IT.COM

question Another couple of domain questions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

JohnAmibo

Established Member
Impact
When it comes to single English dictionary words, what exactly counts? Is it an entry in either the American and British dictionaries, are both required, or one of them in particular? And are newly added to dictionaries words counted?

also,

If the official spelling of a dictionary word is hyphenated, is the non-hyphenated domain still vastly preferred and likely more valuable?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When it comes to single English dictionary words, what exactly counts? Is it an entry in either the American and British dictionaries, are both required, or one of them in particular? And are newly added to dictionaries words counted?

also,

If the official spelling of a dictionary word is hyphenated, is the non-hyphenated domain still vastly preferred and likely more valuable?
Excellent questions.

From the standpoint of general commentaries on the forum, there appears to be a general preference for the singular rather than plural of a word.
As for American versus British dictionaries, one could speculate that words found in both would have more universal popularity. However, if there is a geographic niche involved, perhaps there could be an advantage to words that are more selective to the targeted population.
If a word actually has a hyphen in it, and that would be normally the way someone would type it in for a search, one would think that would be more popular. The way to answer that might be to compare search engine results for some hyphenated and non-hyphenated combo, and see the rankings.

Hopefully, some of the pros here can chime in with their insights.

•••
Thank you, all that makes sense.

Would love to hear as many opinions as possible on this subject

•••

As always, depends. Plenty words to register today in any dictionary (American, British, whatever), but it's pretty pointless if nobody knows what the word is. It's a common misconception when people hear that one-word dictionary words are valuable. They certainly can be, if they're understood, and not just any random crap (especially a new / unknown word). As a Brit, if you asked me would I prefer words from the American or British dictionary, I'd have to say American. The world turns to the American way far more, considering size / dominance, equaling a larger pool of end users. Not to say British dictionary has small value, of course it doesn't. I only mean this generally, given what I said about buyers

Again, depends. A lot depends on your end user too. Take for example six-pack. Would I take the technical six-pack over six pack. I'd take non hyphen, personally. Anti-theft over anti theft. Again, if given the luxury of choice, I'd take non hyphen. However, hyphen is appropriately placed in both examples, and still considerably valuable

Last edited:
•••
•••
Sometimes just do your own deductions. Visualize what you are looking at and put yourself in the shoes of the end user as to how they will present the domain name. Some domains actually look better with the proper hyphen separation. For example if the hyphen separates back to back repeating characters. In terms of British vs American, American is always more favourable (<--- British spelling there btw but I'm Canadian so natural) because the vast majority of dot-com usage/registrations lean towards the States.

Great question, and would love to see some side-by-side examples/usage of American vs British sales of the same word. eg, favor vs favour

•••
@HotKey Thanks for the additional information

•••
In terms of British vs American, American is always more favourable (<--- British spelling there btw but I'm Canadian so natural) because the vast majority of dot-com usage/registrations lean towards the States.
Well, isn't the Canadian dictionary the one that is most favourable? Where's that national pride? Or will this lead to a "kerfuffle" among the NamePros Brits, Yankees and Canucks?

•••
I live in the UK so would prefer the UK spelling......If I was anywhere else probably the US version

@jhm touched on it but there is no valuable 1 word domains left to hand reg in the English language - I've gone thought the below list and found nothing worth regging......

https://github.com/dwyl/english-words - A text file containing over 466k English words.

If a new trend or tech pops up and you are quick enough there might be a chance to grab something decent or if you are ahead of the curve - expect to hold for a potentially long time in this case though

Last edited:
•••
I love single word domains. They dont seem to sell though, so am slowly getting rid. I have even dropped on this month (its in grace period and you are welcome to it for free if you want the auth code).

I always check the collins english dictionary first to see if its a 'real' English word like osmesis
I consider the difference between the UK and American spellings eg color and colour and check if there is competition from the other if I am creating a site
I consider if people would understand it, if its not in the dictionary eg. beethovian (someone who likes beethoven).
I conside if it usually has a hypen eg forestlike vs forest-like
I also look at slang in urban dictionary such as rawrt (dinosaur farts, lol)

•••
I love single word domains. They dont seem to sell though, so am slowly getting rid. I have even dropped on this month (its in grace period and you are welcome to it for free if you want the auth code).

I always check the collins english dictionary first to see if its a 'real' English word like osmesis
I consider the difference between the UK and American spellings eg color and colour and check if there is competition from the other if I am creating a site
I consider if people would understand it, if its not in the dictionary eg. beethovian (someone who likes beethoven).
I conside if it usually has a hypen eg forestlike vs forest-like
I also look at slang in urban dictionary such as rawrt (dinosaur farts, lol)

Really. You're letting one drop? What's the word?

•••
Really. You're letting one drop? What's the word?
chestiness .com - if you want it, its still in grace period and im happy to give you the auth code for free

•••
I live in the UK so would prefer the UK spelling......If I was anywhere else probably the US version

@jhm touched on it but there is no valuable 1 word domains left to hand reg in the English language - I've gone thought the below list and found nothing worth regging......

https://github.com/dwyl/english-words - A text file containing over 466k English words.

If a new trend or tech pops up and you are quick enough there might be a chance to grab something decent or if you are ahead of the curve - expect to hold for a potentially long time in this case though
I went through the same list at the beginning of last year. Only got to C because it was very time consuming. I found clarinettists .com , but I guess the key is VALUABLE.

Last edited:
•••
chestiness .com - if you want it, its still in grace period and im happy to give you the auth code for free

Not for me but I appreciate the offer. Was just curious what the word was.

•••
To my mind, Just staying aware of alternative spellings should be in every domainers mindset. Caught me out a few times in my early domain days 1999. Thinking American money for what were UK spellings

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back