IT.COM

Atom / Atom.com - Marketplace (formerly Squadhelp)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey Folks,

I've just started using squadhelp.com to list some of my brandable. So far I have 76 domains listed, there is no fee to list. I've had some decent action so far in the way of interested buyers but no sales as of yet. I've only been with them for 1 week now.

A bit of a summary review of SquadHelp:

PROS
  • No Listing fee
  • No Logo design fee
  • Ability to submit your names to end users holding naming contests
  • Ability to chat directly or send a message directly to end users.
  • Stats of your marketplace domains are shown in the marketplace dashboard.
  • Their customer service and support has been great, 24hr a day chat.
  • Ability to increase or decrease the list price of your domains or to show a discount. You can decrease or increase the price yourself by $200. If you want to lower more, you can contact support.
  • End users can shortlist your domains before they make a decision on which they want to purchase. The number of shortlists is shown in you marketplace dashboard.
  • When you submit your names you get to set the price you wish to get. Because their commissions are high I recommend listing at a higher price to offset the commission costs.
  • Their landing pages are fairly basic but they work. Because the marketplace is fairly new, I'm sure we will see style improvements in the future.
  • One thing I really like is they accept multiple extensions. I have listed .co and .io along with .com
  • Each seller gets a direct link to their marketplace portfolio, HERES MY PORTFOLIO. It is handy if your trying to p[promote your portfolio through social media.
  • I like that their marketplace doesn't have tens of thousands domain listings like BB. They are fairly strict on the domains they accept to list and so this helps keep the number of domains in the marketplace down and gets your listings more exposure.
CONS
  • Their commissions are very high, depending on the domain name they are usually between 30% and 35%. However, there are no listing fees, no logo design fees, so in the end their commission is very similar to brand buckets.
  • Their logos are not top quality, in fact I requested to have some of my logos remade.
  • I think they have a big backlog of logos to design, the wait time for logo design has been around 1 week, but your names are still listed while the logos are being designed.
  • After your names are accepted you need to agree to their commission rate, at this point you also need to apply your own keywords, descriptions etc. I found this was very time consuming.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I sold a name today with a 6 month installment plan - This is my 2 sale out of 11 name listed (had my first sale in august 4 week after I opened an account)

Congrats on your recent sale! 2 out of 11, that's pretty good! :)

•••
@GrantP I have acquired domain name that used SH nameservers in past. Tried to check with SH support was it a premium listing or not, but they didn't give me an answer. Instead they simply said that I should resubmit domain again.

Does that mean that previous SH listings cannot be automatically relisted again in order to avoid waiting again for evaluation process? And also, if one SH name was approved as a Premium is it guaranteed that it will be accepted as a premium again and at the same price? Thanks

•••
@GrantP I have acquired domain name that used SH nameservers in past. Tried to check with SH support was it a premium listing or not, but they didn't give me an answer. Instead they simply said that I should resubmit domain again.

Does that mean that previous SH listings cannot be automatically relisted again in order to avoid waiting again for evaluation process? And also, if one SH name was approved as a Premium is it guaranteed that it will be accepted as a premium again and at the same price? Thanks

For acquiring SH domains, there are three scenarios:

1. Acquiring it via SH wholesale marketplace: In this case the transfer of your listing happens automatically and no additional approval is required. We recommend this method of acquisition, especially since SH no longer charges any commission other than the credit card/Paypal fees paid by the seller (which is about 3%).

2. Acquiring it privately outside SH: If the domain listing is still active on SH, you can ask the seller to use the "Transfer Ownership" feature and the domain listing will be automatically transferred to you, without needing any additional approvals.

3. Acquiring a delisted domain outside SH: If the domain listing is no longer active at Squadhelp and you acquire it outside SH, you will need to submit it again for approval. While there is a good chance it will be approved again, there is no guarantee. An easy way to tell whether the domain listing is active on SH is by visiting the domain's landing page. If you are able to see the landing page on SH along with the logo, it means the listing is currently active.

Please note our policy does not allow listing premium domains for sale on third party sites. Any such sales must be handled privately.

Hope this helps.

•••
While we can not discuss specific incidents in a public forum, I understand where you are coming from. When a domain registration is reported, we follow this process to handle such issues. We've had too many situations where it later turned out that the domains were registered by someone other than CH (e.g. sometimes by other creatives, sometimes by a person unrelated to CH etc). Therefore we can not automatically assume that the registration was done by the CH - and we follow the above process in every situation.

Our recommendation is to always register your good domains before submission to contests (you can submit them as Basic listing or Basic Plus even if they are not approved as Premium domains). However we understand that this can get costly, and you may need to balance the risk vs reward when deciding whether or not to participate by submitting unregistered domains to contests.

