NameSilo

discuss Are One Word gTLDs Actually Worth It?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I started checking out on some gTLDs just lately, since domaining is not really my prime thing, and I'm finding a LOT of available gTLDs that are one word only at regular price, not premium. And I'm talking about good, popular words that are closely related to the gTLD, not some random domains like kitchen.financial lol.

I snatched a few of them that I thought were good and I could develop nice brandable websites on them, but it seems like I'm finding a lot more without much effort.

So I was wondering if these are(will be) actually worth something as domains only. Can you get a good price on them and sell them quick? Or are there way too much gTLD-one word combinations than there will be ever a demand for these?

A few examples of what I got recently for around $20-25:

gadget.gift
kitchen.fit
gizmo.kitchen
tool.kitchen

Would love to hear your opinion on this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, they are. But they have to make sense, or at least be catchy, across the dot. With the ones you grabbed, I would ask for a refund. You're seeing a ton available because there's a bit of an "art" to the ngTLD name game, not just going all willy-nilly on them.

Look at your username, for example. If there was such an extension as "fly", spirit.fly would rock it! It flows, it sounds good.

And no, they don't sell quick, nor is there huge demand due the the insane availability.

•••
Yes, they are. But they have to make sense, or at least be catchy, across the dot. With the ones you grabbed, I would ask for a refund. You're seeing a ton available because there's a bit of an "art" to the ngTLD name game, not just going all willy-nilly on them.

Look at your username, for example. If there was such an extension as "fly", spirit.fly would rock it! It flows, it sounds good.

And no, they don't sell quick, nor is there huge demand due the the insane availability.

Great explanation! I see your point and thought might be the case, but just wanted to make sure :) . It has to have a ring to it, of course.

Just a side-question: what if I developed those domains I got. Like put a nice wordpress theme and add some content around the theme of the domain name. Do you think that the domain name would add to the final price and be profitable?

•••
If it's an exact search match, than it could. Google is displaying gTLDs results more frequently now. But don't forget with gTLD's you are wanting the end name, rather than just a redirect. If done correctly, they are extremely brandable. How many people would want "Tool.Kitchen" to show off their new gTLD website/brand?

•••
I started checking out on some gTLDs just lately, since domaining is not really my prime thing, and I'm finding a LOT of available gTLDs that are one word only at regular price, not premium. And I'm talking about good, popular words that are closely related to the gTLD, not some random domains like kitchen.financial lol.

I snatched a few of them that I thought were good and I could develop nice brandable websites on them, but it seems like I'm finding a lot more without much effort.

So I was wondering if these are(will be) actually worth something as domains only. Can you get a good price on them and sell them quick? Or are there way too much gTLD-one word combinations than there will be ever a demand for these?

A few examples of what I got recently for around $20-25:

gadget.gift
kitchen.fit
gizmo.kitchen
tool.kitchen

Would love to hear your opinion on this?
When investing in new gTLDs, one should not look for 1 word gTLDs (no matter what TLD is), but rather one should look for combos in form of keyword1.keyword2. These combos needs to make perfect sense (example : comedy.network), and it is ideal that both keywords should have large number of searches in google analytics (example: car.insurance). Or, if this is not the case, they should have clear semantic meaning (kitchen.equipment), or be very brandable (great example I just saw recently: new.life).
Or should have lot of backlinks (famous example : dead.horse)

Actually, there is only very limited supply of such terms, and competition between domainers is very fierce to get them. Many of such great names has also almost insane renewals and very high prices set by registries.

The examples provided in your posts (with all the respect) are pretty bad names..they will not sell. It is definitely true that one can generate thousands and thousands of such examples and people register them. Then later, after first renewals they say that new gTLDs are bad investment. So one needs to be very careful - when new gTLDs era started 3 years ago, people were registering names like pizza.diamonds, just because both part are great words..this is very bad strategy to start with. People often think (just as you wrote) there is huge availability in new names, but that is true only for bad combinations..good combinations are pretty difficult to find.

Hope that helped :)

•••
My primary source of income is SEO and doing affiliate sites. So I was picking the domains by the niche I was about to build an affiliate website for :) . The exact terms may not have many searches in google, so that's not cool, but for building a small authority site in that niche I think they will do the job.

So yeah, lesson learned, these won't sell on the name alone. But what if I develop them and sell them as websites? They would be much more preferable than say: getfitinthekitchen.com or something like that.. Don't you think?

•••
gizmo.kitchen gadget.gift would be great affiliate sites. Good examples of making more on the build vs up sell.
Happy Hunting!
Cheers

•••
My primary source of income is SEO and doing affiliate sites. So I was picking the domains by the niche I was about to build an affiliate website for :) . The exact terms may not have many searches in google, so that's not cool, but for building a small authority site in that niche I think they will do the job.

So yeah, lesson learned, these won't sell on the name alone. But what if I develop them and sell them as websites? They would be much more preferable than say: getfitinthekitchen.com or something like that.. Don't you think?
It is always great idea to develop, you can add tons of value doing that. But what about buying a great combo and develop it, instead of buying so so combo..I would say results of your work which you invest in development can multiply this way :)

•••
the combinations are meaningless. they could work for com/net/info.
for newTLDs must be a logical combo, like blind.date, rock.club, car.loans ecc....

•••
I'm finding a lot more without much effort.

With the huge amount of competition do you really think you could easily reg valuable one word ngltd's?

The fact that the names you regged were available should tell you something.

