IT.COM

discuss Another reason to dislike GoDaddy?

NameSilo
Watch

creataweb

Some Guy with Awesome Senior High School PhotoTop Member
Impact
Got an offer at GD for a name. Accepted it. Fast forward 2 weeks and still nothing from GD and no update on if the buyer paid or not. The note just said "Pending Buyer Purchase."

I contact GD to ask about it. Specifically said I was the seller and needed the status on the domain so I can re-list it elsewhere if buyer isn't paying or responding. GD responds saying a long winded statement about me buying some domain and that I need to contact the seller. Lol, are you serious? What is the minimum level of reading comprehension needed to work for GD? I sold a domain and explicitly explained that in my support email and get the total opposite back.

This is not the first time either. This has happened with Afternic as well before.

Also, why does GD not always assist in a transaction? The last name I sold there I had to do all the work myself and that included trying to contact the buyer to figure out why I wasn't being told about transferring the domain so I can get paid. So GD takes the 20% but does nothing else? Time to say NoDaddy.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GD responds saying a long winded statement about me buying some domain and that I need to contact the seller. Lol, are you serious? What is the minimum level of reading comprehension needed to work for GD? I sold a domain and explicitly explained that in my support email and get the total opposite back.
I had exactly the same WRONG response within the past couple of days to an inquiry where I am the seller, and their response is as if I was the buyer. I had to sort everything out myself with the buyer, who (surprise, surprise) turned out NOT to be me!

Really elementary stuff here folks, and not acceptable IMO.

•••
I remember one of my domain was expired but still within grace period, I wanted to transfer away the name. But the auth code, due to some reason, wasn't sent to my email. I then called godaddy, and the staff said I must renew the name first then can have the auth code.

It is one of the biggest joke in the world. They must consider me as a newbie. I said it is common sense I can transfer the name, but the godaddy staff really strongly insist that he cannot give me the auth code without the renew.

•••
Most of mine go thru smooth, no work on my part whatsoever. This is usually offers I accept. I accept the offer, they transfer it, they pay me.

Every once in awhile I get a slow payer and contact my rep about it. This was the reply from the last one:

"For xxxxxxx.com - we can ask them to cancel the transaction if you are ready to relist, or I can have them request payment again from the buyer . How would you like me to proceed on this one? They will usually wait about 30 days unless you , the seller, doesn’t want to wait."

•••
Be aware, if your domain is listed at BIN at Godaddy, Afternic allows anyone to list the domain at absurdly high BIN without verification of ownership.

"Sola" is known to run this scam... https://www.afternic.com/sholiviks (18k listed domains he does NOT own at $14k each.) @sholiviks ([email protected])

They may be trying to collect the full BIN amount only to give you the offer you already accepted. I would personally transfer the domain out of Godaddy and list it for free at Bodis with an Escrow.com BIN to avoid being swindled for the 20%, which is added on top of the price you are being shown in your account.

Last edited:
•••
Look at the godaddy website and user page, you can tell how lazy godaddy company is. Year after year, decade after decade, Godaddy UX never get improved. Functions are mixed like a mess.

Come on, godaddy is rich, why cannot it spend some money to improve the user experience?

The only reason I can find is that they don't give customer a shit. They charge customer discount club fee, and they still charge you an expensive renew fee even after you joined the club. They see customers as stupid newbies.

If I work at this company, I must quite. Garbage.

They dont see how namesilo customer services look like, they dont care how nice uniregistry UX look like. They only know themselves, the Godaddy, are the best and top of the industry. But man, my dear domainers, do you give godaddy a shit?

Holly Godaddy, holly godaady!

Last edited:
•••
we do check we have 13 million domains or so listed so it may take some time but we will find out and likely ban you from selling with GoDaddy or Afternic if they think you are doing it purposely of the owner complains etc.

In the meantime, I received an inquiry through Afternic for my "new" LLL.com......

