Dynadot

question Best Place For A Snap Sale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

soopasimon

Established Member
Impact
Hi Guys

This has probably been asked a lot of times, but I will try and ask this in a way that many 'casual' domain name owners may find useful. The thing is, I have one domain I want to sell. I want to sell it quickly (like this week) and it's a nice domain. I won't list it here but there is a very recent post about it I posted earlier.

The thing is I am not a 'domainer', I make my own custom websites, and then turn that single website into my business. My current venture is well over budget and whilst I am not expecting tens of thousands for my domain, I do think it may get low $x,xxx which could help me out short term. I think there may be other people in this boat who come here looking for a quick simple answer to this question:

If you needed to sell a domain straight away and get a reasonable price, where would you do it?
I am thinking of either:

1) SEDO
2) FLIPPA
3) EBAY (but that seems the worst)
4) Here
5) Godaddy (but for some weird reason it wont let me do a 7 day auction)

I am looking at listing within 24hrs, so let me know your best advice. I appreciate it.

PS - I am not holding out for anyone, nor being pro-active. I'm just going to do a re-active auction and fingers crossed. If someone wants to hold out and make a profit, good luck to them - it's what you domainers make money from.

Programming is my domain, domains are your domain :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
OK

I didn't think this was allowed but okay.

It's a great brandable that has previously been trademarked. Trademark dropped and became non retrievable two weeks ago. It was also trademarked before that by Opel cars. So initially the name does not look great but it's history and track record show it must be a sought after name.

The domain is frogster.com

If you Google it, you will see that the frogster company was bought in 2010 for $85m. The company rebranded with Gameforge in 2012. They are huge (Alexa rank 1500 ish)

They did not renew the trademark and it is past it's grace period.

It still gets hits, as there is many MMORPG games under the brand still around.

For me it's a solid brandable with a history. I have talked about it here before and people generally say low $x,xxx up to mid $xx,xxx. I am no domain expert at all, which is why I initially asked for advice.

But to me the history does sound pretty good for a domain. I bought it in 2009 and developed a site that had a top 30k Alexa rank myself. I took the site offline in 2011 and held on to it ever since.

For all this, plus it is catchy meant I had hoped it may fetch a few $'s to help me out as I have spent two years developing my website full time, and it's hard working for so long with no pay!

•••
Well that's a very good name.
I understand you need a quick buck but I'd try to figure something else if I were you. The name itself is obviously popular and extremely brandable. A simple landing page with price and contact info is all you need.
I wouldn't risk letting it go for $750 if I were you.
Like really not..

•••
It's just one of those things. To me it's 'dead wood' now. If anyone is not familiar with that terminology we say in the UK meaning it's just sitting about doing nothing.

I am so close to launching my new site, and I want to enable that instead. When you work for yourself sometimes you have to make decisions. This was actually a pretty hard one for me as I know it's a good name, but my new site is good too, and it's the site that is going to earn me my living.

Just one more month, and I need to pay the bills. If domaining is your passion, go for it. My passion is my website, and I just need one more month!

•••
The site isn't going to make a living the first week.
You've got an extremely brandable domain desired by all.
On top of that previously trademarked by multi-million (gameforge) and multi-billion (opel) $ groups..
At least auction it on Sedo. Featured upgrade. Set reserve. Don't be greedy.

•••
I know what you are saying makes complete sense and I really appreciate that. However I have up it up already, it ends in 12 hrs and I will stick by my decision. I'm just hoping a few people look it up and do a bit of research on it as it really is silly money right now.

But as said to me personally it's dead wood, and I must finish my project. Granted I will get far more in the future if I keep it and put a lander on it, but I'd rather just get my project done.

My project is my 'baby' if you know what I mean. I know this is going for hardly anything, but every little helps right now. My philosophy is to release an asset, to create an asset. I really am that close to finishing.

Somebody could get an insane bargain today, or if it does not sell, I may have to put it on SEDO as you say.

•••
The domain was already sold on Godaddy for 810 USD in 2009.
Another selling point. At least post it in auctions section so that namepros members can see it.
domain.com in auction at godaddy.com. Ends in 10 hours..

