IT.COM

.ca Anyone with some insight?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Wondering what the .ca'ers [if any here] here think about the
way things are going with our .ca?

Where are you selling them? Private sales or Auction houses?

Not that I have great names, but I've sat on some for 5+ years
and no bites, but as soon as I let it expire - poof - goes in the
auction and snapped up so it doesn't drop.

Now is that patience on their part for waiting - or impatience on my part for letting it go?

How long do you hold before deciding enough is enough?
Keeping in mind they are making enough to cover their own renewals.

I have some great one worders that in .com - would put me in a
really big house on the hill - why is the interest for the same one word
in a .ca ccTLD not as great?

Just looking for some thoughts, ideas from the seasoned few :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi Wendy,

I don't have much experience with .ca, but I'd say it's pretty tough to compare it to .com. I think with extensions like .ca, which are not so ubiquitous, you'd have to be incredibly proactive to possible end-users in Canada. There are some extensions that are not really sit and wait extensions. .ca is one of them, IMO. There are a few ccTLDs that are not, like .de, .co, .tv. For various reasons. I think reaching out to possible Canadian end-users would be a good idea.

•••
Thanks for the response, I know with the strict residency requirements it makes
it a tougher sell.

Sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like I was comparing it to .com
I saw that light many years ago LOL

Was just curious why the same word .com, wouldn't be scooped up by the ones who "could" reg it
in the .ca?
Like the "keyword/s" that are valuable in any TLD or ccTLD

•••
Hello,

For my opinion,ccTLD extensions aren't worth much more than potential gTLD extensions(com/net/org)unless there's not a really good combination or any special reason.

So as emjohn's typing,you should try to reach Canadian end-users or foreign companies that are thinking to expand their business on worldwide including Canada.

Don't forget as .ca registration has still some restrictions by CIRA.
In order to be able to register .ca domain name,you should be related with Canada country.

I want to give an example of good combinations:

eroti.ca

angeli.ca

repli.ca

etc..

Thanks.

•••
My first landrush was .ca so that was a decade ago :)
I did a few okay sales but overall I was expecting better things.
I have to say the market sucks, and the restrictions are not helping either.

My belief is that Canadians just don't want to pay fair price for good domains. Tight wallets. Maybe it's a cultural thing :hehe:

.ca domains are nice to develop but difficult to sell.
I dabble in quite a few ccTLDs and I'm almost out of .ca. Even though the market is limited the top keywords will always be in demand. But there isn't a lot of room for the second-tier domains, and everything under :)

•••
hmm, I'm not looking for domains cyc, and those are hacks anyway
I wouldn't buy them for any reason. [not what I'm talking about] ;)

I'm also Canadian so that's not a concern.

Thanks for the response. :)

@sdsinc

When I started out I had some really great sales for my .ca's, but last two years or so
it's been pretty slow and when I let them expire, they get picked up in auction/BO LOL

Are we that shy we can't send an email and Make an Offer? hehe
Deep wallets and short arms - I would have to agree :tu:

Last edited:
•••
I know you're Canadian and didn't mention that for you.

Lots of people around the world still can't be able to register or hold .ca domain names because of the legal conditions,so this is one of the reasons which prevents it's population.

-Why Canadians are less interested in this extension?
-I have no idea.

Thanks.

•••
They do great though . Look at Hab.ca
First page in google dot ca. And I still need to update site.

•••
I think .ca domains have great potential.

•••
I too have never sold a .ca and recently started dropping names that I have held onto for over 8 years that don't turn a profit. The .ca's that I have developed do very well just don't have the time to make them all turn a profit.

I have even sold a couple of .us's lol

Just don't get why .ca's are not more sought after.

•••
I have stopped Regging .ca for re-sale, I am only registering .ca for my own development. I still see value. As I am Canadian I should and will develop toward Marketing in my home country. With development my .ca's will be desirable to others.

As for re-sale there are just too many possible and usable Combinations still available. But they are being taken in A hurry. "The Time Will Come For .CA's!"

Last edited:
•••
How long do you hold before deciding enough is enough?
Keeping in mind they are making enough to cover their own renewals.

Well if they pay for themselves you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by keeping them.

Generally people say cc domains have an seo advantage in their own market or language - people certainly believe that with .co.uk and pay for it. Do Canadians buy a lot of ecommerce stuff in their own market, or do they buy a lot from the US?

If you develop names so they show they can do well in search results, maybe monetise ebay and amazon.ca, and if endusers learn the domestic advantage in .ca I think you could have something to be optimistic about.

But domaining is unpredictable and risky, that's why many of us are here I'd bet.

•••
I brought one LLL.ca few weeks ago in the auction for $xx and I was surprised the domain has been registered few months ago, so as soon as no one dropped it before, how would be possible to be any LLL.ca still available to register in 2011? I would say North Americans go .com / .net /.org in the first place. Most of business owners prefer 2-3 words.com then one word .ca...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back