•••
I'm not sure about that. We do manually monitor some of the high value names that are listed and I asked the guys who do it and they said we haven't had a 3L added in over 3 weeks. Maybe we have different definitions of 3L, I think LLL maybe you mean LNL or L-L etc, but eventually your name will be found in one of our audits and it is against our terms to list names you do not own. I have said this several times in the thread, it is against our terms to list names you don't own, we do check names, and it would be foolish to break our terms of service and be banned from one of the most powerful buying / selling platforms available.

I'm trying to help you. It's not me who has the problem, it's Afternic. The domain I listed is worth $500k.

I now see it has been removed. Not sure how automatic, or manual, this removal was, as a result of my posting here.

Would it have been removed if it was not a high value LLL.com and just a mere 2-word domain ? No, because you allow domains that are under privacy, without asking for owner verification.

•••
This, and logging you out after some time, while you are NOT idle (typing etc)
They are working on something to address this. :)

•••
I had this happen about 2 years ago....it stayed pending for a long time...called and they said they never got payment from the buyer and are still waiting...Final outcome is they banned the buyer and I got no money ;(

•••
Yes, they can be a challenge to deal with, hence this platform rules.

•••
Got an offer at GD for a name. Accepted it. Fast forward 2 weeks and still nothing from GD and no update on if the buyer paid or not. The note just said "Pending Buyer Purchase."

That's the downside of offers VS BIN's. If BIN, then GD would have collected the funds at the 'offer' point.

I contact GD to ask about it. Specifically said I was the seller and needed the status on the domain so I can re-list it elsewhere if buyer isn't paying or responding. GD responds saying a long winded statement about me buying some domain and that I need to contact the seller. Lol, are you serious? What is the minimum level of reading comprehension needed to work for GD? I sold a domain and explicitly explained that in my support email and get the total opposite back.

How long have you been a GD customer? I understand your frustrations, but GoDaddy is such a large company, it's a little unfair to scrutinize their first tier customer support as a whole. Not saying that your scrutiny is unnecessary, because it's certainly valid feedback, just saying GoDaddy has to balance fast response times with a large volume of support tickets / questions. Maybe you got somebody new?

That said, since you are an experienced member, you should look into getting a premier services representative is eligible. Those guys are generally pretty knowledgeable.

This is not the first time either. This has happened with Afternic as well before.

Also, why does GD not always assist in a transaction? The last name I sold there I had to do all the work myself and that included trying to contact the buyer to figure out why I wasn't being told about transferring the domain so I can get paid. So GD takes the 20% but does nothing else? Time to say NoDaddy.

Has your experience with afternic reps been better than that of godaddy reps? I assume this domain is listed through GD and not afternic?

Tagging @Joe Styler

•••
My received email seemed more like a copypasta job from someone at GD. Not particularly useful when asking specific questions and getting addressed the opposite lol.

It could be you got a not so qualified person responding. My account reps have always been great, fast replies, handle any issues. There was this one time it was late at night and I called and I got one of the basic, everyday people and they weren't that helpful. They seemed to be new and amazed at how many domains I had in my account, they said they never saw so many and I only have just over 400. Not much compared to some other domainers.

Not sure if you tried calling? And hopefully get somebody that knows more about the auction process there.

•••
If you email [email protected] it will go to the auctions team directly and they can answer you. If the domain name is registered at GoDaddy then we do the work to get it to the buyer in the vast majority of cases. Sometimes we can't but most of the time we can and do. If the domain is registered outside GoDaddy we can't automatically move it but if you list it via Afternic and have it opted in as a fast transfer name we would movie it for you and demand payment at the time. If they won the auction you can bet we already asked them to pay. If you contact auctions you can have them personally try and collect the funds. You can also cancel the transaction but we typically ask you to wait 10 days, not always. We try and do the right thing for both parties. Most sales do go through without any issues. I am sorry you are having a hard time getting paid on this one but we will be happy to look into it. You can also pm me the domain and I will let auctions know to work on it for you.