I understand the process. SquadHelp, as far as I can tell, has fulfilled its commitment to following that process; however, the process, itself, does not fulfill SquadHelp's expressed commitment to "protecting the hard work of our creatives". It offers no protection whatsoever. SH makes an attempt to ask a (quite-likely) devious contest holder whether they are indeed devious. And when no response is given by that contest holder (no surprise), SH throws their hands in the air and says "we tried" ..."we followed the process". The process is flawed. As you stated, the only real protection is for the creative to reg the name; and thus, SquadHelp's expressed commitment is indeed quite meaningless. In fact, SquadHelp is complicit in such transgressions, as there is no transparency. Here is what I mean:

I just spotted yet another incident. A name was shortlisted in a contest in August and regged in early September. I just reported it. I'm number nine now, of reported registrations in that contest. Nine regs in one contest? That's rather suspicious. But I will never know anything substantial about the other eight domains. Maybe all nine names were regged on the same day. SquadHelp would know from the reports if such were the case, while the creatives remain in the dark, and if the CH were never to respond to an email inquiry, SH could conveniently hide behind having followed "the process" while claiming a commitment to protecting the creatives. Did such a thing happen in this case? It could have. I'd never know. There is no transparency. I could raise the issue ...and you could again advise me to reg names before I submit them. It would be irrational to reg names as such. ...and here is what I mean, again:

I have had over 100 separate shortlisted names in the past year that did not win the contest. If I were to have regged each one, I would be out at least $800. ...and that's not regging the good names before I submit them, as you advised in your reply; that's regging the shortlisted names that might actually win. With the preponderance of $100 contests as of late, there is little financial upside to regging names in contests, even if the name wins. SH deducts 10% upon withdrawal, effectively making the prize $90. Further deduct $8 for the name, and you're looking at $82 if you win. You're asking your creatives to act irrationally, plain and simple.

All this said, I don't believe in magic. I don't expect SH to magically make things better for those creatives who have been slighted. What I do want is for SH to be honest and not hide behind a veil of "commitment to protect" when, at the end of the day, the real answer is "reg the names you don't want to miss out on, because we don't really have any way to protect you".

And, as it's already clear that regging names to the extent that they will not be "stolen" by the CH is irrational, all that remains, if SquadHelp is indeed to have the creatives' interests in mind, is for SquadHelp to increase the contest prize payouts. Make it worth the time, effort, and financial investment that creatives must make in order to come up with good names and ensure they're not stolen by the CH. Fortunately for SH, there are currently creatives who don't seem to mind acting irrationally. But I have read accounts from others in this thread who have woken up. I'll bet they were good contributors. I know I am. It would be a shame if SquadHelp's business model were to attract creative minds, but retain only the irrational ones.

What do I want, beyond griping about an issue that has been faced by many creatives, no doubt? Well, a solution is not cut-and-dry, surely. But here are the two things I'd like to make clear:

1. I'd prefer if SH didn't claim this commitment to protection. It's shifty. It's not true. "Protection", demonstrably, cannot be achieved, and to claim that it can is dishonest.

2. Perhaps there could be "premium/basic plus name only" contests. I have noticed in recent weeks that the ratio of $100 to >$100 contests has increased. It has been quite high all year, in fact. It seems that the CHs are trying to go the cheap route. Such a trend dis-incentivizes we creatives to participate and try to come up with (let alone reg to protect our IP) quality names when the prize is so low. Furthermore, if the CH is not willing to spring for even $200 for the contest, they are unlikely to want a premium/basic plus name, so it is not worth submitting our regged names, which could result in our score taking a hit when they rate it "No Thank You".

Encourage CHs to try to extract our best ideas, and compensate the creatives accordingly. Find a way to make it worth the time to come up with good names and protect them by regging them. Seems reasonable. Anything less is irrational.

Last edited:
•••
SH's policy of rejecting domains if the seller's expected list price is too high is a lose-lose scenario:
  • Sellers lose by not getting listings with SH
  • SH loses by not getting the opportunity to list many solid domains
I'd rather not play the game of guessing what price might be acceptable for SH and risk losing a listing just because I ask for too high or too low of a price.

A seller's suggested price should not be a reason for rejecting a domain.

Domains should be reviewed on their fitness for the marketplace alone and, if SH believes the domain is suitable for sale, they should accept the listing and assign the name a price. Then, sellers could have the choice to accept SH's offer or not.

It is particularly strange that SH would reject names if sellers' suggested prices are too high given that SH recently announced that sellers with 50 or more names can double the price of their accepted premium names!

This is a quick fix for SH. How about it @GrantP ?

Last edited:
•••
could always post your expected price at $1 and let sh decide the best listing price

•••
could always post your expected price at $1 and let sh decide the best listing price

Do you do this? I would think you'd get SH's absolute minimum price (rather than the most reasonable price) and that all of your list prices would be too low.

As I understand it, SH might also reject names if suggested prices are too low.

Last edited:
•••
SH really needs to give a bit of guidance why we get rejected. I've gone from 20% acceptance to 100% rejection. I can understand getting rejected some times, but I can't imagine what I am doing now that is causing everything to be rejected. I give up.

