IT.COM

Awstats from 1 server to another

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
i hosted one site in a vps ( using kloxo) and now i am closing that and want to move that site to another vps (or a shared hosting ) how do i import that sites stats to new vps or shared hosting ? :-/ :o

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i hosted one site in a vps ( using kloxo) and now i am closing that and want to move that site to another vps (or a shared hosting ) how do i import that sites stats to new vps or shared hosting ? :-/ :o

move your web logs over. Mine are in /var/log/www, yours might be different. Once they're moved over, you can install awstats again and it will process the old log files, too.

•••
if you can't install by yourself, your web hosting company can do that without any cost.

•••
Before choosing the company to host your web sites, read customer hosting reviews. then contact them directly, tell your needs and see what they will offer you.

•••
If your current host and new host both use cPanel, it's possible to make a full account backup and have your new host restore it. The other way is to have your new host do a direct cPanel to cPanel transfer which does not require making a backup and moving it over. Either way copies files, settings, logs and stats. That's the easiest way in my opinion. It's something I've done for several of my hosting customers.

The other way is to copy the folders and files related to AWStats from one server to the other via FTP. I'm not sure where all of the AWStats data is, but I know on my hosting servers there is a lot of data in the username/tmp/awstats directory for each user. I think that might be specific to cPanel servers, though.

Alternatively, you can do what lothos says. That can work. The only trouble is that logs can be huge depending on your site's traffic and the current server's settings. They can take a long time to transfer. Logs can also be too small if your current host rotates logs on a daily basis as many do. In that case this method would only show 1 day worth of info on the new server. When transferring via cPanel, you can actually delete the logs but still transfer all of the historical AWStats data.

•••
Ask the new host, preferably before you sign up - some will transfer and install stuff free of charge when they set up a new account, but charge for doing that if you want it done later.

•••
I think that the best you'd do is to create a support ticket with your new web host and they should explain everything step by step.

•••
Before hosting to a new host, review your new host's services. And study the different hosting plans.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back