Dynadot

Anyone else sell at GoDaddy auctions & having trouble getting paid?

NameSilo
Watch
I'm beginning to wonder if Godaddy is financially stable. They are now in default on payment for 3 domains sold on their platform 6 weeks ago, with payment cleared 5 weeks ago and transfer completed at least 3 weeks ago.

This has happened before, and when I complained the excuse has essentially been "we forgot".

Anyone else seeing this? This "gee we keep forgetting to pay our payables" is often the type of thing you see before a bankruptcy filing.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So I'm the only domainer selling at Godaddy??

•••
I'm selling regularly on their marketplace. My domains are listed with Buy Now, so when 'authorization period' ends and funds are cleared, which is normally on the sixth day from the day domain has sold, they automatically transfer the domain to the buyer and disburse the funds to me on next business day. In only one occasion so far it happened that automatic transfer failed so I was notified I have to transfer the domain manually to my buyer. Instead of notification 'You will be paid in next 1-2 business days' which is a normal practice when automatic transfer works I've got 'You will be paid in approximately in 15 days'.

I guess, in offer/counter offer auctions, they handle it differently because they have to do additional check if the domain has transferred to the buyer so they can send you the funds.

Hope my experience with them helps. I'm also interested in hearing what type of listings you sell and what is the payee method you use. Also where are you from, because I think that also plays a part in how they pay people selling there.

•••
Hm... doesn't happen to me.

Actually - once I was paid before transfering the domain to the buyer.

•••
Sold two domains last week in a total of 200$ and had no issue with the payment nor the transfer..

•••
Thanks for the comments. I've only had success with the 7 day auctions, and after waiting for their ridiculous 7 days to clear payment, I send the transfer info the same day. Funny how it only takes a couple of seconds to clear payment when I'm the one paying, eh?

We're now into week 6 with about $2,000 owed and past due, time for a nasty note....

•••
Generally they pay between 7-15 days after conclusion of sale and buyer payment.

•••
•••
If it has been six weeks there is certainly a problem, I would reach out to support so they can track the payment for you.

•••
If it has been six weeks there is certainly a problem, I would reach out to support so they can track the payment for you.

Thanks Joe. Godaddy is currently delinquent on 3 payments, and have recently paid 2 that were delinquent.

Again, this is the typical behavior of a company in trouble. Are you aware of any other company obligations that Godaddy has been unable to pay? Have paychecks and such been paid on a timely basis?

Thanks!

•••
I had a similar issue with GD auctions and getting paid. It turns out that your payment won't be made if you don't pick the correct PayPal profile when listing a domain for auction.
*I had to call godaddy to get the issue resolved.

•••
I had a similar issue with GD auctions and getting paid. It turns out that your payment won't be made if you don't pick the correct PayPal profile when listing a domain for auction.
*I had to call godaddy to get the issue resolved.

I only have one business PayPal account and it's had no problems in 15 years, so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue here, but that's good to know.

•••
Thanks Joe. Godaddy is currently delinquent on 3 payments, and have recently paid 2 that were delinquent.

Again, this is the typical behavior of a company in trouble. Are you aware of any other company obligations that Godaddy has been unable to pay? Have paychecks and such been paid on a timely basis?

Thanks!
Sounds more like an issue with you payment choice or profile to me but that's something support will need to look into for you. We routinely pay people for sales on time every day, as most people posting on the thread have pointed out. We are a public company so our numbers are available to anyone :)

•••
Do ya job :)

•••
Sounds more like an issue with you payment choice or profile to me but that's something support will need to look into for you. We routinely pay people for sales on time every day, as most people posting on the thread have pointed out. We are a public company so our numbers are available to anyone :)

Last month when this happened they had no valid excuse, they agreed it was late and paid me. But I have 3 more sales just completed, and I will NOT be transferring those domains if Godaddy is entering bankruptcy.

And yes, public companies go bankrupt all of the time. The published numbers usually hide fraud and other issues -- the only REAL numbers are whether the company is keeping up with accounts payable, and Godaddy has established a pattern of failing to do so. That should concern everyone who does any business with them.

•••
Just got a reply from Godaddy:

======
Thank you for contacting Aftermarket support. Your payments due in mid and late February had been held awaiting delivery of those domains, as we can confirm that those domains have been delivered we will release those funds. Payments should post in 1-2 business days.
=====
My response:
=====

Sorry, but that makes no sense whatsoever.

I have accessed the transfer reports and these domains transfers began 4 weeks ago, and all were completed 3 weeks ago. How is it possible that GODADDY does not know what domains have been transferred to GODADDY???

•••
This is precisely the kind of nonsense excuses you always see from companies entering bankruptcy, BTW.

•••
@WebInceptions

You first say you won't be transferring those 3 domains and now you say the transfers have been completed.

