IT.COM

domain applewriter.com

NameSilo
Watch

plow76

Impact
I'm brand new here and would appreciate thoughts on the domain name in the title. Also urania.ca

Thanks in advance!

P.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
No, *tumbleweeds* included :) lol

I think the domain is pretty good...
- name of an older apple word processor
- high branding potential, could be the name for a new "writer".

Urania.ca - meh, not seeing anything here.

Last edited:
•••
No, *tumbleweeds* included :) lol

I think the domain is pretty good...
- name of an older apple word processor
- high branding potential, could be the name for a new "writer".

Urania.ca - meh, not seeing anything here.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate. I'll put Christmas lights on the tumbleweed and find a nice spot to display it. :-P
I inherited the domains from my late father who planned to use them at some point. One for all things Apple (he was a devotee from the early 80's), and one for astronomy related stuff I believe. I've held them for 6 years until deciding what to do and selling them seems the best route at the moment.

I'm a total noob at selling domains so I'm trying to learn how and make sure I get a price that is fair. Of course I fear that Apple will come along a take the one from me and accuse me of squatting or something stupid like that.:guilty:

•••
I'm not saying there's a definite issue, but you have to be careful with that word. Just saying :)

•••
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate. I'll put Christmas lights on the tumbleweed and find a nice spot to display it. :-P
I inherited the domains from my late father who planned to use them at some point. One for all things Apple (he was a devotee from the early 80's), and one for astronomy related stuff I believe. I've held them for 6 years until deciding what to do and selling them seems the best route at the moment.

I'm a total noob at selling domains so I'm trying to learn how and make sure I get a price that is fair. Of course I fear that Apple will come along a take the one from me and accuse me of squatting or something stupid like that.:guilty:

First, Sorry for your loss.
Second, Welcome to NamePros.
Third, That would be the natural response from any company that someone is trying to earn off of their Mark and would not be considered "stupid".

If you would like to see why applewriter would be a TM violation, search the legal forum located here:
https://www.namepros.com/forums/legal-discussion.229/

If you would really like to learn about domains, we have many resources that are designed to help you get started:

Domain Name Discussions is the most popular place in the entire industry to discuss domains with domainers and ask questions.

Additionally, the following guides will help you navigate the marketplace to sell your domains:
  • The Marketplace Guide will help you with listing your domains for sale on NamePros.
  • The Domain Name Listing Guide will help explain the different sections on NamePros for domain sales and how to use them.
  • The Auction Guide will help walk you through starting an auction on NamePros.
Last but not least, please check out our brief welcome guide that shows you all the great resources we have on NamePros:

NamePros Resources Guide

Please feel free to contact us anytime if you need anything. I'm always happy to help and answer any questions that you may have.

I look forward to seeing you around!

Peace,
Kenny

•••
Thanks very much for your reply, Kenny. I will look at all the information you provided to help me get grounded.

•••
And I'm not sure if the list I read was an exhaustive list of their trademarks, but it appears they do not have a trademark on Apple Writer or applewriter.

•••

Haha! Ain't that a sight... christmas lights on tumbleweeds! Lol, if it works, it works!

Your inheritance sounds L.E.G.I.T.

•••
Bump. Would appreciate some other folks' opinions.

•••
And I'm not sure if the list I read was an exhaustive list of their trademarks, but it appears they do not have a trademark on Apple Writer or applewriter.
Ok, lets see if we can get someone to explain this better than I can..
@jberryhill

Peace,
Kenny

•••
Ok, lets see if we can get someone to explain this better than I can..

I think your explanation is fine.

Of course I fear that Apple will come along a take the one from me and accuse me of squatting or something stupid like that.

Sure. I mean, who could imagine the stupidity of a company having a multi-billion dollar market in, among other things, software for writing, being at all concerned that someone might use a name that incorporates (their trademark + one of the things their product is used for) being used for a misleading purpose.

I should probably point out that is intended as sarcasm.

high branding potential, could be the name for a new "writer".

Unless it's made of apples, then there is ZERO branding potential here, because there is already a well-known publisher of word processing software.

