NameSilo

advice Are all big US cities in .com worth a lot?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I have begun to purchase a large US city name in .com at a price of mid five figures in installments. But I am wondering if it is indeed a good price or not really.

The city is in the top 50 in the US in terms of population, but not really known for business or tourism it seems.

Does anyone know if any major US city would be a good deal at mid five figures, or only the top 10 or 20?

Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have begun to purchase a large US city name in .com at a price of mid five figures in installments. But I am wondering if it is indeed a good price or not really.

The city is in the top 50 in the US in terms of population, but not really known for business or tourism it seems.

Does anyone know if any major US city would be a good deal at mid five figures, or only the top 10 or 20?

Thank you.
I think it can definitely be a great deal especially if that city's name is used for other geos/companies as well which would expand your buyer base.

•••
I think it can definitely be a great deal especially if that city's name is used for other geos/companies as well which would expand your buyer base.
Thanks. I just realized you can do a search for Geo and then Cities at Namebio, but the results included a lot of names that had nothing to do with cities.

•••
If it's not really known for business and especially tourism, which is what most pure Geo's are bought for I would of thought then who would be your ideal end user?

Most City + Geo domains sell way below mid 5 figures - probably ruling out a lot of local businesses in the area

Might be worth building it out (directory, tourism site - every place is visited 🙂 put ad's on it and see if you can create some revenue) and do what Scotland.com have done and add an inquire about this domain at the top of the page

Last edited:
•••
If it's not really known for business and especially tourism, which is what most pure Geo's are bought for I would of thought then who would be your ideal end user?

Most City + Geo domains sell way below mid 5 figures - probably ruling out a lot of local businesses in the area

Might be worth building it out (directory, tourism site - every place is visited 🙂 put ad's on it and see if you can create some revenue) and do what Scotland.com have done and add an inquire about this domain at the top of the page
Thanks. It seems to be famous for a low tech sector, but since the domain is still in a payment plan and thus not mine yet, I can't get into details.

Maybe I need to actually work hard and develop it!

•••

Thank you.
Short answer IMO - Yes.

If cities have more going on, they can be worth far more but mid $XX,XXX for a top 50 city is very reasonable.

One caveat is when it comes to primary metro vs suburb.... Is the city a metro area or more of a suburb of a larger city?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Short answer IMO - Yes.

If cities have more going on, they can be worth far more but mid $XX,XXX for a top 50 city is very reasonable.

One caveat is when it comes to primary metro vs suburb.... Is the city a metro area or more of a suburb of a larger city?

Brad
Thanks, Brad.

It is a metro area and also the name of the county. I am not from the US, but had certainly heard about the city. I will be happy to reveal then name when I (hopefully) manage to pay all installments.

•••
Thanks, Brad.

It is a metro area and also the name of the county. I am not from the US, but had certainly heard about the city. I will be happy to reveal then name when I (hopefully) manage to pay all installments.
Population is not everything, but being a metro area does help.

You often have cities with high populations that are more suburbs of the main metro.
Those would be worth less IMO, unless they have something unique going on.

Population can also be deceptive, for instance on paper Boston only has about 700K people in the city but the metro area itself is over 5M.

You also have small specialized areas that would be worth a fortune like Beverly Hills, Aspen, Greenwich, etc.

Brad

•••
Population is not everything, but being a metro area does help.

You often have cities with high populations that are more suburbs of the main metro.
Those would be worth less IMO, unless they have something unique going on.

Population can also be deceptive, for instance on paper Boston only has about 700K people in the city but the metro area itself is over 5M.

You also have small specialized areas that would be worth a fortune like Beverly Hills, Aspen, Greenwich, etc.

Brad
Yes, I totally agree. We saw it with the tiny Italian fishing village portofino.com that just expired and went for a lot because it is famous.

•••
Yes, I totally agree. We saw it with the tiny Italian fishing village portofino.com that just expired and went for a lot because it is famous.
Yeah, that is one with a specialized use. It is not just a GEO.

I would say the main value in that is probably as a brand. If you go to any major city you are going to find an Italian restaurant called "Portofino". There is one less than (5) miles from where I live.

I assume there are hundreds in the US alone, never mind in the rest of the world.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
As an investment, it is ok, because you could sell it for 4x to 10x but it could take decades.

As a development opportunity, it is great. You could definitely put some content on it and make 5k to 20k a year spending minimum time with it.

•••
As an investment, it is ok, because you could sell it for 4x to 10x but it could take decades.

As a development opportunity, it is great. You could definitely put some content on it and make 5k to 20k a year spending minimum time with it.
Yes, I think development is the way to go.

•••
Geos are great, I like them very much. I own Killeen_com which isn't of course a top 50, but still a mid sized city. They fetch good money, but get ready to wait as they're not easy-selling domains.
As for potential buyers, aside tourism operators, they certainly include real estate companies and agents.

Last edited:
•••
Geos are great, I like them very much. I own Killeen_com which isn't of course a top 50, but still a mid sized city. They fetch good money, but get ready to wait as they're not easy-selling domains.
As for potential buyers, aside tourism operators, they certainly include real estate companies and agents.
That's a very nice Geo domain.

Last edited:
•••
That is a nice one. But yes, I think you are right that they are not easy to sell unless they are also a brand such as portofino.com mentioned earlier.

•••
That is a nice one. But yes, I think you are right that they are not easy to sell unless they are also a brand such as portofino.com mentioned earlier.
Agreed, as an Italian I can confirm Portofino is a very popular geo brand, in the same league as Capri.

Last edited:
•••
I have Braunschweig.com a German city of 250k people (Brunswick) . The .de version is owned by the city itself.

•••

Thank you.
What's the approximate size of the city's metropolitan area?

•••
What's the approximate size of the city's metropolitan area?
I might as well reveal the name soon :giggle: It is about 500,000.

•••
•••
•••
i think its Baltimore because of Baltimore County, but i could be wrong. Nice name if you have that one.

•••
i think its Baltimore because of Baltimore County, but i could be wrong. Nice name if you have that one.
It's not, but it would be nice (and probably better) to own that one.

•••
It's not, but it would be nice (and probably better) to own that one.
Man, if it was a city like Baltimore that would be the steal of a lifetime for mid $xx,xxx.

Brad

•••
Man, if it was a city like Baltimore that would be the steal of a lifetime for mid $xx,xxx.

Brad
Great for ammo affiliate program

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back