Watch

Are Brandables Changing ?

• 7 votes
  • Ended 11 years ago
  • Final results

DnEbook

DataGlasses.ComTop Member
Impact
I am seeing some sites using terms that perhaps may not have been considered not so long ago and i am thinking are brandables changing ?

Instead of some cutesy short word are we now seeing a shift that coincides with what will be voice search in the future ??

I was watching tv and an advert for one of the banks here in Australia came up promoting the website 'startwithus' (.com.au)

What's your view ?

Maybe you have a brandable based on this theory ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Your example is not a brandable but rather a call to action domain name, nothing new :)

•••
Your example is not a brandable but rather a call to action domain name, nothing new :)

In my view if it is not a generic it is brandable

•••
Brandables can be lots of things.

Call to action domains can be brandables (one we've all heard about - meetme.com/meet.me)

Made up words can be brandables (twitter.com, tumblr.com)

Generics can be brandables (hotels.com, shoes.com)

Words that when you first hear them, think one thing but because of marketing (which helps brand) turns out to be something else (monster.com)

Somebody's first or last name can a brandable

An acronym can be a brandable (REI - Recreational Equipment Inc.)

A Geo can be a brandable (Gander Mountain)

There might be words that are more easier to brand but marketing plays a major role in that.

Last edited:
•••
In my view if it is not a generic it is brandable

What is your background in marketing and in turn, why should your innovative theories on the underpinnings of brand awareness be taken as credible?

Last edited:
•••
what is your background in marketing and in turn, why should your innovative theories on the underpinnings of brand awareness be taken as credible?

ouch !

•••
Attempt at classifying domains:

money.com => generic
startwithus.com.au => call to action domain
domainsthatmeanbusiness.com => long tail domain
no_url_shorteners => domain hack
h4ck3r.net => leet domain
google.com => brandable

Anything else ?

Last edited:
•••
with the exception of a few (such as 1saleaday.com), most of this kind of domain will not be used for long term. As soon as the business grows bigger it will want to acquire a better domain.

•••
in my view domains can be like this:
brandable generics like hotels.com
and brandable brandables like vevo.com

•••
One thing that might affect domain preferences is the increasing use of shorteners in Twitter - you find people using stuff like tim.es but often with really unusual extensions, and so a lot of people get exposed to this stuff.

•••
Attempt at classifying domains:

money.com => generic
startwithus.com.au => call to action domain
domainsthatmeanbusiness.com => long tail domain
no_url_shorteners => domain hack
h4ck3r.net => leet domain
google.com => brandable

Anything else ?

Yes.
Keyword brandables.

CarWorld.com
TVLand.com
LampUniverse.com
AmazingAntiques.com
eChairs.com

Last edited:
•••
i would also like to add: descriptive brandables, non-descr brndbls

•••
As the term implies, "Brandable" comes from the word "brand". A brandable domain is a logo or trademark in the form of a human word, which aims to EASILY associate your product or service in the mind of your users.

The more easy it is to associate with your product or service, the stronger the brand is.

It doesn't matter whether the logo, trademark, or in this case the domain name, is EXOTIC in nature. As long as it provides immediate connection with your product, then it becomes brandable.

With domain names, dictionary terms or words (and their combinations) can readily appear as "brandable" to anyone. But "Google", "Twitter", and "Yahoo", are examples of words that don't make any sense back in the 80's and early 90's. But now, they are brandables.

So, evenif a domain (or any word for that matter), is not a dictionary term, it CAN be brandable if it is catchy, and easy to remember. You develop it, and make it brandable. Being a dictionary term, is just a lucky advantage.

Calvin Cordozar Broadus, Jr. is not a brandable name, because it is difficult to remember and not catchy. So he changed it to Snoop Dogg (more brandable).

•••
Anything can be branded.

In this context, the issue at hand is whether or not certain words, when put into domain name form, are so resonant that other people will desperately want their business to be identified by those words and pay you a lot of money for the domain you happen to own.

Another contextually relevant fact is that .com itself is one of the most powerful branding devices there is. When combined with a definitive keyword, that.com can be developed into a standalone brand, in and of itself.

Keyword-brandabe type names- that employ a generic keyword (usually a noun) and a branding adjective of some kind- are the most difficult to speculate on, but assuming you have that intelligence type, you know them when you see them and they can pay off handsomely. They're a minefield, though, because the difference between good and bad is very finely nuanced and dumbasses will most certainly load up on garbage.

Based on the domainer-retard catastrophes we've witnessed recently in disasters like "3d", a tiny minority of this group would be capable of speculating on these types of domains successfully without just flushing cash down the toilet, one fantasy at a time.

Last edited:
•••
There are no issues .......just a basic poll regardless of what my experiences are, happy to read all about this subject

I am seeking opinions about possible new and changing directions and the introduction of 'word search'

Last edited:
•••
From Domainers perspective, the problem with made up brandables like Google, Yahoo, etc, is that you never know what is going to be the next "Google" or "Twitter". So basically you have to register hundreds of thousands of 4, 5 , 6 , 7 letter catchy domains in the hope that some day someone will want one of these for a huge project amd is willing to pay xxx.xxx dollars for it AND is not going to change his mind and register an alternative domain for 8 Dollars.

I personally like these type of domains and have some in my Portfolio, but i also know exactly that i need pure luck to be able to sell a 5 Letter name for good amount of money. Lets assume i have Kitar.com. I need to wait for someone who wants and needs this exact domain , plus he is not going to change his mind and register kizar.com (just an example) for 8 dollars if i should be too expensive.

With generic brands like "Hotel.com", you simply have a lot of advantages if you own such names. Much more chance to sell it to all different kind of buyers.

But since the average domainer is not going to own Hotels.com, there is no need to dream about it.

•••
I think short phrases will perhaps become more common via voice search on mobiles

Agree the 'short catchy' names are a lotto

•••
Received a newsletter today with 'whatmorecanisay'/com for sale $75

perhaps a good example of what i was refering to in regards to brandables changing

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back