IT.COM

discuss Black Friday..do you..

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
... discount your domains on Black Friday? A good idea?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think it being Black Friday should hold any relevance over the pricing of a domain, any more so than the pricing of a piece of real estate (or other). Typical shopping discounts yes, but I wouldn't categorize our business the same. That being said, each to their own. If you are to offer a bargain, I wouldn't say its necessarily wrong either IMO

Last edited:
•••
The bottom line is that you could always give it a try, BUT keep in mind that if you are using Sedo, the changes in price would not be reflected by their affiliated marketplaces for about 24hours.
Another challenge is also that, unless you had leads from before that you can notify of the decreased pricing, one would wonder about the odds of interested folks being alerted to the holiday discount.
And one final question, since this is an international forum: Is "Black Friday" something unique to the U.S., or are other nations also in tune to this holiday shopping discount frenzy? Thanksgiving is a U.S. holiday, but perhaps "Black Friday" and "CyberMonday" have now been established as international traditions?

•••
And one final question, since this is an international forum: Is "Black Friday" something unique to the U.S., or are other nations also in tune to this holiday shopping discount frenzy? Thanksgiving is a U.S. holiday, but perhaps "Black Friday" and "CyberMonday" have now been established as international traditions?

Good points. To answer the last one, it's big in the US obviously but it has been gaining a lot of popularity in western Europe over the past couple of years.

In NL it's usually marketed as Black Friday week. Discounts are not as high as you'd find them in the US though:)

More tech savvy people definitely know it as it has always been a great day/weekend to buy digital goods for as long as I can remember.

•••
In Eastern Europe they do it too, but many times right before these ''happy days'' the price will be raised twice on a tag and then a discount of 50% will apply.

Last edited:
•••
BF is for consumers.
Domain is for investors/traders/business people.
Consumers don't buy domains. Yeah, one can be consumer and trader at the same time. But let's not make the things complicated :)

•••
In Eastern Europe they do it too, but many times right before these ''happy days'' the price will be raised twice on a tag and then a discount of 50% will apply.
They do that here in the UK too. The good thing is they have to tell you what the price has been on thier adverts so if you read the small print you wont get duped.

•••
It will be interesting to hear if anyone is doing this for all their domains.

•••

Not all as most promos are limited. I plan ahead, reserve funds and transfer a couple of hundred on Black Friday. More if there's opportunity.

Saving a lot this way, especially if there's a decent .net or .org deal.

•••
Do you mean trying to offer a "Black Friday" discount or taking advantage of the Black Friday sales for domain registrations, transfers, etc?
Last year, I wasn't really in tune to the notion that Registrars would even being involved with Black Friday sales, so I missed out on some really great deals. This year, thanks to some dedicated folks listing the sales at NamePros Discount Offers Section, there appear to be some real bargains now posted. For myself, at least one of the transfer deals looks very appealing (with NameCheap), and I will likely be happily using that one for multiple domains.

•••
I think discounting is only good if its marketed properly. Otherwise nobody knows it was discounted and it will be anothewr regular sale

•••
I think discounting is only good if its marketed properly. Otherwise nobody knows it was discounted and it will be anothewr regular sale
Well, the reality is also that so many new domain registrations are being offered at extremely low prices with these Black Friday sales, so one wonders how much attention goes to those low-cost acquisitions instead. If someone was keen on a particular domain name, there's a possibility that they would be drawn to buying a much cheaper Black Friday alternative for a few bucks instead. And, in terms of someone with funds for domain investing, taking a gamble on buying hundreds of $1 domain names might be more appealing than spending hundreds or more on a premium one.

And that's not to say those are good choices for potential buyers, but this may make it more challenging to have an effective Black Friday sale for your portfolio.

•••
•••
I already droped 50%, as I need to cashout ASAP.
It's more not about Friday or so, it's more personal. As I don't have a paln to hold.

•••
•••
Back