•••
SH really needs to give a bit of guidance why we get rejected. I've gone from 20% acceptance to 100% rejection. I can understand getting rejected some times, but I can't imagine what I am doing now that is causing everything to be rejected. I give up.

It is very frustrating to build a portfolio on SH.

I've had too many quality names rejected and reviews do appear arbitrary, totally inconsistent with existing listings.

As mentioned above, one way to improve the situation would be to stop rejecting names based on sellers' recommended prices. This is a bizarre policy that's not in anyone's best interest.

•••

They change thier selection criteria as per market and customer data they process. I am too struggling with it. They have started charging money for a 'help' to classify names if seller is too lazy to do it. Lets not ask SH to give reason of rejection as i fear they might start asking SH coins for that too!

•••
@GrantP

If we could pay 1 squad coin or sh points to speed up the request review process that would be very helpful. The request review process is way too long

•••
I don't know why you people think they are rejecting names basing on price. I once submitted a name with 9999 and they had it approved at 3299 or something (don't remember, I didn't accept), I had posted the screenshot somewhere in this thread.

•••
I don't know why you people think they are rejecting names basing on price.

SH says they do this (see image).

upload_2020-1-5_11-24-44.png

•••
They also need to hire someone that's better at selecting names.

•••
•••
What's certainly true is that they have a lot of inconsistent things, not just in the names they accept.

It's certainly not consistent to reject names on the basis of "maintaining price parity" when they're now allowing sellers to double the list prices of their names.

•••
If a name is a good fit for the Marketplace, we typically do not reject it on the basis of price. In most cases, we provide an alternate price if we are unable to approve it at seller requested price.

However in some extreme cases, we may reject the domain if the price expected by seller is significantly higher (for example, $5000+ for a hand-reg that was registered recently).

•••
If a name is a good fit for the Marketplace, we typically do not reject it on the basis of price. In most cases, we provide an alternate price if we are unable to approve it at seller requested price.

However in some extreme cases, we may reject the domain if the price expected by seller is significantly higher (for example, $5000+ for a hand-reg that was registered recently).

Grant: so you might accept a hand-regged name for $2,500 and then, with SH's new policy, allow sellers to double the price to $5,000 anyway. This is not consistent.

Additionally, names should not be evaluated based on how they were registered (hand-reg or otherwise), they should be evaluated based on their worth and how they can sell on SH.

How about always accepting the name if it's a good fit? SH should never reject domains based on suggested price.

Last edited:
•••
They also need to hire someone that's better at selecting names.
I think at some point we should post a list of the names we submitted, that were rejected so that we can try to figure out what they don't like.

Last edited:
•••
I only agree if there's slashes in between due to google indexing I dont think it's that healthy to let the world know hey this name is rejected from sh

•••
I only agree if there's slashes in between due to google indexing I dont think it's that healthy to let the world know hey this name is rejected from sh
You can use DNMask to safely post domains anywhere on NP and avoid them being indexed.

•••
Regarding domain acceptance, we are more selective than earlier (in order to manage the growth of marketplace in a controlled fashion). However I will share this feedback with the team so that we can review our selection criteria to ensure that we are not being overly selective.

Our team follows the below guidelines closely while reviewing the domains submitted to marketplace. While there are always exceptions, this might provide a broad framework to identify what kind names to submit to the marketplace.

https://helpdesk.squadhelp.com/en/articles/2769330-marketplace-submission-best-practices

•••
Regarding domain acceptance, we are more selective than earlier (in order to manage the growth of marketplace in a controlled fashion). However I will share this feedback with the team so that we can review our selection criteria to ensure that we are not being overly selective.

Our team follows the below guidelines closely while reviewing the domains submitted to marketplace. While there are always exceptions, this might provide a broad framework to identify what kind names to submit to the marketplace.

https://helpdesk.squadhelp.com/en/articles/2769330-marketplace-submission-best-practices

What a perfect timing to be more selective after your 50% discount offer on coins!
You have to consider that many bought more coins after that offer, so at least allow several months before going in more restrictive mode!

I would like to also emphasize on the fact that others also mentioned: the problem is not in acceptance ratio, the problem is in bad selection of names! your team so many times reject good names and accept bad names, I have many examples on that from my personal submissions, but no need to put that publicly.

I think you should hire some domains expert(s) to help in selection process.

thanks

Last edited:
•••
@GrantP how about 1 sh coin to speed up the review process? We are dying over here to get things done

•••
I just got negative ratings for submitting premium names to a contest where they were allowed. Many people brought this to the discussion, I have done it many times through messages with staff. Negative ratings for premiums submissions shouldn't be allowed, simple as that.
Contest holders can change the brief several times, we are wasting our time reading how they want certain words in the name, then they "feel" that those same words don't work while slapping negative reviews, all that effort to have 1/1000 chance to win $82.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back