Dynadot

.biz .biz domains??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Assorted Domains

Impact
I purchase a .biz domain from a drop. I have listed it for sale but no offer on it. although the domain is a keyword domain with over 10k exact search/month...i was just wondering if .biz is still valuable?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Unless you have a super stellar keyword, I wouldn't recommend investing in or holding any .biz names.

The extension has seen it's days and holds little to no value, especially in the aftermarket.

You can pick up LLL.biz names for pennies these days. That should give you an idea of where the market for the extension is heading.

IMHO.

•••
•••
Hello and welcome to namepros,
From the stats you are giving, you made a mistake backordering a .biz domain.

@sdsinc, of course.

•••
They have very little value in general. But there are always exceptions :)

•••
Try to use your own experience searching the World Wide Web using Google, Bing, or Yahoo.

How many .BIZ domains show up on your keyword searches ??

None ?? Shocking ??

•••
...type in site:.biz on google search and you'll wind up with 372,000,000 results. Small comparatively to .com, .net, .org, etc but it means that someone still uses the extension.

You may not get the roi you want but if the name at the front of the dot appeals to an enduser they may want to purchase it, depending how small their enterprise is and if it fits their budget.

I myself bought my first and only .biz this year with the understanding that it will go to an independent "ma and pa" type of enterprise, so the price will not be a wallet-buster.

Try to look at things realistically and you can come up with your own conclusions as well...

•••
...type in site:.biz on google search and you'll wind up with 372,000,000 results.
I'm not sure if any potential target customers of end-user businesses actually type on Google search that way.

If .BIZ domains don't rank on top, perhaps it means serious content developers do not invest on .BIZ domains.

•••
If .BIZ domains don't rank on top, perhaps it means serious content developers do not invest on .BIZ domains.

I used that site:.biz only to show that the extension IS being used, and actually used more than .me, which surprised me personally.

I agree. The point I was trying to make is that the enduser may be looking for the name, not the extension, and may be just a small entrepreneur not interested in page rank or SEO. I feel that is the case with .biz, which is why the price will fit their budget. It is a small extension and depending on the keyword will only bring in a small roi, but an roi nonetheless...

•••
the enduser may be looking for the name, not the extension, and may be just a small entrepreneur not interested in page rank or SEO. I feel that is the case with .biz, which is why the price will fit their budget. It is a small extension and depending on the keyword will only bring in a small roi, but an roi nonetheless...
If i was a cheapo mom-and-pop business, i would probably rather pick a two-word combination domain ending in .COM and unregistered. I could add a "the", "my" or "best" infront of it, and pay only reg fee. And i still get to own a .COM domain which is more reputable.

If no word combination is possible, i'll probably just put up a Facebook account for my business, for free.

•••
If i was a cheapo mom-and-pop business, i would probably rather pick a two-word combination domain ending in .COM and unregistered. I could add a "the", "my" or "best" infront of it, and pay only reg fee. And i still get to own a .COM domain which is more reputable.

If no word combination is possible, i'll probably just put up a Facebook account for my business, for free.

...probably the best move to make, but there are exceptions to the rule and the long tail accommodates that when the price is right. Some just want that name at the left of the dot regardless.

I also agree that facebook and its siblings are THE place for social marketing of your business.

•••
.biz is never a first choice, pretty much any .biz taken must have already been taken in .com/.net/.org.
Because it's not a 'popular' TLD, the aftermarket is poor.
As a rule, somebody who is willing to spend money on the aftermarket will at least want a strong TLD.

That being said, yes .biz is used by legitimate businesses sometimes, but you won't find a lot of high-profile websites.
Any extension can be developed, but not any extension is fit for pure play domaining.

I used that site:.biz only to show that the extension IS being used, and actually used more than .me, which surprised me personally.
.biz is older and has 2M regs, while .me came 5 years later to the market and has about 630,000 regs.

But there might be more bona fide development in .me. That wouldn't surprise me. Anyway it's more fashionable it seems :)

•••
Some just want that name at the left of the dot regardless.

That's how new gTLDs wants to strike the market.
That is the only reason I like .biz
You can get with some luck the exact keyword you need.

•••
.biz is never a first choice, pretty much any .biz taken must have already been taken in .com/.net/.org.
Because it's not a 'popular' TLD, the aftermarket is poor.
As a rule, somebody who is willing to spend money on the aftermarket will at least want a strong TLD.

