NameSilo
  1. Great news!
    We've decided to go back to our roots: NamePros 2004. We hope you enjoy our old-but-new look!
    Dismiss Notice

Brandable Domains (Part 1 of 4) – Are they worth the investment?

Labeled as advice in Brandable Domain Discussion, started by Eric Lyon, Feb 18, 2017

Replies:
Views:

1. brandables.jpg
    Read More

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Domains - Wanted

Domains - Wanted Top Contributor VIP

Short answer: YES!
    With caveats. Good idea to write about this, by far, biggest segment of the domaining pie! Looking forward to upcoming parts 2 - 4...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  3. rafaelo0

rafaelo0 Established Member

Hi @Eric Lyon first let me just say thank you for the excellent article can't wait for part 2, 3 and 4 maybe in one of those parts you can share with us where to sell and where to find endusers for brandable .com domains. I know that you can sell them on brandbucket or in your own website or by auction or even researching companies that have the same name in different extensions but say i have a brandable .com and i want to do some outbound offers but there isn't any companies/websites with my brandable name where can i find prospects?

Also i see that in your article you mention Ninjablock.com sold for 50$ in the Questionable brandable investments (Unpredictable sales of questionable brandables) i was the one who sold Ninjablock.com i did have a BIN for 50$ but a buyer approached me by private message and we talked on a price and i sold it for 39$ and altered the BIN to 39$ just thought you might want to know so that you can correct your article.

Ps: i sold Ninjablock.com for that amount because i needed to clear some domains from my portfolio and cash for another investment but i still think Ninjablock.com has potential to sell for xxx$

Best Regards,
    Nuno

4. Julio

Julio DominioNombres.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

The URL says 1 of 6 don't make it shorter :)

I'm starting to learn about brandables this was a good first part. What I am starting to understand about brandables is that they have to make sense, sound good ( radio test ).

I understood that when I was watching TV about 2 weeks ago and the commercials for Atomic Light was on.

5. frank-germany

frank-germany domainer since 2001 / musician VIP

I want to add
    not to register a domain
    that you can't imagine
    selling at least for 4 digits USD

as when you finally sell a domain
    you want to cover for all your previous spendings

if you go for just a few dollars
    in the end you may agreed to the so called "fact"
    that 99% of domainers are losing money

6. Thanks for heads up, I changed the $50 to $39 for accuracy.

And no worries, part 4 will cover how to sell brandables. ;)

7. Ya, it started at 6 parts but then I combined some of them that worked better together and the end result was 4 parts.

Radio test is important with most, but not all. Keep in mind that some abbreviations can be considered brandables in the right niche markets. I'll have more about that in Part 2.

8. Domains - Wanted

Brandcronyms (brandable acronyms) is the term you're looking for, I think :xf.smile:

9. This works great as long as you aren't overpricing. Imagine if some of the domains in the bad investment list had $10k price tags. Even most the ones in the questionable lists might find them self sitting for renewal several more years with inflated pricing. It can be a delicate balancing act when pricing. The key is to first understand the value of the brandable needing priced. Ideally, understanding the value prior to investing in one the best path to take.

10. Those work as well. There's nothing like a good solid premium acronym. ;)

11. Domains - Wanted

@Eric Lyon
    To be sure: you've mentioned abbreviations. Using first letters only (e.g. ABCD.com) are acronyms, not abbreviations. Abbreviations are constructs like: SitRep.com. Two different things. Both are brandables, of course.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  12. frank-germany

frank-germany domainer since 2001 / musician VIP

the problem with prices is :
    you need to know your future buyers pockets

as long as you do not have an iquiry
    its really hard to tell
    and its more or less dossing dices

but most domains in the lower region
    are priced at $1.2K USD to $1.8K USD
    so if you have no clue
    that price point may be good start

for me a $30 USD sale has more costs attached
    then benefits ( taxes / accounting )
    so I tend to simply delete them

I would like to add that most domains I sell
    I actually do own for a long time
    5 to 10 years

but so what?

13. There's nothing wrong with having a long hold game. Diversifying and have both long hold and quick flips can also prove to be a good strategy. :)

14. Thanks for pointing that out. I've clarified a bit more as to what I'm referring to in regards to acronyms and abbreviations in part 2 of 4 that I just rolled out here: https://www.namepros.com/threads/br...-of-4-identification-and-inspiration.1002239/ ;)

15. anantj

anantj Top Contributor VIP

Actually, it is the other way around. SitRep is an acronym and abcd is an abbreviation

16. Domains - Wanted

Acronym: an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g. NASA).

17. anantj

anantj Top Contributor VIP

Yup so sitrep is an acronym :)

18. Domains - Wanted

Initial letters = first letters only. Hence, the acronym for "situation report" would be: SR :xf.wink:

19. Here's how I addressed acronyms and abbreviations in part 2 of 4:

20. ValleyRock

ValleyRock Sales and Outreach

Wonderful insights Eric.

I have been toying with idea of a "brandable" domain after the reading the blogpost and from my inference it seems their might be consistent path to the so called "brandable domain".

I have noticed these; and not sure if they are "brandable" or just "pun".

1. proper.com -> prupr.com
    2. brandy.com -> brando | brndy | brandi
    3. violent.com -> vyolent.com
    Brandable seem to be easily built from popular words. Your list has many valid examples which have actually sold.
    1. Tonix => Tonic
    2. Snax => snap | snack
    3. nimby => nimble
    4. vroom => broom | va va voom
    I believe it's important to remember that the word must ring a bell. Like the example you cited on the scorpion blog

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice