Dynadot

.bio domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I didn't see much discussion about .bio domains.
Am I the only one who actually likes them (for myself, as a sort of resume/business card name)
But they are way too expensive ($60-80) - maybe at $10-20 they would have a chance...
of course then all the good ones would be taken by domain squat... I mean investors... ;)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think at this moment, putting a .bio on your business card/resume would be just as confusing as a .tel.

•••
Yeah they are way to expensive, I wouldn't buy them though or use them either.

•••
Could you two define what is "expensive" in this scenario?

Obviously you like the string and it's going to be an investment in yourself that'll last years.

When you print your resume, do you use the same paper as everything else? Or do you invest in your potential future by printing it on a nice eggshell textured paper?

When you get called up for your interview, do you practice how you may answer the questions? Do you wake up and throw your "best" suit on or do you ensure that it's pressed the night before or wake up earlier to rehearse and iron?

Looking at a .bio this way, but saying it's too expensive, just sounds like a shortcut if you believe it'll even the playing field 0.0001% in your favor with how competitive it is out there. Otherwise, you're not confident in this string in my opinion.

•••
I think at this moment, putting a .bio on your business card/resume would be just as confusing as a .tel.

I don't mean putting them on a business card (I don't have any)
I mean your website would be your "digital profile/business name/portfolio/personal website", one could put it in a sig on a forum, redirect it to your facebook or linkedin page etc...
The problem with using .com/net for this it that all short/good names are used/squattered/parked. No way to get my initials for less then $xxxx.

And yes, the problem with new tld is that most won't know they exist and will assume it is xxx.bio.com

Expensive for a normal person - everyone likes "free". Why buy $60+ domain when they already have free linkedin/facebook/wordpress.com/tumblr/blogger/about.me/flavors.me/etc.

•••
I think you answered your own question,

to invest in your own future by setting up a 1 page lander; similar to .tel, with your bio and links to your social networks.

And obviously that people would be just as confused with a .bio as a .tel. ;)

•••
I think you answered your own question,

to invest in your own future by setting up a 1 page lander; similar to .tel, with your bio and links to your social networks.
I already have one - [3 letter-kinda sorta my initials].us
I don't NEED another one, so $60 is a bit too much but for $10, sure why not. Just fun "gadget" to have.

•••
Could you two define what is "expensive" in this scenario?

Obviously you like the string and it's going to be an investment in yourself that'll last years.

When you print your resume, do you use the same paper as everything else? Or do you invest in your potential future by printing it on a nice eggshell textured paper?

When you get called up for your interview, do you practice how you may answer the questions? Do you wake up and throw your "best" suit on or do you ensure that it's pressed the night before or wake up earlier to rehearse and iron?

Looking at a .bio this way, but saying it's too expensive, just sounds like a shortcut if you believe it'll even the playing field 0.0001% in your favor with how competitive it is out there. Otherwise, you're not confident in this string in my opinion.

Expensive as in I don't believe in the extension to that grade that it's worth the annual renewal fee for me personally or as a reseller.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back