NameSilo

Another (Appraisal) Scammer...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I got an email asking about a domain name I have listed for sale. Right away I was pretty sure it was bogus, but I decided to play along to be sure. I sent an email back saying I wanted $100,000 US for the domain. I got an email back within a couple of hours saying OK, they would buy it, but first I need to get an appraisal done... blah blah blah, same as the other scams reported here...

Here is the email:

To Whom It May Concern,

I'm interested in your domain listed for sale.

Have you received bids from other buyers?

Could you be so kind to drop me your desired price?

If I can afford it I'll reply.

Selling & buying names is not my main business. Just another way to invest free money and make income.

Please keep our correspondence confidential.

Best regards,

Timothy Belliveau

Ph. D. President

Skalle Bank

and the response

100,000 USD. Ok.

Do you sell a developed site or just domain name? If you don't have a site it's not a problem. I'm mostly interested in domain names without content.

Do you have an appraisal of your domain? I need an appraisal certificate for domain priced in your range. Domain name is an investment for me. I'm going to sell your name later and make a profit. If I overpay I won't be able to make a profit in the future. It's very important for you and me to know the current market value of your domain.

Please note that I don't trust free or cheap appraisals. So I cannot accept appraisal from each and every site.

To avoid mistakes I asked domain experts about reputable appraisal companies in a forum
http://www.domaintalk.ourplace.com/Archive/23076.htm

Juck check this posting.

After I verify an appraisal from you we'll continue our negotiations.

How do you prefer to get paid: www.PayPal.com, www.escrow.com, check or wire?

Looking forward to your reply.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Skalle Bank

:lol:

"Skalle Bank" is Norwegian slang for Headache...

:lol:

What e-mail address did he use this time?

•••
•••
These people need to give it a break and that forum needs to delete that post.

•••
I don't think that's a forum at all, but just one page made to look like a forum..
There's nothing more there (as far as I can see)...

Do you have the complete header of the e-mail by the way?

•••
It is just in my Gmail account, the only header info is this:

To:
Date: Jun 11, 2005 1:40 PM
Subject: <domain name> (sent 06/11/05)

Obvioulsy i removed my address and the domain name... Is there any way to obtain any more info about the email?

•••
This is the same as Sarah Murray :)

•••
:bah:

Ignore! :yell:

I've gotten the same e-mail as well; different name though.

True_Snake

•••
i got scammed, not cool

but i am still here, aren't i???

-Steve

•••
lol you shouldve went farther. skelle bank you dont say what branch? oh christ i do business there. lol something in does lines

•••
Just got the same email today, it appears that Mr. Belliveau is quite a busy man :hehe:

I own the .com, .net and .org of the name in question, and the email specifically mentioned the .org. I find that odd.

•••
I got that exact same e-mail from a Peter Weldon from the Skalle Group. Luckily I Googled this so-called Skalle Group and found out it was a scam.

•••
If I suspect it's a scam... I'd say "Hello. Thanks for your offer. The price is $900,000,000,000,000.99 USD."

If they okay it, they're a scammer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back