IT.COM

.mobi Another blogger chimes in all though they are all apart of the same clique

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Mark said:
start showing what "YOU" are doing. In order to promote it now - You'll need to get more Devs up by "YOU" folks -
Bravo Mark, Bravo! :)

Agreed.

I've promulgated Payroll.mobi WorkComp.mobi (BIG thanks to Andreas with APKC!). Several of my dotMobi and dotcom projects leveraging generics are being conceptualized....the MobileWeb ecosystem is growing day by day! :talk:

And Mark's point brings up a great segue point made by mTLD PR Director, Vance Hedderel who articulated the following on Monday afternoon....

Someone asks Vance on the mtld blog, "Besides development, what suggestions do you have for .mobi oriented individuals and companies that want to help advance the dotmobi namespace and contribute to mTLD success?"

Vance's response:

1. Let companies whose brands you use know that you want them to have a .mobi site and -- importantly -- what you'd want the site to do. Book reservations? Find the ATMs in a neighborhood? Offer mobile-only coupons? Brands listen to their customers (well, good brands do).

2. Support companies who've gone .mobi and let them know that you appreciate the ability access them wherever you are.

3. Show your family, friends, co-workers and neighbors .mobi sites. Word of mouth is an incredibly powerful marketing tool.

4. Build a personal business site. Add the address to your business card.

That's just a few to get you started .

Rock On!!

:)

Michael

•••
I respectfully disagree that we are building a directory with the few corporate uses of .mobi here. Few is a very poor choice to describe it IMO. In fact, major campaigns are in the works and their development will be top notch. Its big stuff. If only a few companies put out a .mobi, we would have not posted about them on a weekly basis past, present and definitely future. Frankly, we are excited and we should be.

One of the most exciting things to me are big companies regging mobi in October, 2007. Google (read opensocial.mobi any way you want to) and others I have found. I think those regs demonstrate more than CYA, I think they are offensive regs and not defensive ones. Thats big support for .mobi.

This brings me to my next point. With mobile being a very hot topic (conservative statement) among us and the biggest global corporations, we are trying to understand where it is all going and track it. The .tv section is very interested with brick and mortar tv and where it is going. Other extensions don't necessarily have that. With every post, every piece of news I am inspired by what is happening and making choices in what I do and I hope I inspire others.

If the erealestate analogy holds up, .com investors would generally not want another extension to be used in a mainstream way as it dillutes market share. This is especially the case for a newly invented extension that is gaining mommentum, almost like your native people are going to an alien planet for commerce and your leaking that traffic to an unforseen economy. It also hurts when people had the chance to invest and didn't, so one may act like a sore loser. Many of the posters on the net that say mobi is stupid, sucks or has coffin nails are large .com investors. I wish .com investors well, i am one. I wish all a piece of the pie and those that peg where the consumers go the largest slices. I wish the internet well, domaining well and the mobile space well.

There are no bad answers, I just will continue to seek them here and abroad. If I need to sort through the drama, I chalk it up to an expense of me doing due diligence in my domaining affairs. If I get a smaller slice of revenue in investing in mobi than .com or .tv or .de, I just hope my slice is nice enough that I would have done it again. :)

•••
To me at least, all the .mobi bashing is a good sign. It means people are aware of the extension and of what it represents: change. We'll soon (to be understood sometime within the next decade) be using our mobiles insted of our computers to do the bulk of surfing. This is a negative sum game: the traffic gained by .mobi will be traffic lost by other extensions, mainly .com. And obviously there will be those trying to fight this change, but in the end the advent of mobile internet is a logical necessity and therefore unstopable.

So hell, no amout of mobi bashing should scare us. In fact we should only be scared if there was none!

•••
"And so, my fellow Mobians: ask not what dot mobi can do for you - ask what you can do for dot mobi." -JFK

•••
i'm a mobier. you can be a mobian if you go that way.. :)

•••
MDA said:
..... We'll soon (to be understood sometime within the next decade) be using our mobiles insted of our computers to do the bulk of surfing......

Out of all the comments in here, I have to say this is a for-reaching thought.
The likelyhood of all people giving up their pc's to do everything on a 3 inch screen is silly at best.

That's about like saying that millions of programmers in india will be tossing in their pc's to program via their iphones.

Aside from that, each person has their own beliefs in their personal extension of choice. Tons, read:majority, of domainers see anything other then com as complete and utter wastes of money. I don't agree with that, but I harbor no ill will against their opinion. The mobi section tends to be a bit more volitile than other sections, but that is understandable considering the big companies investing, and the huge amount of people in hear cheerleading the extension.

I also agree that all the good ones are indeed gone, and the ony thing being registered anymore is just not that good. The part I don't understand though is that if mobi is such a hot property, why is the sales section so weak? There seem to be tons of names in there that to me look good, so why is no one buying?

Full Disclosure: I am divesting myself of mobi, as they don't fit with my business plans.

•••
^Some great points there IMHO, and also some that I tend to disagree with.

I'm trying to stay out of the debate, since I've said my piece already.

As a quick response to your question about sales though, the answer IMO is in this thread:

http://www.namepros.com/dot-mobi/393711-sedo-3-100-more-mtld-premiums.html#post2325399

IMHO anyone who has to sell now - before the announced mTLD premium sales are over - is in an unprecedented position from a supply and demand point of view (obviously not in their favor).

When I say 'unprecedented', I really mean it.

No doubt somebody will correct me if I'm wrong - but I don't think there has ever been anything close to this level of supply of phenomenal keywords being poured into the secondary market within a period of a couple of months - in any extension, regardless of age.

For those familiar with the 80/20 principle, just looking at the list of keywords in the above thread would make it obvious that we are effectively dealing with a second land-rush here - and would you really expect to be able to sell any land during a land-rush?

%%-

Last edited:
•••
TheBulldog said:
Out of all the comments in here, I have to say this is a for-reaching thought.
The likelyhood of all people giving up their pc's to do everything on a 3 inch screen is silly at best.

.................................................................................................

Full Disclosure: I am divesting myself of mobi, as they don't fit with my business plans.

Among the arguments against mobile internet there always seems to come up the small size of the screen and that it is difficult to type. That was also my first reaction when I first heard of mobile surfing.

But the more I think about it, it seems to me that this reaction is only because we are used to doing things a certain way and any other feels strange and unnatural.

However, using a standard keybord I'm sure also feels strange to someone who's never seen one before, but once you get used to it, you find that it's quite a handy tool.

So I think people will get used to using their mobiles for navigation, simply because the advantages far outweight the disadvantages.

Look at Japan for example. They are a few years ahead of the rest of the world in telecomunications and you can look there to get some idea of how the future will look like.

Mobile surfing is part of their daily life. I don't know exactly the proportion of mobile surfing to desktop surfing in Japan, but I would definetly be interested to see a comparison if anybody has one.

Also, a huge proportion of the developed .mobi's are Japanese sites. Do you think it's a coincidence?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back