Domain Empire

question Are people hacking my domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sjpals

Yeah, this is meTop Member
Impact
I have several domains on bodis.

When I look at the referrers report, a lot of the domains have prefixes such as cpanel, gitlab, wp, admin, cpcontacts, ftp etc or just some random letters and numbers.

Is this people attempting to hack the domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Afaik, those are considered as referral links since the visitor tries to reach the URL with the subdomain and gets redirected to the lander URL (eg. from http://wp.domain.com to http://domain.com)

•••
•••
I'm assuming, since you mentioned Bodis, that we are talking about domains that used to be developed websites and you parked to earn money. Maybe those websites had subdomains for whatever use, eg. they used an ftp subdomain to host an ftp file directory

Maybe I'm wrong but I really don't see where the 'hack' is coming from in this case

•••
It would be very strange if many domains that you have that are unrelated in their history would have this type of referral traffic. It is not a hack attempt.

•••
Those can be attempts to hack into a website, cause they think there is a live website on those domains.
I have seen such on my domains, they try to access wp, backup, admin, wordpress etc.

•••
Those can be attempts to hack into a website, cause they think there is a live website on those domains.
I have seen such on my domains, they try to access wp, backup, admin, wordpress etc.
That’s what I’m thinking. They are attempting to hack into them and then Bodis has redirected the domain and recorded it as a referral.

•••
It would be very strange if many domains that you have that are unrelated in their history would have this type of referral traffic. It is not a hack attempt.
There are many unrelated domains, yes. It’s very strange. If someone is not trying a hack attempt, what on earth are they doing?

•••
I'm assuming, since you mentioned Bodis, that we are talking about domains that used to be developed websites and you parked to earn money. Maybe those websites had subdomains for whatever use, eg. they used an ftp subdomain to host an ftp file directory

Maybe I'm wrong but I really don't see where the 'hack' is coming from in this case
There are too many of them. If there was one or two, then I would have presumed that yes, someone was using an old url.

I don’t know much about hacking, but I presume that hackers will just try urls until one resolves and then try to hack that. So if they try cPanel.mydomain.com and it resolves to the cPanel login, then they will hack that.

•••
They are bots that basically do mass penetration attempts to see if they can access unsecured installations of common software like WordPress, cPanel, Magento, Drupal, etc.

Nothing really to worry about as long as you keep all your information and installations secure.

•••
They are bots that basically do mass penetration attempts to see if they can access unsecured installations of common software like WordPress, cPanel, Magento, Drupal, etc.

Nothing really to worry about as long as you keep all your information and installations secure.
Perfect, thats kinda what I thought, but just wanted to check, as I had a pretty long list of attempts!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back