Domain Empire

discuss Are gTLDs affecting .Com price and growth

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Isac

Top Member
Impact
I think there is a decline in demand and price of .com domains because of new gTLDs. What's your opinion ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
At least in most european countries is like 85-90%cctld-10%com. I'm not saying that ngtld's are more popular than com or cctld's in any country, just that they are catching up...

not seeing any of this happening. Startups are often at the cutting edge of innovation and it's been 4 years and they still don't use them much.

investors mostly got sold bags by the registries and still holding on to them hoping the next year will be the year they will finally take off. They will renew forever without getting good results.

Last edited:
•••
not seeing any of this happening. Startups are often at the cutting edge of innovation and it's been 4 years and they still don't use them much.
4 year for a few of them, but mostly they started from 2015. Around 10% of my portofolio are ngtld, but believe or not, I get more offers for them than for net and org, so that should say something. Also, people are asking about them, most of them are not aware that ngtld are used, so want to know more. I've tested outbound for 10 ngtld, and received inquirires/offers for 3 of them, so much higher response rate than usual. Mostly, they are xxx offers, but for me it's a good sign for the future. Try to make outbound for com and check the response rate, people are aware of .com, it's nothing new, so it's hard to capture their attention.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Point being on even playing field where two registered domains have no content. The ntld ranks hire on googles search pages organically.

with this

"I own job.supply and it ranks better than jobsupply.com"

You're just making stuff up.

You didn't not give me a search term where it ranks higher. First, parked pages generally aren't ranking for anything besides maybe a search on the exact url. They're both parked pages. Both have the same keywords, job supply. The .com would probably rank higher in your scenario anyway.

Then you go on with other examples, I have no idea what you're talking about:
"there are others who have found ntld to be useful for organic traffic.(ebay.com with shoe.supply)"

shoe.supply? It's an expired page -
shoe.supply has expired
http://domain-registrar.storage.googleapis.com/expired.html?shoe.supply

So how is ebay finding that url useful for organic traffic exactly?

http://www.shoe.supply -
404. That’s an error.

The requested URL / was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

Last edited:
•••

Kate,
Registrations are a statistic. Sales of domains that someone else sold (i.e a registrar) are a statistic which is often misleading as many reported registry sales are suspect - used to encourage investors into registering domains in that TLD. Follow up six months later to see if those domains are being used by a real business. You will find quite often they are not.

How are .COM aftermarket portfolios performing sales vs renewal costs in recent years since new TLDs were launched?

How are legacy TLD portfolios such as .Net, .Info, .TV, performing the last few years - sales vs renewals?

Yes, there are low-budget developers and end users using new TLDs. They might have paid low $xxx previously for a .COM or .Net but now can get a domain for $XX. Registries are selling the best new TLDs but how are most new TLD aftermarket portfolios doing sales vs renewal costs? The evidence - few reported sales versus a massive number of registrations suggests they are performing very poorly.

I do believe new TLDs have given low-budget end users options and have affected alt TLD sales such as .Net and .TV.

•••
So I visited Rome a few months ago, I don't think that anything changed in the meantime. If you want to order a pizza, all are using 'it, hotels have 'it and 'com a well, but they are mostly for tourists, I have dealed with some of them buying something to sell in other EU country, they were using just .it, even do they were doing business all over Europe.

Yes as I said. ccTLD dominate in many countries (DE, IT,FR) but .com or .net is used as a second choice when they don't use a ccTLD.

•••
China is usually using .com, or .cn. Not much different than from the US. Not sure about Japan but I would guess it is like in China.
I have studied Top 100 Internet Companies and Top 300 New Internet Companies in China and published on my website. com is King in corporate China. For my latest study, please read "Analysis: next generation companies in China still prefer .com" https://domainnamewire.com/2017/09/18/analysis-next-generation-companies-china-still-prefer-com/

Regarding Japan, it is still in the search box era. While most companies use .jp the extension is not highly valued thanks to Yahoo and Google searches. Even .shop CEO spends most of his time promoting .shop in China instead of his native land of Japan.

•••
.com is widespread in Italy alongside .it.
.com is popular in the UK too.
However in the Netherlands .nl is everywhere. During my last trip I have seen just one .org, one .eu, and two or three .com that belonged to large companies like ING or Philips (Dutch companies).

Generally speaking Europeans like their local extension, many small businesses register their names in the local extension and even leave the .com unregistered... But there are still many companies that think the ccTLD is too limiting, and will go for .com instead. Some of the bigger companies will gladly use .com, or those that cater to foreigners like hotels, restaurants , or those that trade a lot with other countries.
Of course, the best to own both and cover bases.

