Domain Empire

Ask a Moderator Anything (Publicly)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Per member request, we've created this public thread.

Please feel free to ask us anything, and we'll try to answer as best as we can.

We look forward to answering your questions.

You may also contact us privately through our support sections:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
@Bravo Mod Team
@Echo Mod Team

What do you guys think about a special badge for 20 year members?
I noticed there are two members already in this thread that will turn 20 next year, and I think that kind of commitment deserves to be recognized, as I'm sure you'll agree. ;)

This should give you plenty of time to decide / implement it.

Peace,
Kenny

Last edited:
•••
Downvoting options should be disabled.

•••
The biggest problem with namepros is market place. 99% of names there are total garbage because of new gtlds that have zero resale value mixed with com domains. People reposting same names 1000 times. Bumping them endlessly with 2K starting price. Complete nonsense.
Here is some ideas.
1. Create $1 start NO Reserve thread for auctions for dot coms. Maybe $10 start for some.
2. If nobody bids in 24 hours it should be removed. Some people running same names for years without any bids.
3. There is no way to see difference if name got bid vs thread owner bumping it.
4. Separate by extensions like com, co , io. Other extensions are not popular and can be combined.
5. Let me know if u got any other ideas.
6. Everyone agrees market place is total ' garbage" the way it is. People have to go through it to find anything decent.

•••
That one person is still a human with feelings. Part of the job of a moderation team--or any oversight body--is to protect the minority from the majority.
That sound so hypocrite

Anonymous downvoting isn't about the content of a posting, it's rather about the attitude behind that posting.

Disagreeing with an opinion without saying why, is pointless. Useless. Everybody knows it.
Repeatedly telling you that I disagree with you without telling you why, so that you have no idea why I disagree, that's called trolling.

The target of anonymous voting is mostly not the content of a posting but the character of the poster.
That's why anonymous voting is so toxic within a community.
That's why is very rational to feel touched and to react when one is the target of anonymous downvoting. Only a moron wouldn't care about people saying that he is a troll within the community he's trying to interact with.

What you say is a truckload of hypocrisy because while you are "protecting the feelings of the minority against the majority" - how wonderful - you are allowing members to be crushed, psychologically massacred.

Could it depend on the fact that that "minority" is composed of heavyweight members? while those who suffer from anonymous downvoting are mostly newcomers and members with a low impact score?

While you have been so generously protecting the feelings of those who want to keep their downvoting nicknames a secret how about a little protection for the feelings of members like Quad domains?

•••
This guy opened a thread with ca 20 replies.
They massacred him

1.png

2.png

What did he wrong?
What are those trolls disagreeing with?

It's a miracle if he will keep posting.
Those low impact score members who watch this, they'll think twice before they post something, and if they do, they'll be very careful to avoid posting anything which in their view could be considered questionable.

This is death for a discussion community

I maintain that suddenly deanonymizing everything would be a slap in the face to quite a few people.

Fair enough but be honest and call things for what they are
Those "people" are Gold accounts and Vip members, whose "feelings" are more important than those of members like @QUAD DOMAINS or @Domain noob.

•••
I believe in positive thoughts and emotions.
If you want to be a toxic anonymous tool; NP shouldnt enable you with anonymous cloak.

Begs the question; and my favorite debate; “Remove all negative actions?” No. But put your name to it.
Yeah, I feel the same way. I have less of a problem with people being toxic than doing it anonymously.

People can leave a dislike, disagree, or comment.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Question for moderator @Bravo Mod Team
Why you start a thread and then turn it into an ask paul anything thread?
Quad, being a minus means you have made quite an impact.
Keep posting you will get to minus xxxx
Then you will be worth something 💐

•••
Look at my poll!
Only one person is happy with anonymous downvoting toxic shills
That one person is still a human with feelings. Part of the job of a moderation team--or any oversight body--is to protect the minority from the majority. Several people have expressed concern about their votes suddenly becoming public, and those concerns are both understandable and justified, regardless of what we've stated our plans are.

For that problem, you may be able to keep the old data anonymized as it is now (without de-anonymizing), while only offering de-anonymized options from a certain date in the future.
I wouldn't be surprised if that's ultimately the solution, but we're still discussing the best way forward (and are open to suggestions). Blanket deanonymization has an obvious drawback.

I also don't like giving people the false impression that anything they post online is truly anonymous. We might have a good security track record so far, but will that still be the case in a decade or two? I'd be remiss if I suggested that NamePros is invincible.

How about removing them and discounting them from the totals? Might that be an option? Is it even possible?
I don't think we'd want to do that, and suspect most of the community wouldn't be on board with that plan, but it's possible.

