Dynadot

.biz .biz...what if I found a popular name, but...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Ok, so what if I found a name that is popular, but all of the good domains(.com, .org, .net, .info, .us) are taken except .biz.

Example(and only that):

What if I thought of a name, Hybrid Cars to reg...
Now what if all extensions (.com, .org, .net, .info, .us, .ws) were taken except for .biz.....my question is this...would hybridcars(.)biz be worth regging??

I'm not going to say the domain that I am referring to becuz knowing my luck, someone will hurry and snatch it up.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
if all the others are taken that would mean its a popular name and therefore might be worth something

•••
Then again, you might run into TM issues. If its a longer domain i would advise against .biz unless you plan on developping a site.

•••
If all other extensions including .ws are taken and only .biz is remaining then the name might be certainly very popular so I think you should go for it and develop it into something relevant.

•••
JYM said:
Then again, you might run into TM issues. If its a longer domain i would advise against .biz unless you plan on developping a site.

It's a two word domain and I don't think it is that long. 13 characters long. So, not really sure on that.

There are about 673 searches daily for the name, there are 3882 searches daily if you add an s to the end of it.

•••
sandyfeet said:
It's a two word domain and I don't think it is that long. 13 characters long. So, not really sure on that.

There are about 673 searches daily for the name, there are 3882 searches daily if you add an s to the end of it.
Overture shows monthly searches. Are you talking about another tool that shows daily searches?

•••
The fact that 5 other major TLD's are registered is only one factor in potential value. I use some of the following in addition decide if the domain is worth taking:

1. How are the other TLD's being used? - Are any of the others active and developed, or are they just parked?

2. What are the expirations of the other TLD's? - If any are registered for more than 3 years, it may indicate more value.

3. How long have they been registered? - If most have been registered for a while, it may indicate more value.

4. Who owns the other TLD's? - If one of the big boys like BuyDomains or another professional owns them it may indicate some value. If all are owned by different people, it can go either way. If all are owned by one person, it may actually be a negative, since only one other person sees value, but not in the .biz.

5. Are any of them blacklisted? - if any of them have been known spammers, it could reflect negatively on the rest of the TLD's. I own a .com that someone once spammed from another TLD. I got many nasty complaints, even though I wasn't involved or actually owned the TLD that did spam.

6. Are any/all of them currently listed for sale? - Check sedo and afternic to see if listed and what price they are asking. sedo may even show monthly hits on the for sale page.

7. Is it trademarked? It could be that all the other TLD's are owned by one person who has it trademarked. They just don't see the need for the .biz version. However, they could file against you if you picked it up. (see #4 above).

8. Has it been owned before and dropped? This could indicate that it got no hits for PPC. It could also indicate the former owner was just too greedy or not patient enough. You can find this info at domaintools.com or archive.org.

Most of the above information can be discovered at domaintools.com or other domain resources. The more you know, the better decision you can make as to potential value.

•••
Found .eu on sale at sedo and don't know the price...said I needed a bid of atleast $110. After research, I'm not sure that .biz is for me, but still not sure. There is only 1 site for this name developed (.info) and 2 parked (.eu & .net). And 3 are undeveloped (.com, .org, .us). Also, .com, .org & .net all expire 8/06.

Estimated Searches for the exact name...

Google: 118093/mo.
yahoo: 59047/mo.
MSN: 29523/mo.

Top bid on overture - $2.22
Average CPC google - $4.53

Now, I did find a similair domain (.com), but longer...4 words (26 characters). However, for monthly searches for the EXACT name typed in, here are the statistics(using seobook tool):

Estimated Searches for exact name...

Google: 5,896/mo.
yahoo: 2948/mo.
MSN: 1474/mo.

Top bid on overture - $1.00
Average CPC google - $3.04

I'm not sure what the better choice is here. I'm thinking the .com even though traffic is way lower. I could rank higher for that name(4 word) and slowly build up on the bigger keywords over time, right?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back