NameSilo

Are you a treasure hunter or a hustler?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kuffy

Name StagTop Member
Impact
As domainers we really need to have a range of skills, but it seems that most of us have a particular focus in our skills. I think I'm a treasure hunter, and I enjoy combing the beaches and diving for the wrecks that contain the domain name gems. I'm also a collector, and I seem to get hung up on certain niches for a while, and then I find a new interest. Rat rods was one of these, and I really should have sold HotRat.com for £2,000. I seem to have lost the guy's email addy, so that will have to go down to experience.

I feel uncomfortable hustling people via email and phone calls, and I suspect this is holding back my sales of names. Probably the answer for me is to continue compiling niche specific lists and promoting those to generate enquiries.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hunter .. trying to make time to be a hustler! lol

Be to be a successful domainer I'm thinking you got to be good at both! ;)

•••
I remember hunting for Hustler in my adolescence..;)

•••
I would say Treasure hunter/Beachcomber as far finding domains but then I dont do this for a living. As to hustling people, I dont. I have enough of that with mail marketing. If I was doing this for a living though then yes, whatever it takes.
As far as selling Domains, I am building mini-sites for domains I want to sell and I then post in forums related to the domain to promote them.

Oh, if you ever find that guys email address I have RatRag com, wouldn't expect to get £2000 though!!

•••
I'm not sure what to do with Rat Rag - Isn't that something to do with cornered politicians?

•••
Good question! Both, sometimes the treasure needs to be kept very safe...locked away for years...it's funny you mention "beachcombing", I was thinking about that word the other day, and yes it sums up domaining perfectly imo!

Last edited:
•••
[QUOTE="domainer111, post: 6298583, member: 17480".it's funny you mention "beachcombing", I was thinking about that word the other day, and yes it sums up domaining perfectly imo![/QUOTE]

Are you saying there is a load of dead wood on the rocks? :)

•••
Got to be a hustler to some degree but I consider myself more of a treasure hunter.
Aren't you the one (Kuffy) who I saw mention "guerrilla marketing"?
I don't want to hijack your thread but I do have a question.
As far as selling Domains, I am building mini-sites for domains I want to sell and I then post in forums related to the domain to promote them.
Hi Listio.
Do you have an example of your mini site? Is it beyond a basic landing page? I have been exploring this as an option for some of my names and have started with one but it is so basic it is almost embarrassing. Didn't think of posting it in forums tho and have been going with a fb page and twitter tho I am new to both of those and seems there is much to figure out to get those in front of the people you want to have it in front of. So much saturation of those it seems to be just buried. (ahhhhhh, buried treasure. someone will dig it up.)
Welcome to NamePros by the way.

•••
I don't think it was me who mentioned guerrilla marketing. I had a pet guinea pig as a kid, but that's the only pet I've had, It was quite well behaved, so it's not the same thing.

Apologies for that post, but I wasn't sure which was worse - that post, or mentioning that I own HairyMail.com - would that work as a name for outbound marketing?

•••
@Kuffy ... Rat Rag could be used for new self cleaning rodent hair de-tangler, or the Rodent Appreciation Socities weekly newsletter. I dont think it would take much to interpret it as the 'go to' magazine for Rat Rods .... Yours for only £1995

•••
@shorterwinters
The sites are nothing fancy basically HTML template, CSS code and JS. There are plenty of open-source solutions for churning out sites. Look for open-source landing pages on GitHub. I personally use a customised email autoresponder template as a one stop solution landing page. The mini-site or landing page is primarily to catch signups, so if you can offer an incentive for them to signup then I would recommend it. Also you want to double-opt in if you intend to use mail services for follow-ups as most require it. I use own mail server so signups dont have to confirm. If it is only the odd email address then just use your gmail or whatever and send follow ups manually.

Last edited:
•••
Here in Texas, Our beaches are nasty and suck for the most part, So in the Texas we call it "mining" I have always been a domain miner, I have never tried the Hustler thing, I make more, and get more satisfaction out of multiple streams of revenue- PPC-CPA-CPM , than selling names, I mean, I will and have sold many domain names, But not at reseller pricing, I would rather keep my names and enjoy them, as opposed to acting like a starving dog and practically begging people to buy a domain name, I have seen, and see today, a lot of that Hustling-Begging stuff in domaining. I have never, and will never contact people via email or telephone asking them if they want to buy a domain name, That sucks and it is a classless act just like cold calling and solicitors, Classless desperate shit , In my opinion.

•••
•••
[QUOTE="domainer111, post: 6298583, member: 17480".it's funny you mention "beachcombing", I was thinking about that word the other day, and yes it sums up domaining perfectly imo!

Are you saying there is a load of dead wood on the rocks? :)[/QUOTE]

Well, perhaps on the beach, late at night there are drunken parties around a fire?

Yes, I see the remnants of that every day, the smouldering burnt-out ashes of the night before!

Last edited:
•••
I'm neither! I'm a Domain Pimp!

Pimpin ain't easy!

Life is hard out here for Pimp.

Everyday I tell me domains.

"Get back on that auction and make me that $$$$"

And tell that (Go)Daddy to NO MONEY NO HONEY!

:-P:xf.wink::ROFL::xf.laugh::smuggrin::ROFL::xf.grin:

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back