak up, the more it comes into the mainstream.

It might have been easier to pay it when most of those names used to be reg fee, now that they are on everyones radar, I see reg fee brandables sometimes sell for $1xx-2xx as they seem to be brandbucket worthy, I am sure Krell is sourcing his brandables from similar aftermarkets, and has money to play with his high sell thru rate. When you carry more expensive inventory, you really have to increase margins, as the sell thru rate of 1.8% is typical of an average portfolio which typically doesn't have a 35.5% commission rate attached to it.

Lol, brandbucket should be changed to MichaelBucket.com someone should reg that domain and redirect it to brandbucket.com or redirect brandbucket.com to MichaelBucket.com :D

Last edited:
•••
Lol, brandbucket should be changed to MichaelBucket.com someone should reg that domain and redirect it to brandbucket.com or redirect brandbucket.com to MichaelBucket.com :D

Or someone should register MichaelBucket.com and use it to bring to light some of the truth of BB in blog format. For the low cost of $10 annually, that wouldn't be such a bad idea.

I think most buyers miss the good information here on NP, maybe it needs some more eyes.

Last edited:
•••

Or someone should register MichaelBucket.com and use it to bring to light some of the truth of BB in blog format. For the low cost of $10 annually, that wouldn't be such a bad idea.

sww.PNG

I have nothing to do with this, nonetheless...

Last edited:
•••
It is a two way street, without user inventory there is no BrandBucket, or you can call it MichaelBucket.

Here is my two cents: If any brandable domain name marketplace can stand up and offer to pay each user $10 - $100 EACH MONTH depending on the size of the domains that is listed on the their site that brandable market place would expand. As every user will be happy becuase they will still be getting paid regardless if domain name sale or not. I think this is the way it should be? Who is ready to put this approach into action. I sure people know money talks. :D
However, there is certain measures that must be taken which I don't necessarily have to share as it's only my 2 cents and not a full dollar.

•••
Here is my two cents: If any brandable domain name marketplace can stand up and offer to pay each user $10 - $100 EACH MONTH depending on the size of the domains that is listed on the their site that brandable market place would expand. As every user will be happy becuase they will still be getting paid regardless if domain name sale or not. I think this is the way it should be? Who is ready to put this approach into action. I sure people know money talks. :D
However, there is certain measures that must be taken which I don't necessarily have to share as it's only my 2 cents and not a full dollar.

What most brandbucket users don't realise is that their domains listed and redirected or Name server changed to brandbucket is responsible for over 40% of brandbucket traffic and ranking boosting in search engines. And some domains has lots of SEO juices inherited but now is been transferred over to brandbucket when you redirect them. So bb users reg/buy a name and redirect it to brandbucket and pay brandbucket on top very funny it should be the other way round. So, don't be suprise when they double their income again whilst none of your domain listed sold.

Last edited:
•••
What most brandbucket users don't realise is that their domains listed and redirected or Name server changed to brandbucket is responsible for over 40% of brandbucket traffic and ranking boosting in search engines. And some domains has lots of SEO juices inherited but now is been transferred over to brandbucket when you redirect them. So bb users reg/buy a name and redirect it to brandbucket and pay brandbucket on top very funny it should be the other way round. So, don't be suprise when they double their income again.

So tehnically brandbucket still benefits from you if they sale your domains or not. Not surprise when they want your domains to stay on their platform 30 or more days when you inform them you want to leave.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back