Dynadot

Beware GoDaddy Scam

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TT

Established Member
Impact
The following email is being sent around, However at the email address i received this at I do not have any domain account registered to it. Looks like a phishing expedition to me. Anyone else seen these yet. There is many fators that makes me believe this is fraud. One the URL is not HTTPS, Dear First Name Lats Name after visiting the site I have also noticed it is not godaddy. They will capture your account usernam and password. I also believe the email list was grabbed from here at namepros as this is the only place i have used the email address in question.

Judge for yourself

Important ICANN Notice Regarding Your Domain Name(s)

Dear FirstName LastName,

It's that time of year again. ICANN (the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) annually requires that all accredited registrars (like Go Daddy(R)) ask their domain administrators/registrants to review domain name contact data, and make any changes necessary to ensure accuracy.

To review/update your contact data, simply:
+ Go to www.godaddy.com/?isc=ICANNKEY
+ Click on the "ICANN Domain Confirmation" icon at the top of the page
+ You will be taken to a landing page and asked to enter your Domain Information Key: 12ED47CE-B507-4F8D-BF6E-B3B3C8F3E139
+ Enter your key and click "Go."

Next, simply review the contact information for each domain name. To make a correction, log in to "My Account" with your customer number or log in name and password. Click "Manage Domains" and then "Manage Contacts." If you find that your domain contact data is accurate, there's no need to take action.

If, however, your domain contact information is inaccurate, you must correct it. (Under ICANN rules and the terms of your registration agreement, providing false contact information can be grounds for domain name cancellation.) To review the ICANN policy, visit: http://www.icann.org/registrars/wdrp.htm

Should you have any questions, please email us at mailto:[email protected] or call our customer support line at 480-505-8877.

Thanks for your attention and thank you for being a GoDaddy.com customer.

Sincerely,
GoDaddy.com Domain Support

If you are the domain administrator of more than one GoDaddy.com domain account, you may receive this notice multiple times.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go Daddy is always looking out for your Internet safety. Learn how to verify legitimate emails and detect email fraud by visiting godaddy.com and clicking on the "Is This Really GoDaddy.com" link in the upper right hand corner.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2005 Go Daddy Software, Inc. All rights reserved

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I got one

I got one... and on the email I use for paypal... on godaddy

I didnt do anything yet...

came after i transfered a domain...

•••
•••
i dunno i just entered some random thing and it accepted it...

•••
I got the same notice, and it was legit, and it was the GoDaddy site.

So I'm not sure exactly what you got, or why you feel it's fake.

•••
Would it be best to close this thread so not to deter people actually doing whats right ??

•••
•••
I just want to validate that it's legit

•••
I also got one for my paypal email addy.

•••
I hate to teel you but The email address that this was sent too has never been used accept to activate this np account, also i do not hold any names at godaddy

•••
Why dont u people just contact godaddy geez. Instead of making threads like this ?

•••
TT said:
I hate to teel you but The email address that this was sent too has never been used accept to activate this np account

I understand what you are saying, but we've had people say the same thing many times before, and after further checking every case turned out to show they had used the email address before, but just forgot about it.

TT said:
also i do not hold any names at godaddy

What about in the past? Maybe you sold, traded or let a name expire recently?

•••
I got one of these for each domain i registered with godaddy,

•••
Seems legit to me, also.

•••
TT said:
I hate to teel you but The email address that this was sent too has never been used accept to activate this np account, also i do not hold any names at godaddy

Are you saying the email you received sends you to a different link rather than the www.godaddy.com/?isc=ICANNKEY that is in the thread? Can you check and let me know what link it actually sends you to when you click that?

Did you visit that link and put in your code? It should have listed whatever names GoDaddy had registered under your email address. GoDaddy has the same link at the top of their homepage at www.godaddy.com

GoDaddy does send out WHOIS verification emails just like any registrar, but I'm not ruling out the possibility of phishers creating look alike emails to scam registrar passwords. Be very mindful of what sites you're linked to from emails.

Like you said, it didn't have https://www.godaddy.com GoDaddy says "All Go Daddy pages that require personal information are secure and the address in your browser will begin with "https"."

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/real_godaddy.asp?isc=icannkey&se=+&ci=2883
Says

•••
NameCheap, GoDaddy and other registrars seem to be sending those out en masse.

•••
Mine seems legit.
It greeted me as my real name, not just FIRSTNAME LASTNAME.

•••
I also received this and instead of going to the link I went to godaddy site and logged in. They did not want this information from me. I sent them an email about this and am waiting for a reply on it.

Also Spy69 if you received one for PayPal it is in your best interest to not click on that link and use it. Go to PayPal directly and look for what they are asking. If not sure then contact them and send them the email you received.

I have received many of those and PayPal has gotten them all sent to them and said that they will always contact you using your name and that you should go their site by typing in their address and not click on any link.

There is a huge scam that is using a redirect that makes the link look like PayPal except for one one slight difference and that is that PayPals addy uses the file /us/ in their extension.

•••
TheNetCode said:
I also received this and instead of going to the link I went to godaddy site and logged in. They did not want this information from me. I sent them an email about this and am waiting for a reply on it.
Let us know what their response is to your email... TIA :)

•••
Hi everyone,

I also received this e-mail and I believe it to be real, at least the one I received. If you go to www.godaddy.com and look at the top middle of their site you will see an image that says "ICANN Domain Confirmation Page." If you click on it you will see where it asks you for the code in your e-mail. I have attached a screen shot for you to view if you wish. :)

Take care,
~Mr. Bone88

•••
I also received these emails, but from a different registrar. Should I click on the links there or not?

•••
They are legit - just go directly to the sites you own domains at - and make sure you have the correct "Whois" Info .........

They send them to any emails in their system - whether it is new or old - Don't panic , It is required ........ and you don't have to do anything unless your info is wrong okay ?

It wouldn't hurt to find the links named "Icann" on each of your registrars - and enter the code sent to you ............

•••
Go Daddy is always looking out for your Internet safety. Learn how to verify legitimate emails and detect email fraud by visiting godaddy.com and clicking on the "Is This Really GoDaddy.com" link in the upper right hand corner.

•••
It's 100% legit. I get the same kind of email reminder every year from Godaddy, and I've been with them for years.

(You usually don't end up being required to provide the code number thing after you click on the link, though - that just seems to be required in case there's any question about your account.)

This year I checked out my ownership info and actually found a few contact change errors which I was glad to clear up, via the domain management button. It wouldn't have hurt my domains had those minor changes not been made, but it's good to know that you're keeping everything uniform and accurate, anyway.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back