IT.COM

Beware if you are using Filezilla

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
love filezilla, but what happened this month will make me to rethink if I need another ftp program. I am using filezilla 3.1.3.1 client on my PC. Suddenly one good day when I tried to access one of my website,Firefox gave warning as "Reported attack page". When you see this type of issue with your webpage your heartbeat increases.It means youe Web server is hacked!!

I have posted my horror story at

Visible Blog: Filezilla Security Issues - Hackers are exploiting it

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting since I use Fillezilla after losing my free access to wiseftp D: Problem wasn't really Fillezilla more a problem on your end though?

•••
I accept that my anti virus couldn't detect the issue.However, If Filezilla had encrypted my saved password,my websites would have not been targeted. Don't you think so?

•••
Why is it controversial that FZ would assume that its users keep their systems secure?

I agree that it would be nice if software publishers would clearly spell out stuff like password storage defaults, but on the other hand, feel very strongly that people who use software without ever really wondering about such things until there's a problem -- ie. 99% of people who use computers -- may actually need to learn their lessons the hard way in order for the lessons to sink in.

Sorry for your issue, and I'm glad it was discovered before any serious harm was done.

Frank

•••
Why is it controversial that FZ would assume that its users keep their systems secure?

I agree that it would be nice if software publishers would clearly spell out stuff like password storage defaults, but on the other hand, feel very strongly that people who use software without ever really wondering about such things until there's a problem -- ie. 99% of people who use computers -- may actually need to learn their lessons the hard way in order for the lessons to sink in.

Sorry for your issue, and I'm glad it was discovered before any serious harm was done.

Frank

I am not confident how much damage has been done.Still trying to access the situation.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back