Domain Empire

security ATTENTION ALL! Domain loss is possible. Check your Registrant Email at @hotmail.com and @outlook.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sergiy

Established Member
Impact
Hello All!
My English is not very good, I use translate.google.com, but I will try to explain in detail. It's very important.

I accidentally discovered a potential vulnerability. Not only for domain owners, but also for the owners of all accounts of different services based on registration, access, password recovery with e-mail address.

Short story. I'm selling domains .VIP and I decide create new mailbox [email protected] - it was available for registration.
And I received a letter from Godaddy - Item cancellation confirmation...

>>Item cancellation confirmation
>>The following items have been removed from your xxxxxxxxxxxx account:

>>.COM Domain Name Registration - 1 Year (recurring): xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.COM
>>.NET Domain Name Registration - 1 Year (recurring): xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.NET
>>.INFO Domain Name Registration - 1 Year (recurring): xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.INFO
>>.ORG Domain Name Registration - 1 Year (recurring): xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.ORG

(I hide some info with xxxxxx)

IT WAS NOT MY DOMAIN NAMES! I realized that this mailbox and domains belonged to another owner before!

Having Registrant Email it was very easy to recover the password and get access to account Godaddy and other accounts.
After that you are able to change all owner info and transfer domain names.

I wrote simple bash script that get Registrant Email: from WHOIS service for few thousand domain names and select for test only @hotmail.com and @outlook.com emails.
Dozens of registrant email addresses of very expensive domain names are available for registration!!!
Many have already paid for until 2020.

So @hotmail.com and @outlook.com mailboxes has limited lifetime and many of them available for registration again!
I don't now about @gmail.com and other email providers.

Even manualy via google search I found domain names with Registrant Email: at @hotmail.com and Creation Date: from 1996 till 2003 that is vulnerable, because emails is available for registration now for all!

If you buy domain names few years ago and you are not visiting your mailbox at @hotmail.com and @outlook.com more then one year you are at risk!

What I recommend
1. immediately check is your Registrant email @hotmail.com @outlook.com available for registration for all people here
https://signup.live.com/signup
If yes - Sign up immediately and may be better to sign up new email with other email provider without limited mailbox lifetime and change with new email whois info for your domain names.
2. if possible use your domain provider service hiding whois info of your domain
3. tell your friends about this potential vulnerability with limited lifetime of @hotmail.com and @outlook.com mailboxes. Time is go and new mailboxes with limited lifetime will change status to available for registration.

What I asking you
1. Be compassionate and warn the owners if you will find such mailboxes available for registration. But don't send email! Send sms or call to owners. How to find contacts of owner?
Use reverse WHOIS Lookup, just enter Email Address:
http://viewdns.info/reversewhois/

2. If you know what is value of lifetime for @hotmail.com and @outlook.com mailboxes and other mail providers please write this info in comments to this post.

3. If somebody has contacts of Microsoft staff please immediately send them this info. Please ask them increase lifetime of mailboxes. Because not all owners of @hotmail.com and @outlook.com mailboxes knows about this potential vulnerability and are at risk.

Best regards,
with hope for your honesty
Sergiy
Ukraine

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I use Google Apps on my own domains since the beginning...

Last edited:
•••
2. if possible use your domain provider service hiding whois info of your domain
If you want to sell your domains - don't use Privacy.
Also Privacy may be considered as "bad faith" by UDRP.

•••
•••
Because if you are unreachable or don't answer on UDRP-requests - it may be marked as "bad faith".

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back