But I am not convinced Europeans have a lot of interest in the other extensions. Also, they now have geoTLDs like .berlin or .paris that are in competition with the local extension. But they don't seem to be very successful. They are sometimes used by some official websites or public institutions.
I think there isn't a lot of upside to limiting your business scope to a single city/region. Likewise, many nTLDs are niche extensions and limit your scope too. While they add focus and precision, they still limit your scope. Good branding should be reasonably future-proof.

•••
I think the main point is that businesses are usually not experienced domainers and buy all kinds of junk and shiny objects because they don't know any better but that does not mean it is a good idea to invest in junk and glass perls.

I can't see thew Gs ever being successful in non-English speaking markets, because you would have to create domains that consist of one English language TLD and one local language SLD.

I don't think this will give you good combos. A few exceptions apply: .club, .tv, .internet etc. these words can work because they are globally used.

.com can work with any language because it does not mean anything.

I would say the new Gs are dead in Asia(at least China) and hardly used in Europe.

Last edited:
•••
I'm talking about acceptance..not real usage, I would like to see how you can measure that if you choose to stay in US and suppose that you know what most europeans are thinking, you can have a taste of reality by visiting some EU countries.

Besides real numbers I posted, you had Kate, passini etc post about what they're seeing. But you talked to a few friends.

People who are commenting here and assuming that gTLDs or other extensions do not affect .com market have no idea about basic economics or how the markets work.

Of course, any other extension than .com is affecting .com sales and growth.

If you have more competitors in a market this means you will lose a certain amount of percentage in the market. If the number of competitors raises you will lose your customers to your alternatives.

If there were only .com available in the market it means that this extension is the monopoly for the industry.

But today there are hundreds of extensions available to register and millions of them registered by end users and domainers. So .Com is losing their market share to their competitors. Period.

Maybe, you're unaware of the alternatives to .com that existed before the new gtlds came along? That's where it's having an affect.

If they couldn't get a .com, then they settled for a .net, .info or whatever. Now they can settle for one of the new gtlds.

Last edited:
•••
People who are commenting here and assuming that gTLDs or other extensions do not affect .com market have no idea about basic economics or how the markets work.

If you have more competitors in a market this means you will lose a certain amount of percentage in the market. If the number of competitors raises you will lose your customers to your alternatives.

If there were only .com available in the market it means that this extension is the monopoly for the industry.

But today there are hundreds of extensions available to register and millions of them registered by end users and domainers. So .Com is losing their market share to their competitors. Period.

Nonsense. The question is not if they lose but how much. If they lose 1% does it matter? No.

Coca-Cola do not care if you bring hundreds of different unknown cheap cola drinks on the market.

That is the point of having a strong brand. .com is a very strong brand. Virtually anyone on earth knows it.

A strong brand does not have to fear smaller competitors. Do you think flooding the market with fake gold or gemstones will threaten the real thing? Of course not.

That is businesses 101. Also if you mention economics. Supply and demand. Where is the demand for your product? 37 sales a month?

Last edited:
•••
The OP`s question is undebatable and I am not going to discuss with people with no knowledge of business, economics or what so ever.

These people are living in their own reality and can`t accept the real facts about how the market works.(@dordomai @JB Lions @Kate )

See how many customers they(.com) have lost to other extensions.

@dordomai don`t give me the business101 bs cause you have no idea what you are talking about. Check the numbers and you will see millions of customer choose other extensions than .com. This means .com lose that amount of customer to other extensions.

You know there is a common practice with uneducated people which is they mostly give examples with unrelated cases to prove they are right. There are hundreds of competitors against .com. Yet you give Coco Cola example where there are only few cola brands in the world.

@JB Lions you said there have been other extensions before new gTLDs, have you seen I metioned new gTLDs on my post? I said all the other extensions... The question is easy to answer but you guys are obsessed with new gTLDs. Read my post again. Since you came up with new gTLDs you should know that number of competitors with new gTLDs are more than any other extensions. More competition means there will be affect on the market share for .com.

As I said this question is undebatable so I won`t lose my time discussing with false .com prophets

I really don`t have time for you guys, I figured that out from our other discussions. You guys asks questions and get your answers. When I ask questions you don`t reply and change the topic. I won`t have discussion with you any more.

@Isac

Last edited:
•••
@boker

Well the reason I am brokering .com is because I want to make money. If I did not want to make money, I would broker nGTLDs.