I guess I was right when wrote my post above. They are not releasing the payment because of the listing type.

•••
@WebInceptions

You first say you won't be transferring those 3 domains and now you say the transfers have been completed.

I guess I was right when wrote my post above. They are not releasing the payment because of the listing type.

No, the 3 sales I mentioned just finished this week. The unpaid sales are from JANUARY.

•••
That is strange then. What payee method did you choose and what country you live in?

I'm asking because I sell regularly with them and don't want to find myself in that kind of situation.

•••
That is strange then. What payee method did you choose and what country you live in?

I'm asking because I sell regularly with them and don't want to find myself in that kind of situation.

Paypal, USA. Both my Godaddy and PayPal accounts are over 15 years old.

•••
Godaddy response (they are quick today!):
======

Thank you for contacting AfterMarket Support. Under the provisions of the Auctions Membership Agreement, Section 4. Provisions Specific To Selling/Listing Domain Names, it states, "If the domain name sold is registered with GoDaddy and eligible for transfer from Seller to Buyer via GoDaddy’s change of account (“COA”) process, GoDaddy will initiate the payment of proceeds approximately five (5) days after receipt of Buyer’s funds. If the domain name sold is not registered with GoDaddy, GoDaddy will initiate the payment of proceeds approximately twenty (20) days after receipt of Buyer’s funds." When there are anomalies in the movement of the domain to a Buyer, the funds are put on hold for security purposes.

=====
My response:
=====

Correct. And it’s been 21 days, 26 days, and 28 days past the date that Godaddy CLEARED buyer funds.

Still waiting to hear why Godaddy is delinquent on payments and is violation of our contract on all 3 items… for the 2nd time this year?

•••
And now Kyle at Godaddy decides to slander me with a FAKE EXCUSE about "hesitation":
===============

Thank you for contacting Aftermarket support. Funds having been placed on hold pending delivery of a domain is a manual process typically due to a buyer contacting us because they have not received a domain yet or a seller indicating hesitancy to deliver a domain. The domain actually moving does not automatically release the hold. Unfortunately these are sometimes not addressed until the seller reaches out looking for the payment.

These payments are not in violation of our agreement.

The terms of service you have agreed to states:

You acknowledge and agree that if you engage in a transaction with an auction selling price or a Domain Buy Service transaction of less than five thousand dollars ($5,000.00), your transaction will be handled by GoDaddy’s “Transaction Assurance” process. GoDaddy will remit payment of the purchase price, less the applicable commission and fees, to the Seller approximately 20 days after receiving funds from the Buyer, except in the event of a dispute or where the payment is suspected to be fraudulent. By using GoDaddy’s “Transaction Assurance” process, you authorize GoDaddy to perform tasks on your behalf in order to complete the transaction. GoDaddy will not use your funds for its operating expenses or any other corporate purposes, and will not voluntarily make funds available to its creditors in the event of bankruptcy or for any other purpose. You acknowledge and agree that GoDaddy is not a bank, and the “Transaction Assurance” process is a payment processing service rather than a banking service. You further acknowledge and agree that GoDaddy is not acting as a trustee, fiduciary, or escrow agent with respect to your funds.

Please reach out to us if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Kyle H
Aftermarket Support

=====
My response:
=====

So let’s lay out your accusations here on these THREE transactions, Kyle:

1) Despite the fact that I provided all transfer codes the SAME DAY as requested, you claim Buyer #1 filed a complaint about me that my same day delivery was “hesitant”.

2) Despite the fact that I provided all transfer codes the SAME DAY as requested, you claim Buyer #2 (who has a different buyer ID than Buyer #1) filed a complaint about me that my same day delivery was “hesitant”.

3) Despite the fact that I provided all transfer codes the SAME DAY as requested, you claim Buyer #3 (who has a different buyer ID than Buyer #1 and Buyer #2) filed a complaint about me that my same day delivery was “hesitant”.

4) Godaddy kept secret all 3 “complaints”, refusing to help each of the 3 buyers and refusing to notify the seller.

5) Enom.com is apparently LYING then they show each of these domains being transferred TO GODADDY AS SCHEDULED

6) Every WHOIS server shows that the domains are currently in GODDAY’S REGISTRY, and have been there since the transfer from enom.

Kyle, that quite a load of slander you’ve thrown at me, and I’m calling you out. I demand to see all 3 of these “complaints” from buyers that you are using to HOLD MY PAYMENT INDEFINITELY, WHILE YOU ARE IN POSSESSION OF THE DOMAINS!

I want the name and phone number of the person who is in charge of Godaddy auctions.

•••
@Joe Styler - The incompetence at Godaddy is completely out of hand. What is the name of the person in charge of auctions at Godaddy, and what is "Kyle"'s last name?

•••
I can have someone reach out to you about this.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back