NameSilo

question Anyone bought a hand registered domain and sold it for 6 7 figures?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

inspiredme

Established Member
Impact
Anyone bought a hand registered domain and sold it for 6 7 figures?

I know it’s probably happened years ago but do you think it possible.

I think it’s still possible as new valuable terminologies are always coming out.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, every .COM was hand registered (or assigned for free if old enough) at some point, so the answer is yes.

I am assuming you mean in recent times. The only way it is likely to happen is owning a term that becomes a major term in a new field. You probably literally have better chances of winning the lottery than this happening with a modern day hand reg.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Can i ask why it is wildly unrealistic?

Someone said if it can sell for $10,000 it can sell for $50,000 and if it can sell for $50,000 it can sell for $100,000 and if it can sell for $100,000 it can sell for 1 mill, these wernt my words these were a domain investors words who has successfully sold mult million dollar domain names. Im not sure why its unrealistic if Vacationrentals.com sold for $35 million which is nowehere near only 2 million.

What makes it worth only $20,000 and not more?? the only answer to that is what the customer values it at. also just because they sold for 20k doesnt mean they couldnt have possibly got more for it...

thats my own thoughts anyway....
Well, if you can sell it for 2 million why not 10 million or a billion?

You are just throwing out wild numbers with nothing to back it up.

You are talking about a project like a decade off, in a foreign country. Any objective observation would find "Vegas" is more valuable. .COM is popular in the US and English is the primary language.

There are many competing formats in the field like Tours, Travel, Visit(location), other extensions, foreign language, etc.

This type of format does not sell for anywhere close to the prices you are mentioning, even in far better GEO locations.

If you had Amaala.com you could make an argument that one day it is potentially worth some high amount, but this format is a much lesser one than an exact GEO.com that does have examples of sales like that.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Pretty much what @bmugford pointed out

NFT Market dot com was nothing 10 years ago. As of today, different. A close eye on strong / upcoming trends is always a good play. The downside: You're competing with people who are just as keen as you, who may act on things just as fast, when it comes to trying to strike gold with a strong / upcoming trend as mentioned

•••
Amaala Tourism dot com is one. i dont think, i know
Mmm, a luxury tourist spot in the Middle East. Well, best of luck with that. Having a domain like "Dubai Travel dot com" or "Dubai Tourism dot com", really wouldn't consider that a 7 figure domain...more like XX,XXX potential. Also, I'd consider the likes of "Dubai" stronger than "Amaala", even if things developed. Regardless, hope you catch a bid

•••
99% of my domains are hand reg and selling pretty good.

•••
Sorry, but this format of domain doesn't sell for "millions". That is just wishful thinking.

There have only been (2) reported .COM sales in this format for (5) figures ever.

Vegas - $20K
France - $20K

There are also terms like tours, travel, etc.

It might be a solid domain, but your price expectations are wildly unrealistic.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
What are the domains that you've got, that you think will be valuable in time? Out of curiosity

Last edited:
•••
I may be new, but for me, I think it's possible.

Like how jhm mentioned NFTs, if there is a new trend to invest in, then domains could be one of the first things to look into if you have the interest.

I didn't even have to look hard to find the perfect example...

e0314b14380e91517bad1b75494f3da0.png

575292f23c0a56f6200e0f2158dd2fc7.png

•••
Anyone bought a hand registered domain and sold it for 6 7 figures?

I know it’s probably happened years ago but do you think it possible.

I think it’s still possible as new valuable terminologies are always coming out.

yes I hand registered a dropped domain that sold in 2015 for at the time about $146.000 USD
but it needed 7 years for the right buyer to find it
my cost about 4.50 yer year ( .de )

so you better start today

•••
whats considered a million dollar or 2 million domain to you in the year 2022?? just curious
Generally just high quality single word .COM, LL.com, or the best of the best commercial terms in .COM (Real Estate / Car Insurance / Health Insurance / Credit Cards, etc.)

$1M+ public sales are rare. Obviously some change hands privately, but NameBio only shows 147 public sales in history of $1M+.

Brad

•••
I may be new, but for me, I think it's possible.

Like how jhm mentioned NFTs, if there is a new trend to invest in, then domains could be one of the first things to look into if you have the interest.

I didn't even have to look hard to find the perfect example...

e0314b14380e91517bad1b75494f3da0.png

575292f23c0a56f6200e0f2158dd2fc7.png
I am not sure I would really consider this a hand reg, at least in 2022.

It was a hang reg in 2020, but as far as I can tell this was one at Dropcatch auction when it dropped.

It does illustrate the point though that newer domains can still be valuable, though there is a massive gap between this price and "millions" the OP is talking about.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Nobody types in Aamala Tourism or Vegas Tourism or NewYork Tourism so right off the bat its not an exact geo match domain nor is it top tier. They type in VegasTrip VegasFlights Cheap Tickets etc.

Those are called category killers and can warrant higher prices but there is no guarantee . Just the word Aamala could be a category killer in this very small geo niche. But you don’t have that.

Trip, Travel, Visit, Tour, are all better than Tourism. This person giving you advice either something was misunderstood or they are no expert.