And no you have not left any links to prove anything. You counter actual data with .. "I spoke to someone that said"... "My feeling is that"... "In future probably it will be like this"..

7 years ago I wrote my masters thesis in international business management. The topic was the domain name aftermarket. I did primary data collection on consumer trust of TLD and keyword. Actual research with 200 people surveyed. The result was clear. Clear keywords based on the local ccTLD (I am based in Denmark) was first, .com was second in consumer trust.

So when I entered this market professionally I used that knowledge to select which names to pursue brokerage off.. And its not gTLDs and its not ccTLDs either. Why would I pursue a single national market when a global one exists with a clear preferred product?

You think you see where the market is heading. But you are wrong. I am not sure if you dont understand economic principles like market monopoly and consumer habits, but all of your thoughts are not based on data. Just what you think might be right. And we are telling you, with data at our backs, that you are wrong.

•••
•••
For majority of new gtld's, there is no way to affect .com. Mainly, they are more expensive than .com, either at reg time or at renewal. The new gtld's that I bought- i thought they were good because of the cheap reg fee. When the renwal fee is 2 to 3 times of the .com, I no longer see it as an investment but a liability. As a matter of fact, I don't like that new gtld lower their price just to get me to reg, only to jack up the price a year after. Because a lot of new gtld's do that, they take away trust and create fear. Uncertainty.

But there are always few gtld's that will do good.
They probably won't do anything to .com.

•••
For majority of new gtld's, there is no way to affect .com. Mainly, they are more expensive than .com, either at reg time or at renewal. The new gtld's that I bought- i thought they were good because of the cheap reg fee. When the renwal fee is 2 to 3 times of the .com, I no longer see it as an investment but a liability. As a matter of fact, I don't like that new gtld lower their price just to get me to reg, only to jack up the price a year after. Because a lot of new gtld's do that, they take away trust and create fear. Uncertainty.

But there are always few gtld's that will do good.
They probably won't do anything to .com.
You are viewing this as a domainer...nobody is saying that they are the best deal for a domainer, you should think as an end user, who doesn't matter if they pay 10$ in one year and 30-40$ in the next year. Also, there are companies who paid xxxxx for a ngtld when the com was for sale at low xxxx and parked or not revolving or even available, so that should say something about how end users are viewing them.

Last edited:
•••
I thought mobi would eventually rise. Now, no one cares about .mobi. Most consumers don't know what .mobi is.

welcome to the future of nGTLDs.

•••
I personally think com/net/org will always be king, if only because they have seniority. Though other extensions may take over w/in the top 10

Samuel L Dotson

•••
Why pay the price for a .com when you can get the same name in a different extension.

why spend millions on branding when you can get your company brand IMega-Zone.biz for regfee?

Last edited:
•••
:)

There is, I admit, at this stage much greater mindshare for legacy tld's like .org and .net.

Colin Campbell,
CEO .CLUB Domains

Premium sales seem fine for registries. If you believe the reported sales.

These extensions are out for almost 4 years and they are dead in the sales charts, completely dead. We have less sales compared to 2-3 years ago not more.

Last edited:
•••
I can't see how this doxing is relevant to the discussion.
I may have sold a few names over here for $50 ea in the past. Some liquidation sale that was not even representative back then, and even less today.
So what ?

•••
Way to put up a straw man there. I'm not defending the new names, but surely some potential buyers would think twice about paying the premium for a .com.

In the past I have purchased .com names for development. Not anymore, my business model relies on search engine traffic. I don't see the point to pay for the .com when I can outrank it with one of the new extensions. Maybe I'm the only person on the planet not paying a premium to get the .com, but I kinda doubt that.

You're completely different from a lot businesses tho. Real businesses aren't reliant and only think of search engine traffic, they think bigger picture. If you just want some little, reliant on search engine traffic site, it doesn't matter what extension you use.

Last edited:
•••
No, people from the start have used different extensions, this isn't new. But bigger companies understand why you get the .com.

The .com is not going anywhere, the best .com names are going to sell for a premium and the new gtlds probably have little effect on that.

At the same time, lesser quality .com names may be taking a hit.

•••
I don't think new G's are affecting the value of .com but I know for a fact there are times when a new gTLD is purchased and the .com still sits for-sale.

Just a quick example would be shop .link and shoplink .com is still available. So it's documented that some .com sales are being lost because of the newer extensions and that fact isn't debatable.

•••
I don't know much domaining.. But because of gTLDs, the value of .COM is gone up.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back