Dynadot

Am I going in the right direction?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Yoocandoit

Established Member
Impact
Hi Domainers

I'm new and found out about domaining over the last 3 -4 days, the last 2 days i went on a buying binge and registered 15 domains, that cost me £100 in total, or as i see it £8.49 per month. That means maintaining my tiny portfolio costs less than 10 bucks a month, for you guys in the states.

I'm comfortable with that as a starting point, and i don't plan on buying anymore until i know exactly what i'm doing. I think i have chosen at least 50% useful keyworded commercially focused domains, with all but two of them being dot coms.

Here is what i have done so far.
  • redirected them all to landing pages on Sedo
  • made them available for buy it now prices
  • added relevant keyword subjects on the landing page
  • indexed them with google
They are new and subject to the 60 day rule, so to be honest i don't see ANY point in auctioning them yet because that just alienates any buyers who want a transfer to a different registrar.

That's where i'm at currently, what i am interested in now is traffic generation and PPC revenue on the landing pages. I will wait at least 3 months before even thinking about selling them proactively.

I think the chances are very slim that someone will stumble across my page and think 'ooh it's for sale i want it' no that is for the dreamers and the naive.

I have some digital real estate, Yay! but isn't the key making it worth something?

I've heard stories of people 'domain flipping' like they buy a domain for £1 and sell it the same day for £500, i think a lot people get caught up in that hype, some people probably have done that i'm sure, but is it far more likely that your domain will sell once you have actually got it doing 'something' ie: people actually visit the site, people actually click on your links or it has a lot of commercial potential to someone else based on the keywords you have in the title.

I've heard a lot about aged domains, makes me think if its even worth it to wait 5 - 10 years before selling them, but on the other hand i've seen people buy brand new domains for thousands and to be honest whilst im not shy of doing some work, i am a bit impatient and don't really want to wait 10 years before my domain is worth something. I also don't see the point in selling a domain for less than a few hundred pounds or dollars, i would rather work on making it worth that amount than flipping domains for 20- 50 bucks a time.

Anyway that's what i'm up to

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, you're doing the right things, but at the heart of domaining is acquiring high quality domains. This is the really hard part. Based on your post, it seems you likely hand registered your domains. This indicates that they were probably less than premium.

That being said, yes, generating income from the domains is a nice way to offset the costs associated with maintaining the domains. Also, since you are planning on selling them if the right offer comes along, the exposure you will gain by listing them on Sedo can't hurt.

Sounds like you're on the right track, but the big question is, what are the domains you registered? Might be great, might be a waste of money. Can't tell you unless you share the names.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
•••
Well, you're doing the right things, but at the heart of domaining is acquiring high quality domains. This is the really hard part. Based on your post, it seems you likely hand registered your domains. This indicates that they were probably less than premium.

That being said, yes, generating income from the domains is a nice way to offset the costs associated with maintaining the domains. Also, since you are planning on selling them if the right offer comes along, the exposure you will gain by listing them on Sedo.

Sounds like you're on the right track, but the big question is, what are the domains you registered? Might be great, might be a waste of money. Can't tell you unless you share the names.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your input.

i think the best one i have is lockfixers.com and gutentagdeutschland.com (hello germany) i also have hypetrades.com fixcars.xyz. they are probably my best keyword related ones.

•••
Well, I'm no expert appraiser, but best of luck!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back