•••
@Bravo Mod Team
@Echo Mod Team

What do you guys think about a special badge for 20 year members?
I noticed there are two members already in this thread that will turn 20 next year, and I think that kind of commitment deserves to be recognized, as I'm sure you'll agree. ;)

This should give you plenty of time to decide / implement it.

Peace,
Kenny
I think a gold Rolex would be appropriate! :xf.grin:

•••
The biggest argument against anonymization is that it hinders transparency-
No. The biggest argument against anonymisation is that it allows people to avoid taking responsibility for their actions.

and without transparency, there's nothing to combat misinformation.
Who cares about misinformation.
You have completely missed the point.

Again,
Anonymous downvoting isn't about the content of a posting, it's rather about the attitude behind that posting.

The target of anonymous voting is not the content of a posting but the character of the poster.

This discussion is neither about transparency nor misinformation. It's about
a) people getting morally destroyed;
b) people fearing to land in the crosshair of the downvoting trolls.

While you are so focused on metaphysical principles like transparency and misinformation you are allowing people to suffer

•••
Last edited:
•••
Hi

i'd like to know how to view which member gives negative (-) points to your posts.
to me, it's like "throwing a rock and hiding your hand" if your identity remains hidden.

in the past, you could see who gave points whether it was negative or positive
now, as "impact" points, it only shows thanks and likes.

appreciate a resolve

•••
While the chat thread is decent I am wondering do admins have any plans to improve chat and make it more of a room than a thread?
Yes, and we made significant progress developing it, but we had to place it on hold because it was sapping too many developer resources. It's hard to build a web-based chat platform that scales to our size: we're just large enough that most traditional solutions used on other forums don't work well, but we're not big enough that we can just throw money at the problem until it sorts itself out.

I'd like to see chat return at some point; I've always preferred live chat, but we have to prioritize. The old chat system was on life support and was eating up something like 75% of our bandwidth even with optimizations.

•••
This is an interesting thread. I'm glad I found it. I do have one question. When I have clicked on the "Watch" button for a particular thread, is there a certain length of time or certain number of posts after which I no longer get notifications? I have found new posts in several of the threads I am 'watching' and never got a notification.

Here is one example:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/do...tions-newsletter.1198985/page-39#post-8971770

Last edited:
•••
The biggest problem with namepros is market place. 99% of names there are total garbage because of new gtlds that have zero resale value mixed with com domains. People reposting same names 1000 times. Bumping them endlessly with 2K starting price. Complete nonsense.
Yeah, that has been a problem for years.

You have people cluttering up the sales section with endless "bumps" on domains that no one is interested in.

I have brought this up in the past. I feel like NamePros might pay lip service to some of these changes, but nothing ever actually changes.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
@Paul @Bravo Mod Team When is the new chatroom coming doesn't it just seem like it's a thread right now instead of room? Any plans soon for new chatroom?

•••
i can only go back 10 pages of posts still. Is it cause I am on mobile
I'm on a laptop but I just put Firefox into mobile view, and on the 10th page of my content a button appears saying "Show older results". When I click on that the pages of older content show, with the numbering starting at 1-10 again.. but it is the older content.

Edit: I hadn't seen that Paul had already replied.

Last edited:
•••
How do I delete old posts/comments that I created? Some of the stuff I had written I don't want exposed now.

•••
Use DNMask.com to mask domain names;
it replaces it with matching Unicode characters, and then copy and paste unto NP. It’s ingenious.

You can also write “// com” dont do it exactly; or “(.)com”
its an old comment I posted so I can't edit anymore on NP, plus I don't want to mask it, I want to remove it completely

•••
The best way to request a link spaced out in a showcase thread is to click the "Report" link at the bottom of your post in that thread so it sends the exact link along with your report.

A moderator team can them review the report + link and assist with that.

Alternately, you can message a moderator team, but it can sometimes be faster to use the report option.

We hope that information helps.
@Echo Mod Team so I used the report link and they modified the post by spacing out the domain name but it's still obvious what the domain name is. I want the Mods to PLEASE remove my domain name all together. Is that not possible?

•••
•••
Hi @Echo Mod Team

i believe a clear pattern has now been established.

Please address it

imo....
Stop instigating things and post the evidence. What is the pattern iyo? Or are you just making things up? Personally, I'll continue to up-vote or down-vote anything I agree/disagree with, as per the rules. If you don't like it, tough sh1t. I agree that voting should NOT be anonymous but it won't change how I vote.

•••
I guess I will start. Why is there no chat?

Is it a technical issue, or something else?

The "chat" thread seems pretty lame compared to the previous chat.

Brad

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back