I mean sure, if your name is "Apple" and you are a writer, then maybe it makes sense. If you are a expert in managing orchards and want to publish your extensive works on apples, that would be fine.

But this nonsense of:

"...but it appears they do not have a trademark on Apple Writer or applewriter"

is perhaps the most common and frankly bizarre themes on this forum.

Look. Budweiser doesn't need to register trademarks for "BudweiserBeer", "BudweiserBeverages", "BudweiserBrew", "DrinkBudweiser" and every other combination of their mark plus what it is, or what it is used for. It is quite obvious that one of Apple's key market segments is writers or people engaged in writing.

•••
I think your explanation is fine.

Sure. I mean, who could imagine the stupidity of a company having a multi-billion dollar market in, among other things, software for writing, being at all concerned that someone might use a name that incorporates (their trademark + one of the things their product is used for) being used for a misleading purpose.

I should probably point out that is intended as sarcasm.

Unless it's made of apples, then there is ZERO branding potential here, because there is already a well-known publisher of word processing software.

I mean sure, if your name is "Apple" and you are a writer, then maybe it makes sense. If you are a expert in managing orchards and want to publish your extensive works on apples, that would be fine.

But this nonsense of:

"...but it appears they do not have a trademark on Apple Writer or applewriter"

is perhaps the most common and frankly bizarre themes on this forum.

Look. Budweiser doesn't need to register trademarks for "BudweiserBeer", "BudweiserBeverages", "BudweiserBrew", "DrinkBudweiser" and every other combination of their mark plus what it is, or what it is used for. It is quite obvious that one of Apple's key market segments is writers or people engaged in writing.
lol...your humor made me chuckle.

Welcome to the forum @plow76 , sounds like you're on the right track finding answers to your questions about your inherited domains. Best of luck!

•••
Last edited:
•••
Out of curiosity, how do these businesses avoid TM? ...

Apple Childcare Vouchers

www.applechildcarevouchers.co.uk/

Apple School Early Childhood Educational Center
www.appleschoolecec.com/

Apple Child Care Center: Welcome
https://www.applechildcare.org/

Apple Museum
www.applemuseum.com/

The Apple House - Restaurant in Linden VA
www.theapplehouse.net/

Because Apple (mac) don't own the word Apple. Although you have to be very careful, and the word "writer" does slightly fall into the realm which Apple (mac) trade in, people can use that word.
"childcare" and the others are not techy, and their goods and services are not related to Apple (mac) or the set of commercial enterprises Apple (mac) have.

Maybe they have their own trademarks and the definitions in their trademarks will identify they are not related to Apple (mac), so all is ok.

•••
T
Because Apple (mac) don't own the word Apple. Although you have to be very careful, and the word "writer" does slightly fall into the realm which Apple (mac) trade in, people can use that word.
"childcare" and the others are not techy, and their goods and services are not related to Apple (mac) or the set of commercial enterprises Apple (mac) have.

Maybe they have their own trademarks and the definitions in their trademarks will identify they are not related to Apple (mac), so all is ok.
They do not appear to have their own trademarks.

•••
Well they don't need them, tho I think I would if I were using such a word just to protect my business.

•••
Reason I mentioned is that I have one with that word and was curious. Will probably let it drop. I have that word + voucher .com.

•••
Would appreciate some other folks' opinions.

You got some good advice above...let it drop unless you have invented an ink pen that looks like an apple or a device that when applied to paper and moves creates little apple designs.

Don't feel bad about letting it go, I too had a bunch of names that seemed too good to be true when I regged them only to learn why when I got my one and only email from a trademark owner.

Had to watch the names slowly expire but it was just one of the lessons learned along the way.

BTW, Welcome to nps and best wishes!

•••
Out of curiosity, how do these businesses avoid TM?

You want five non-infringement opinions? Gee, if only there was some way to earn a living doing that sort of thing.

Let's take two examples....

The Apple House - Restaurant in Linden VA
www.theapplehouse.net/

Do you think "Celebrating 50 years" on their home page might be an important clue?

That's a "nominative use" and I'm not familiar with Czech law on that topic. Aside from which, they seem to have been around for less than two years, and questions like "How can (some other person) do something?" is often a matter of "they haven't gotten nailed for it yet".