•••
I had this happen about 2 years ago....it stayed pending for a long time...called and they said they never got payment from the buyer and are still waiting...Final outcome is they banned the buyer and I got no money ;(

so i have had similar situations - I asked and GD does not ban unless they skip out on paying on a regular basis... i guess they give people a few mulligans, lol

•••
no doubt, godaddy sucks.

I have many bad experiences with godaddy.

Last edited:
•••
I don't mind waiting but at some point I need to be paid or told that I can re-list this elsewhere to avoid a possible ban on the platform for just assuming it was not being paid for ever.
GD should have informed you that after 15 days, you can contact Auctions support and request that they cancel the transaction.

•••
^Just like your avatar, I feel your pain, bro!

***btw, it's kind of interesting to me how this thread is tucked away in "The Break Room".

:cautious:

Last edited:
•••
If anyone is getting any bad information from support please pm me the domain names and I will take a look personally and see what happened to make sure it is addressed.

•••
Can you give a couple examples ? I tried several domains in this account, and the WHOIS details all point to same person.

I sent you some via PM.

Those were names he used to own after we investigated it and we worked to rectify it once it was brought to our attention in emails to support.

Thanks Joe, my domains were deleted. But this guy tracks new registrations and submits them before the real owners get a chance to do so. Before I complained, he had 26,000 domains, now he only has 18,000 domains listed.

•••
@Joe Styler why is Afternic not asking for owner verification, when the WHOIS email does not match what you have on file ? (Like Sedo does)

The way it is now, I could list a few LLL.com that I don't own for $100k BIN each and if any of them sells, I could negotiate with the real owner.

•••
Look at the godaddy website and user page, you can tell how lazy godaddy company is. Year after year, decade after decade, Godaddy UX never get improved. Functions are mixed like a mess.

Come on, godaddy is rich, why cannot it spend some money to improve the user experience?

The only reason I can find is that they don't give customer a sh*t. They charge customer discount club fee, and they still charge you an expensive renew fee even after you joined the club. They see customers as stupid newbies.

If I work at this company, I must quite. Garbage.

They dont see how namesilo customer services look like, they dont care how nice uniregistry UX look like. They only know themselves, the Godaddy, are the best and top of the industry. But man, my dear domainers, do you give godaddy a sh*t?

Holly Godaddy, holly godaady!
lol...that's funny. I think GD is okay but the way you said this made me laugh. I actually have noticed some minor issues with log out redirects, etc. Also, the way the payment gateway is setup, The system allows you to have so many paypal profiles that I can't tell which one to use. Now I just remember which one works. I need to go in and delete all the others.

Just little things, but I do think there are small improvements that could go a long way.

•••
We do check.

I don't think you do.

I just listed a LLL.com that I don't own as Make Offer. It shows in my account, and when I search on Afternic, it shows as "Make offer" over there too.

•••
lol...that's funny. I think GD is okay but the way you said this made me laugh. I actually have noticed some minor issues with log out redirects, etc. Also, the way the payment gateway is setup, The system allows you to have so many paypal profiles that I can't tell which one to use. Now I just remember which one works. I need to go in and delete all the others.

Just little things, but I do think there are small improvements that could go a long way.

Maybe what I said is funny. But in 10 years, Godaddy will out of market if they dont see this risk. They dont have enough incentive to make change and think forward.

Technology improvement, ux improvement, those are very important. Godaddy is too enjoying using traditional way to manage modern trend. Now you dont see too much conflict, but this will bring more and more problems.

Managing domain names should be more and more simply, not more and more complicated. And to make things simple is super challenging, especially to the lazy corporation like Godaddy.

•••
I have been using godaddy for 10 years, even not very long

back in 10 years ago, we all though choosing godaddy should be the only choice. Now things different. This is not a super difficult business model. now we have many other better choices

look back, I didnt see godaddy has big things too much changed. auction market still a mass, managing domains still feel uneasy, ,,almost nothing too much
We innovate all the time. Just take a look back at archive.org and see what we looked like a few years ago. We constantly roll out changes.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back