That being said, yes .biz is used by legitimate businesses sometimes, but you won't find a lot of high-profile websites.
Any extension can be developed, but not any extension is fit for pure play domaining.

.biz is older and has 2M regs, while .me came 5 years later to the market and has about 630,000 regs.

But there might be more bona fide development in .me. That wouldn't surprise me. Anyway it's more fashionable it seems :)

...pretty much agree with the post.

Also, I do like .me personally and see a better present/future in it than .biz, which is why I only have one that .biz I regged last week...

Last edited:
•••
I suspect they were more popular when exact match keyword domains got some extra Google love. Now that those days seem to be over, I personally see them as less valuable.

•••
...i was just wondering if .biz is still valuable?
As Stu said there are always exceptions.

Is there a significant demand for the product/service? Can you acquire the keyword in another extension (cctld like .me/.us, etc.)?

I've had two significant trades involving .biz names:

One single .biz name traded for $2000 in product (I think last year, but may have been 2011).
Next one which was about two weeks ago involved single .biz and .me name traded for approximately $9,000 - $10,000 in product plus $400 cash.

Although no longer talking about .biz, went back to last company mentioned w/ three relevant .me's and traded for another $1000 in product+service.

I'm not talking about all cases, but the companies margin may be where they can justify trading a large amount of product in leui of cash. In my experience, if you're willing to barter it opens more doors to generating sales.

•••
gold.biz sold for $20,460 a year ago
ria.biz sold for $10,320 last October
roulette.biz sold for 6,750 Euro at the end of November
tagesgeld.biz sold for $5,109 earlier this month

•••
gold.biz sold for $20,460 a year ago
ria.biz sold for $10,320 last October
roulette.biz sold for 6,750 Euro at the end of November
tagesgeld.biz sold for $5,109 earlier this month
These 4 jackpots, are what inspires the rest of the 372 million other losers to reg and speculate if they could become the next lottery winner.

freedom30 said:
...type in site:.biz on google search and you'll wind up with 372,000,000 results.

What are the statistical odds ??

•••
What are the statistical odds ??

...again, my only point was that the extension is in use.

Your previous posts pointed out other reservations regarding the extension.

It will sell if the enduser wants the name and is not concerned about the .biz, page rank or seo, etc., like I said. I also maintained that it is not a goldmine and is perhaps limited to a smaller business or sole proprietorship...

•••
I was shocked to see a .biz as the main web address for a food company recently (it was on the package). I am not a huge fan of it, but it isn't totally obsolete.

•••
...again, my only point was that the extension is in use.

Your previous posts pointed out other reservations regarding the extension.

It will sell if the enduser wants the name and is not concerned about the .biz, page rank or seo, etc., like I said. I also maintained that it is not a goldmine and is perhaps limited to a smaller business or sole proprietorship...
Yes, i was just trying to connect that 372 million odds you previously mentioned, versus the 4 lottery winners the other guy posted.

Perhaps (even with .COMs), your odds of selling the domain will improve the cheaper your asking price. I've seen busy activities trading in the $50-$100 range. With $10 renewal cost per year, you will breakeven if you manage to sell it for 100 bucks in 10 years waiting period.

With such low margins ($50 profit in 10 years), you're probably much better off working at McDonalds for minimum wage of $8 an hour. Unless you could sell tons of .BIZ to make the profits worth your time.

Last edited:
•••
was curious what value search volume + CPC added to this extension.

I know the overall expectations of dot biz are fairly low but i recently grabbed a dot biz with some very nice stats that i was hoping to possibly flip for $250 - $500 or so to help pay for renewals... call it an experiment... this is a $6, one year experiment, nothing more. No long term plans on holding this name or paying for renewals.

The name i am experimenting with is a bit of a longtail so i'm sure many of you may hate the name alone just for that...
'Mobile Application Development'

but the stats...
... the stats definitely deserve some attention and seem worthy of consideration, or even a quick sale for such a low expected figure - especially for someone who specializes in this service.
... me thinks anyway.

Search (exact):
Global - 18,100
Local (U.S.) - 5,400
CPC - $19.51

i'm not putting a lot of stock into the idea, and no - i don't expect to retire from this experiment - it is a name i grabbed just for testing purposes and am really looking for two things:

1) - to see if this longtail biz can sell
2) - to help pay for renewals

your thoughts?

•••
After google update, domains registered for their CPC will not have the same success they had before.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back