At the very best this name could fetch low 5 figures but to me even that is a big stretch. You said Saudis like to spend money but nobody is going to pay 6 or up figures for an ok name when there are many alternatives superior to yours and many at a similar level.

•••
Yeah, my reference was to VegasTourism.com and FranceTourism.com selling.

Any exact match GEO has good potential in .COM.

Generally GEO + terms tend to top out around low $XX,XXX unless they are the true cream of the crop.

Brad
ohh ok got you

•••
Every single sale that was sold for 6-7 figures unless resold.

•••
I think low 6 figures is probably the best case scenario for this situation. Still unlikely, I would be shocked if an obvious 6 or 7 figure domain made it to open market.

•••
yes thats whats literally happening right now, im investing in a totally new MAJOR field and i feel in fact almost know my domains are going to be worth millions all hand registered, also apparentely 90% of domains selling for millions or thousands are not even registered and are private transactions so who knows whats selling...

I believe there is still massive opportunity, I can see it but you have to research trends I think
What are the domains that you've got, that you think will be valuable in time? Out of curiosity

•••
Mmm, a luxury tourist spot in the Middle East. Well, best of luck with that. Having a domain like "Dubai Travel dot com" or "Dubai Tourism dot com", really wouldn't consider that a 7 figure domain...more like XX,XXX potential. Also, I'd consider the likes of "Dubai" stronger than "Amaala", even if things developed. Regardless, hope you catch a bid
well i guess it depends on how much the customer values it and what theyre will be willing to pay. The Saudis take pride in their projects especially the vision of 2030, which is a billion dollar vision for Saudi, something that has never been done before. and are willing to spend money, but I will see what happens. thanks :)

Last edited:
•••
LasVegas.com actually sold for 90 mill in 2005

Yeah, I am not sure what relevance LasVegas.com has to Amaala Tourism though.

LasVegas.com is one of the best GEO in existence.

That is like saying some watch sold for $5M then comparing it to a Timex. Sure, both might have some value but there is absolutely no comparison between the two.

Las Vegas + other terms have generally sold for Mid $X,XXX - Low $XX,XXX in .COM.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
lol im not comparing Amaala to Vegas, you mentioned Vegas . com which is why I mentioned Las Vegas . com sold for 90million in 2005
Yeah, my reference was to VegasTourism.com and FranceTourism.com selling.

Any exact match GEO has good potential in .COM.

Generally GEO + terms tend to top out around low $XX,XXX unless they are the true cream of the crop.

Brad

•••
99% of my domains are hand reg and selling pretty good.
Good to hear that you are able to sell most of your hand-reg domains. Can you please tell, in what range do you price them and what is the average hold time?
Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
As noted, it depends in some cases on how hand registration is defined.

metaverse in .io was created Oct 2020 and sold March 2021 for $175k.

meta in .so was created April 2021 and sold for $149k in Oct 2021.

Probably many other examples but those are two recent ones that come to mind.

Bob

•••
Discrimination at its finest. Kind of comment that should be on some of those nutcase platforms Epik hosts
Oh the irony. Saudi Arabia is one of the absolute worst countries in the world when it comes to discrimination. They use slave labor from Pakistan, Bangladesh and India (they take their passports away among other things), women live under slave-like conditions without even basic human rights, and political opposition are imprisoned and even murdered (like Jamal Khashoggi). Truly a sick country.

•••
Can i ask why it is wildly unrealistic?

Someone said if it can sell for $10,000 it can sell for $50,000 and if it can sell for $50,000 it can sell for $100,000 and if it can sell for $100,000 it can sell for 1 mill, these wernt my words these were a domain investors words who has successfully sold mult million dollar domain names. Im not sure why its unrealistic if Vacationrentals.com sold for $35 million which is nowehere near only 2 million.

What makes it worth only $20,000 and not more?? what makes a million dollar domain a millions dollar domain and a $20,000 domain for that price?? also just because they sold for 20k doesnt mean they couldnt have possibly got more for it...

thats my own thoughts anyway....
I concur with your thoughts. I haven’t learned much but I have learned that in life. Just as a CEO of a company has to be able to count on the people around him it is similar, to me, as a domain name. With a good name and the right people I believe anything is possible. A domain name is good but the people and action around it to me is what has to make it great. Otherwise it is similar to me. Many ideas and not much success yet. If anyone is interested in helping me please send me a message. I have ideas for days but not the infrastructure or a circle to help build a team.

•••
Well, every .COM was hand registered (or assigned for free if old enough) at some point, so the answer is yes.

I am assuming you mean in recent times. The only way it is likely to happen is owning a term that becomes a major term in a new field. You probably literally have better chances of winning the lottery than this happening with a modern day hand reg.

Brad
yes thats whats literally happening right now, im investing in a totally new MAJOR field and i feel in fact almost know my domains are going to be worth millions all hand registered, also apparentely 90% of domains selling for millions or thousands are not even registered and are private transactions so who knows whats selling...

I believe there is still massive opportunity, I can see it but you have to research trends I think

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back