Dynadot

security Are your domain names on a holiday like you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DN.com

VIP Member
DN.com Staff
Impact
Security is especially important when you have a domain name.

Recently, more and more domain investors’ accounts have been attacked by hackers and their domains were irreversibly stolen. Of course, at last these accounts will be retrieved, while valuable domains have been transferred. And it is always too late when they finally realize the catastrophe.

Many people take it for granted that their domains are safe, however, is that true? Or, maybe in fact, they are on the way of being stolen?

So the first thing you shall do is to understand the hackers’ attacks approaches and then review your online habits for protecting your domains.

1. Who is Your Enemy?

Dictionary Attack

Simply to interpreter this, hackers have a list of commonly used passwords, let's call it "password dictionary", they try each password until it matches automatically by a software. Even though many popular sites could identify and prevent repeated password trying behavior, there are still many sites which don't have this function. Many people use the same one or two passwords in different sites. The hacker would perform "dictionary attack" in these unsafe websites to get the password and then hijack other more valuable accounts.

Phishing Email

E-mail is anonymous and not verified. The most obvious problem is that the address user sees and the actual address where user locates can be completely different! How to identify phishing emails?

1.1 The URL is usually gibberish. The page could be disguised, however the website address not.

1.2 Phishing emails disguise to microsoft.com and it tends to create a domain such as microsoft.maliciousdomianname.com. Please pay attention that Microsoft.com at the end of the full domain name is the correct address!

1.3 Email demands of personal information, like asking to input account and password for verification and update.

2. How to Protect Our Accounts?

2.1 Fill in valid information when registering;

2.2 Use safe Email when registering;

What kind of email mailbox is safe? In short, even though the passwords are disclosed, the attacker still can't enter the user's E-mail. Now, Email, such as Gmail and Hotmail, has the function of two-step validation, which is safer.

2.3 Bind mobile phone validator;

2.4 Ensure the safety of the account & password;

Set a at least eight-word password which is exclusive and includes capital and small letter. Besides, the Dislocation input method is another way to avoid the disclose resulting from Trojan Horses.

2.5 Lock the domain name;

2.6 Turn on Whois privacy protect service;

2.7 Check your account constantly;

2.8 Be careful of suspicious emails.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Put 2-step identification on every registrar where you hold your valuable domains. This is most important. Anybody trying to login your account won't be able to do so without possession of your cellphone. So any random thief cannot login to your registrar account. Put 2-step identification on your Google Account also. I'd do both of these things even before the advice above. But I would definitely take all the actions mentioned above also. Especially to initially change your passwords (which may or may not be weak).

•••
As it is better use strong password i think software like Lostpass or 1password will be a must. i plann to buy something soon.

•••
Put 2-step identification on every registrar where you hold your valuable domains. This is most important. Anybody trying to login your account won't be able to do so without possession of your cellphone. So any random thief cannot login to your registrar account. Put 2-step identification on your Google Account also. I'd do both of these things even before the advice above. But I would definitely take all the actions mentioned above also. Especially to initially change your passwords (which may or may not be weak).
Thanks for sharing with us!

•••
•••
One thing that surprises me is that people don't use password generators still in 2016. One of the best ones is keefox, been using it for years on linux and now on windows. It's FREE. It has browser integration, android,apple apps etc. I've been hacked twice 10 years ago, since using this I haven't had any threats.
On my precious accounts with sensitive information I change my password often. All passwords are different and at least 126bit random generated passwords

As for free mail services, I recommend staying away from any of the popular ones. I recommend protonmail.com, hushmail, safe-mail etc. With protonmail (which i started using recently) it has 2 login passwords, doesn't keep logs and if you lose your password like I did once it encrypts everything in your mailbox.

As for software, I recommend malwarebytes and nod32

•••
One thing that surprises me is that people don't use password generators still in 2016. One of the best ones is keefox, been using it for years on linux and now on windows. It's FREE. It has browser integration, android,apple apps etc. I've been hacked twice 10 years ago, since using this I haven't had any threats.
On my precious accounts with sensitive information I change my password often. All passwords are different and at least 126bit random generated passwords

As for free mail services, I recommend staying away from any of the popular ones. I recommend protonmail.com, hushmail, safe-mail etc. With protonmail (which i started using recently) it has 2 login passwords, doesn't keep logs and if you lose your password like I did once it encrypts everything in your mailbox.

Thanks for sharing with us!

•••
Good points, though i disagree with using privacy on any domain you want to sell. if it's a long term hold or project domain, maybe. I have had countless buyers find me directly from the WHOIS. These also tend to be a more educated buyer who isn't surprised by my price. I want buyers to be able to find me through WHOIS. And yes I know they can still send an email to the privacy email, but in my experience as a buyer, that seldom seems to work as intended.

•••

i gave a check to keefox, it seem cool but as it is open source is not easier that it will be hacked?
also another question that come out to my mind.. if a person could hack one of those software it will be really happy to know each password and each account.
I saw you mentioned that each password is 128bit random generated but as profane i would also ask this question. At first look i feel more safe using a software like 1password or lastpass..
Any reply concerning this issue is appreciated

thanks

•••
i gave a check to keefox, it seem cool but as it is open source is not easier that it will be hacked?
also another question that come out to my mind.. if a person could hack one of those software it will be really happy to know each password and each account.
I saw you mentioned that each password is 128bit random generated but as profane i would also ask this question. At first look i feel more safe using a software like 1password or lastpass..
Any reply concerning this issue is appreciated

thanks

You can read this article here, although a bit old the rule of open source doesn't change.
http://gizmodo.com/lastpass-vs-keepass-whats-the-best-online-password-m-1452918307

The most important detail:
Your KeePass database is kept secure behind either a master password or a key file (that you keep on a USB drive, for instance), or both. The entire database is encrypted using AES 256-bit encryption by default, or Twofish 256-bit encryption, if you prefer. Every password is automatically measured for quality, and a random password generator will churn out a password to your specification. Finally, the open-source nature of KeePass means its code, and its integrity, can be scrutinized by anyone, adding a degree of confidence.

The way I have mine setup now is that I have extra encryption on my key file using software called veracrypt. But that's overkill.

Btw here is another good resource i recently found:
https://www.privacytools.io/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back