It's like asking "can I drive 60 mph in a 55 mph zone". Well, of course you can. Millions of people do it all of the time. That observation is not relevant when you've been pulled over for it.

But running a non-profit museum about Apple (and in the course thereof using "Apple" to identify what the museum is about) is very different from looking to sell a domain name which is currently zero-click monetized on downloading malware.

In your "voucher" example, that domain name currently goes to an "under construction" page with three - count 'em three - pictures of Apple products on it. What likely assumption would anyone make in relation to the intentions of someone who registers a domain name which (a) contains "Apple" and (b) resolves to a page with pictures of Apple products on it? C'mon.

•••
You want five non-infringement opinions? Gee, if only there was some way to earn a living doing that sort of thing.

Let's take two examples....

Do you think "Celebrating 50 years" on their home page might be an important clue?

That's a "nominative use" and I'm not familiar with Czech law on that topic. Aside from which, they seem to have been around for less than two years, and questions like "How can (some other person) do something?" is often a matter of "they haven't gotten nailed for it yet".

It's like asking "can I drive 60 mph in a 55 mph zone". Well, of course you can. Millions of people do it all of the time. That observation is not relevant when you've been pulled over for it.

But running a non-profit museum about Apple (and in the course thereof using "Apple" to identify what the museum is about) is very different from looking to sell a domain name which is currently zero-click monetized on downloading malware.

In your "voucher" example, that domain name currently goes to an "under construction" page with three - count 'em three - pictures of Apple products on it. What likely assumption would anyone make in relation to the intentions of someone who registers a domain name which (a) contains "Apple" and (b) resolves to a page with pictures of Apple products on it? C'mon.
hmmm....thanks. It now resolves to a page.

Last edited:
•••
@plow76,

I'm hoping the information above has cleared up any confusion about the potential use of that domain name.

There is another issue at hand here that hasn't been discussed yet.
This is an industry. Registering a TM domain makes the entire industry look bad.
Trying to sell a TM name makes us look even worse.

We are all aware that there are people that can actually justify in their own minds that earning off others hard work is a business model.

Those people generally don't last long in this business, either because their lawyers fees become more expensive than their earnings, or because the community as a whole does our best to shame them out of the industry.

This is why when a new member asks "Is this OK?" we do our best to set them straight as soon as possible.

Good luck with your sale of the other domain.

Peace,
Kenny

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for your input everyone. I have to admit that I'm a little confused because I have no idea what I'm doing and had no intention of getting into domain trading/selling. I think I'm reading that I should not try selling the applewriter domain, and to just let it expire? The point being I should not be hoping to profit from owning this domain? I can understand the point of not making earnings off other peoples hard work, but the irony is that is exactly Apple's (and many other corporations') business model! lol. But that's a whole other discussion. :)
At any rate, I believe my three options are to 1) sell the domain for a nominal fee, 2) let it expire, or 3) finally get around to starting that website devoted to my love of eating apples in all their splendid variety.

Cheers,
P

•••
Thanks for your input everyone. I have to admit that I'm a little confused because I have no idea what I'm doing and had no intention of getting into domain trading/selling. I think I'm reading that I should not try selling the applewriter domain, and to just let it expire? The point being I should not be hoping to profit from owning this domain? I can understand the point of not making earnings off other peoples hard work, but the irony is that is exactly Apple's (and many other corporations') business model! lol. But that's a whole other discussion. :)
At any rate, I believe my three options are to 1) sell the domain for a nominal fee, 2) let it expire, or 3) finally get around to starting that website devoted to my love of eating apples in all their splendid variety.

Cheers,
P
Your only chance of selling them is to sell to an end user, who is probably unaware of tm laws. GoDaddy and other resellers usually wont even let you list names with “Apple” or “amazon” believe me i’ve tried lol i’m bagholding a few “Apple” “amazon” domains myself... i sold one for $10 on eBay, no luck elsewhere. I don’t even advertise them for sale anymore because really, the $10 you could make isnt worth the damage on your reputation lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back