Most, if not all one word new gtld names with the best new gtld extensions are either premium priced or already gone.

I suggest you get a refund immediately and do more research in the future.

Last edited:
•••
@spiritfly

As mentioned above the best ones would be like, Example; travel.agency, fun.center etc..

They should be one word and perfect match left.right for the best chance of making a sale.

A few exceptions would be xyz which is totally generic so stick with short left .xyz, or .gdn IMO.

It's also a fact that most top domains are reserved, or sold in EAP therefore if you want the best you'll need to pay upfront, or go to auction. You can find some missed hand regs but they're few and far between.

Actually many good new g's are dropping if you can find them, or check the auction sites for ones that are already registered. Moving forward the best ones will continue to get harder to obtain, look at the most recent releases it's crazy what the registries are pricing them at.

•••
I like to think I have a couple of good combos. Although a lot of people think the same way about their domains. But, obviously mine are the best. ;)
j/k, of course

•••
I know that the best combos are either already registered or premiums priced at unreasonable sums. But back in the days when nTLDs weren't available you would consider a two word .net domain a gem even if it's something like: drivehydrogen.net (which is currently priced at $2000 at sedo btw) or a "brandable" nonsense .com like bazoyoo.com. I can see similar domains still holding prices and realistically they are way worse than the examples I've given in my OP(mine are the best, lol).

So my point was: these many so-so one word combos in nTLDs are still availabe today, but maybe there's a chance that they become valuable in time once the supply starts decreasing?

Actually I wanted to ask the question: whether these so-so one-word nTLDs can become a rarity in like 5-10 years and raise in price or will the supply forever surpass the demand for these type of domains?

Last edited:
•••
I know that the best combos are either already registered or premiums priced at unreasonable sums. But back in the days when gTLDs weren't available you would consider a two word .net domain a gem even if it's something like: drivehydrogen.net (which is currently priced at $2000 at sedo btw) or a "brandable" nonsense .com like bazoyoo.com. I can see similar domains still holding prices and realistically they are way worse than the examples I've given in my OP(mine are the best, lol).

So my point was: these many so-so one word combos in gTLDs are still availabe today, but maybe there's a chance that they become valuable in time once the supply starts decreasing?

Actually I wanted to ask the question: whether these so-so one-word gTLDs can become a rarity in like 5-10 years and raise in price or will the supply forever surpass the demand for these type of domains?

Anything is possible.

Sure some new gtlds could be valuable in the future, but acquiring them now and holding them 5 - 10 years will be expensive, especially if you have a bunch.

Holding a dot com will cost you 9/10 dollars a year, but most new gtlds are way more expensive, and the premium domains are off the charts expensive.

Buying and holding new tlds now and holding them for years does not make sense at this time unless you already have deep pockets and don't mind the risk.

•••
ccTLD ( country code top level domains like .at .be .ch .de etc )
gTLD ( generic top level domains unsponsored like .com .net .org .name ) :xf.wink:
nTLD ( new top level domains like .auto .bike .club .domains etc )
sTLD ( sponsored top level domains like .jobs .mobi .travel etc )

Last edited:
•••
gTLD ( generic top level domains unsponsored like .com .net .org .name ) :xf.wink:

Damn I was never good with proper terminology, I'll edit my post now :D What's the popular term for new gTLDs then?

EDIT: Do you read my mind? :D

Last edited:
•••
•••
So my point was: these many so-so one word combos in nTLDs are still availabe today, but maybe there's a chance that they become valuable in time once the supply starts decreasing?
Sure there is, but you have to take into account whether the extension you've chosen will even be around in 10 years. If there's not enough renewals/registrations to support it, that mediocre combo you're banking on will be dust in the wind.
I've had to say my goodbye's to some of my own, and these weren't medicore. Not because I couldn't afford it, but because I knew the combo I chose was like only 1 out of 10 perfect matches for that extension, and there is no chance of the TLD sustaining itself on just my renewals and maybe a couple other peoples. There is no way I am paying a yearly fee for a dead-end.

•••
Sure there is, but you have to take into account whether the extension you've chosen will even be around in 10 years. If there's not enough renewals/registrations to support it, that mediocre combo you're banking on will be dust in the wind.
I've had to say my goodbye's to some of my own, and these weren't medicore. Not because I couldn't afford it, but because I knew the combo I chose was like only 1 out of 10 perfect matches for that extension, and there is no chance of the TLD sustaining itself on just my renewals and maybe a couple other peoples. There is no way I am paying a yearly fee for a dead-end.

Wow I haven't even considered that possibility. I'm sure it's a plausible scenario with many of the nTLDs, but I'm still wondering how will that play out. I mean some people will have businesses built around their domains. What would they do in case a TLD collapses? Haven't heard something similar happening in the past?

•••
•••

Actually I wanted to ask the question: whether these so-so one-word nTLDs can become a rarity in like 5-10 years and raise in price or will the supply forever surpass the demand for these type of domains?
Scarcity alone has never made domain names increase in value, when there isn't end user demand. You know, all domains are 'rare' because they are all unique ;)

You sometimes see domainers thinking a buyout in a certain TLD (ie LLL.biz/.us/.info) will boost prices. This is flawed thinking. It doesn't happen when the TLD is unpopular. Scarcity has no effect on demand proper.

Speaking of LLL.biz/.us/.info etc: legacy extensions, including ccTLDs, are still underutilized.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back