Last edited:
•••
It was me who bought it in 2009.
And that was before Frogster became a known brand. I set it at just below what I paid for it 9yrs ago.
As you said, don't be greedy. Unfortunately to some even $750 is a lot of money, when in reality that is a giveaway.

I do really hope some bids come in, because thinking about it, any gaming site would just get an enormous leg up with the name. In fact, any topic could do really well with it. It's brandable.

Maybe someone will 'Hop Aboard' and have a bid.

•••
Create a thread in Namepros auction section.
Let them know in the title that its ending soon.
No one will find you on this thread.
Ahdhbbdbs.com in auction at godaddy.com. ends in 10 hours.
In description talk about domain history and post link to auction.

Do it.

•••
Thanks Windoms

Do I do that in the Domain Name Sales thread, or the Available Domain names section?

As you can guess I am not a domain seller and cannot even see a direct 'Auctions' thread on here.

•••
Namepros.com
Marketplace
All domains for sale
Click Sell domains
Brandable domains
Create thread
You can bump once every 12 hours.

•••
I suspect someone I am speaking to has just had a bid ;)

Thank Windoms. I'll do that now and point the link to this discussion.

•••
I believe having a bid means you can no longer remove the listing.
You are officially screwed :)

•••
•••
Redirect the web address to the godaddy auction page. DNS
You used
Ends at in Godaddy 9hrs. Massive History. Frogster.com

Start with the domain first

Frogster.com Ends at in Godaddy 9hrs. Massive History.

Good luck

•••
Well, you now have your first bid so it is no longer yours! In about 8 hours there will most likely be more bids - many wait until the last hour and sometimes even in the last minutes if bids come in on a popular name GoDaddy will extend the auction. Good luck - will be interesting to watch and see how this ends up!

•••
The description is too long. too confusing.

Everything from ''I suspect much of this was my refusal''
until ''they could never take it off me''

remove link to previous description on namepros. useless.

•••
Well, you now have your first bid so it is no longer yours! In about 8 hours there will most likely be more bids - many wait until the last hour and sometimes even in the last minutes if bids come in on a popular name GoDaddy will extend the auction. Good luck - will be interesting to watch and see how this ends up!

lol I wonder how many sharks are watching him as he's saying ''im in despair please buy for 750$''

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the support guys. Now I am worried!

I think you can tell I am not a domainer.
So today you can watch a guy fretting lol.

I am just a hard worker that is just trying to complete a project I am passionate about.
Sometimes in life you just......have.......to.......let........go!

•••
Domain sold for $1,133

Well it was my only domain apart from my site domain, and that's going nowhere!

•••
I guess you were happy with the price. But I think you took a bath in terms of fair market value. It might be interesting to see who the buyer is, eventually.

Last edited:
•••
Yes I think it was sold at the wrong place. But it's gone now. My new site has got a far quicker turn around in terms of liquidity so the sooner I launch that, the sooner I will recoup more money.

$1,100 is not a lot, but there are times in life that it is a lot.

•••
Yes I think it was sold at the wrong place. But it's gone now. My new site has got a far quicker turn around in terms of liquidity so the sooner I launch that, the sooner I will recoup more money.

$1,100 is not a lot, but there are times in life that it is a lot.

So true. I hope this time it was worth the loss.

•••
Congrats on the sale @soopasimon - will be interesting to see if another domainer bought it and will immediately put it back up for sale or if a developer bought it and is going to try and turn it into something.

•••
Well I feel bad as this happened right in front of us.

Godaddy was the worst option for you to sell that name.
Bidders are there for expiring domains. No ones checking public auctions (by domain owners) like you because there's millions of them and 99.999% are junk. Even with a glorious name, you might not get a single view if you don't tell anyone about it.

Wether you tell people or not. Sedo was obviously the best option for such a domain.
No one would have missed you. It takes 2 minutes to see all auctions coming the next 7 days.
+ you had very good, premium, glorious info on this very nice domain that became legal 2 weeks ago.
Yesterday, the marketplace thread got 200 views in 10 hours. Says a lot.

You made this thread asking people for the best place for a snap sale.

HOW could you guys advise GoDaddy????

Even Flippa is better

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back