Domain Empire

.biz Are .biz domains any good?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
budgetname said:
With "business" being one of the number one keywords on the planet. Do you think its likely they will bring out another similar extension for business? :)

They already have, .BIZ (Business) is a direct offshoot from .COM (Commerce). The term 'commerce' is very dated, 'business' makes more sense in today's business semantic structure.

They could have used the same first 3 letter truncation used by .COM, but I think .BUS was rejected as looking weird.

'BIZ' by the way is very common vernacular with today's professional business community if you don't already know.

•••
Gotta say I agree, .bus looks and sounds wrong :laugh:

Too many names, too many extentions, not enough money :p

•••
Fkrule said:
i think info will be bigger than biz

.INFO is definitely more versatile if that's not what you want your company website to be referred to. Yes, .BIZ is inherently specific, and particularly appropriate for B2B use. Let the kids have their .COM.

mellowmasher said:
Gotta say I agree, .bus looks and sounds wrong

I'm sure they considered .BS, but that stank too. :p

•••
why not have bis instead of biz

•••
Fkrule said:
why not have bis instead of biz

Because it looks too much like .piss? But then again, .COM sound like .cum :|

•••
mole said:

I will never look at a .com in the same light again :hehe:

•••
mole said:

Or .con (as in Con-man)...I've typo'ed it that way more than a few times.

budgetname said:
Hi Mole,

With "business" being one of the number one keywords on the planet. Do you think its likely they will bring out another similar extension for business? :)

I don't think another one is needed, but if proposed, I think something more specific like .shop, .store, .sales, or .Inc could find approval.

•••
what about .ltd being a domain

•••
they would be a good limited comany one.

•••
Good blog entry from www.mister.us

Proof there is Life Beyond .com
Wednesday, August 03, 2005 posted by got.us

Now here's some proof that companies could really careless if the .com name is taken and choose different extensions ,in this case icapital goes with .BIZ ,what come again a company thats going to be listed on the stockexchange with a market cap of 140 million and could easily buy the name in .com extension particularly where the .com its not even a site but parked ppc page choses .BIZ over .com ?? Just more proof the once king of the internet .com is slowly losing its grip. With more then a dozen new extensions in the pipeline folks finally have some choices besides .com. It's no wonder the once luster of gold and royalties in .com is now tarnished. Companies like icapital.biz going for different extensions are setting themselves apart from just another typical .com site.

And for the argument your just sending traffic to the .com site the competitor,well don;t people shop at different competing stores all day long looking
for the best buys ,should the internet be any different? To think you'll capture 100% of traffic even for a .com is fool hardly. With the millions of ordinary names attached to .com chosing a meaningfull extension which identifies with your industry will make all the difference in an ordinary enviroment.

•••
Interest-specific or site-specific domains would be neat. ex .cars, .trains, .porcelain, .shop, .store, .pc, .mac

•••
There could be a great future for .biz IMHO

I already regged a few domains ( ps. we also use it for our company site www.evibe.biz )

•••
they're decent - better than .bz!

•••
equity78 said:
Companies like icapital.biz going for different extensions are setting themselves apart from just another typical .com site.

Thanks for reminding us on that point, ty. One of the reasons why some businesses are adopting .BIZ is that it helps sets them apart and provides a clear naming differentiation from the .COMmon riff raff.

Two key reasons;

1. .COM reminds of the irresponsible dotcom boom era, and the massive failures and lost money in that period. .BIZ comes with no baggage.

2. .BIZ is an officially santuated extension by ICANN to mean Business, its a blue-blooded extension, no pretences, no made up meaning. If you are a B2B, the name makes a perfect fit.

Some domainers are just too hung up on the so-called 'curious type-in' .COM-centric model. A name also projects brand meaning. A name tells the visitor what the business stands for.

•••
.biz is like any other extension besides .com...good in that it provides an alternatice to .com, bad in that no one's likely to remember to type in .biz instead of .com, at least not for quite a while. I for one wish non .com extensions would gain more strength, and I'm not just saying that because about half my port is non .com either!

•••
Crooky said:
.biz is like any other extension besides .com...good in that it provides an alternatice to .com, bad in that no one's likely to remember to type in .biz instead of .com, at least not for quite a while. I for one wish non .com extensions would gain more strength, and I'm not just saying that because about half my port is non .com either!

Think you got something there :bingo:

People DO and WILL for a long time type in .com ;)

Even the obvious stars names .biz are still up for reg??

•••
Where does Huston go when Nasa has a problem ?

•••
pratiknaik said:
Where does Huston go when Nasa has a problem ?

I for one now go to .co.uk :hehe:

•••
•••
In my opinion they are npt good, only com!

•••
•••
cool, why would they go to dot com, they commercial, solol why not us??

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back